freight levels and the sales force

disturbed1

TB Lurker
Credits
from what i have seen we could be picking up a hell of alot of more freight out there..what is the salesmen doing out there? a whole lot of nothing if you ask me...maybe i'm impatient but if you bring it to the attention of the saleman about a stop where you see other freight companies going in..do something about it.not give the driver the same song and dance...we need to be picking up one,two three skids or whatever the amount from EVERYBODY OUT THERE!...i know sometimes it's not the shipper but their customer..maybe we missed a delivery or two...all companies do it...but for one terminal to get a pickup, the guys on the other end have to make sure it gets there...there are alot of guys who hate this company and think if they dont deliver it hurts the company...it hurts all of us not them..they will be the first to tell us to stay home not the office ...dispatchers who screw things up throughout the day will always work.. we will be sent home when it's slow...we all have to eat..if the salesman cant at least make a phone call to the terminal where the freight is routed then they need to be asked why their not doing the job 100%...any freight is added revenue if we are not picking it up now, so we need to get the freight ...now is not the time to be picky what we are going to be picking things up....we also need to expand quickly .i feel everything east of the mississippi river is where we should have terminals...less interling of freight the less damage that can occur...any news of expanding further for nemf?

You do realize that there are salesmen out there that work for other companies.

You do realize that these accts have relationships with other carriers as well.

You do realize that you cannot just call an account and say give me your business.

The same way the NEMF guys are doing everything possible to hold on to their accounts, NPME, Pyle and the other carriers are doing the same thing.

Besides I know the two sales reps for you guys over there and they are pretty well respected:hysterical:

In my terminal nobody cares. Dispather looks in your in your eyes & tells you he don't care.We all say if the DRIVER DOSEN'T DO IT IT DON'T GET DONE!

In my terminal nobody cares. Dispather looks in your in your eyes & tells you he don't care.We all say if the DRIVER DOSEN'T DO IT IT DON'T GET DONE!

What kills me about that is we all know that layoffs are going to happen there will be no way around it, do you think that a dispatcher or local terminal management is going to get hit in the wallet and stay home, is the sales force going to stay home? NO the drivers and dockworkers will get layed off so we have to pick up as much freight as we can get our hands on, load it properly, and make sure it safely gets delivered. But that is just our job, we also have to extend every courtesy to any customer shipper or reciever, and talk good about the company outside the terminals. Deal with personal gripes at your terminal stop bad-mouthing outside. Have some PRIDE in what pays your bills (almost).:smilie_132:

SHOULD GET BETTER the 2nd quarter of 2009.

It's now the end of September, and this should have been a booming month, but it was not, and that's for all the freight carriers. Retail orders for the Holidays are down, because retailers know people are not going to spend this Holiday season. And with all the people who have lost there jobs,and those who found new jobs making less and with so many foreclosures on homes, its bad for a lot of people out there. Hopefully after the Presidential Election, things will start to improve. But probably not until the 2nd quarter of 2009.

If any of you fella's have some good sales leads and your sales folks are not following up on them, send them my way, I will close them....Applebee's cards for all those sales leads you send me and I close out for NPME......

If any of you fella's have some good sales leads and your sales folks are not following up on them, send them my way, I will close them....Applebee's cards for all those sales leads you send me and I close out for NPME......

Come on! Maybe you should drive by the Yellow and Roadway terminals and see how you will fit in...........or how the new YRC logo will look on your green truck. Don't get me wrong, New Penn is a good company, but certainly not what it was 5-10 years ago.

New Penn I heard it was going to become YRC LONGHAUL. keep in mind YRC has a lot of debt so what happen when their rates rise where are the smaller companies gonna go?

let me just get this outta the way. what RDWY & Yellow are doing has nothing to do with New Penn. they are the longhaul outfits. we are the next-day carrier. they both cannot match what we do, plain & simple. whether or not NP "is not the same as 5-10 yrs. ago" is irrelevant. last time i checked, 10 yrs. ago there was no recession, there was no Yellow in charge, there was no USF partnership, etc., etc. through it all, us workers at NP make this co. the top notch LTL in the northeast. for the record, we at NP still operate in the high 80's. that my friends is a fact.

let me just get this outta the way. what RDWY & Yellow are doing has nothing to do with New Penn. they are the longhaul outfits. we are the next-day carrier. they both cannot match what we do, plain & simple. whether or not NP "is not the same as 5-10 yrs. ago" is irrelevant. last time i checked, 10 yrs. ago there was no recession, there was no Yellow in charge, there was no USF partnership, etc., etc. through it all, us workers at NP make this co. the top notch LTL in the northeast. for the record, we at NP still operate in the high 80's. that my friends is a fact.

ditto on that brother
or as bill murray would say
"just a fact sirrrrrrr"

new penn has always made money that is fact... i am more concerned with whats going on here at nemf....there's no reason we cant grow and do it all...i'm saying is the freight levels could be higher if we had just alittle more communication between dispatchers, some dam upgraded computers that do not reboot every hour..more communication between drivers and dispatch could go a long way, but nemf wanted to save money and get rid of the tool that helped everyone in an instant with pickups...the nextels....the dispatchers should be held more accountable for their actions in sending two drivers to the same pickup, lying to customers by saying the driver is around the corner when the driver is a good 45 min away...etc...but its always the drivers fault...right everyone?

Please post the operating numbers. I'd be very interested in seeing them.

No heresay..

I hear the opposite is occurring at New Penn

When you are ready to work for real people come on over to ODFL, we don`t cut corners to get your freight. We pickup/deliver on time, so go ahead and pay those union dues, when it is over you will be at the bottom starting over agian.

When you are ready to work for real people come on over to ODFL, we don`t cut corners to get your freight. We pickup/deliver on time, so go ahead and pay those union dues, when it is over you will be at the bottom starting over agian.

Are you for real ODFL stock has tanked for 2 quarters and their operating cost outweigh the volume of freight that is shipped. You haven't done your research!!!!

I have heard the same but again just rumors.

Lesson number one:chairshot:Do not listen to Puff as he has a so called grudge against any union carrier.As far as NP goes :butt kiss:ask Uncle Sal I am sure he knows how we are doing..Np will be around for quite a long time,maybe you should stop by and pick up and app
This is for inthegame are you for real???:hysterical:OD cant come close to NP,heck I see your guy go back everyday with just about nothing on his trailer and if it wasn't for customer routed freight he would most likely go back empty and even with the little amount they get they still miss pick ups and if you want to bash the unions there is a thread for it, not on this one...

I have heard the same but again just rumors.

Lesson number one:chairshot:Do not listen to Puff as he has a so called grudge against any union carrier.As far as NP goes :butt kiss:ask Uncle Sal I am sure he knows how we are doing..Np will be around for quite a long time,maybe you should stop by and pick up and app

Not intererested in starting all over again at the bottom I'm good where I'm at for now thanx for the invite though.

you must be completely out of your mind bro. i could NEVER work for a company that pays you straight time after 8. and you say cutting corners...you guys pick up the garbage in NYC that we refuse to haul. you guys dramatically drop your rates when you wanna compete with anyone in YRC or ABF. i was just at one of my regular pickup stops last month where you guys get 1 pallet a week and your salesman, in order to get more frt., gave the shipping guy box seats to the Yankees game. guess what ? they just dropped you guys :hysterical: thanks for the great seats to the game. and as for paying union dues, that's right, i'm gonna keep paying them cause i seriously doubt im gonna be starting over, let alone at a dump like ODFL !