ABF | Freight Teamsters: Time To Unite For The 2013 Contract!

So that I don't get my ass chewed again and to get this back on Topic are we United for 2013? Or is that all just TDU hype?

Had a chance to kick old YRC to the curb and come over to ABF, best move I ever made! We will get a decent contract, and I feel we will get an early agreement

So that I don't get my ass chewed again and to get this back on Topic are we United for 2013? Or is that all just TDU hype?

IMO...It will be only the ABF Teamsters that will have to be United for 2013 contract!

This quote in the article is not accurate:

ABF is the lead dog in this bargaining round, because YRC has a concession addendum until 2015. But YRC Teamsters will be affected by this contract, too.

YRC wages are pegged at 85 percent of the contract wage, and so will go up (or even down) with the contract. YRC health benefits, working conditions and job protections (or lack thereof) are on the line, too.

YRC wages will not go up or down with the upcoming contract. YRC already have their wages and Health & Welfare Contributions outlined until 2015 in the YRC Restructuring Agreement:

6. Wage Increases. This Restructuring Plan provides for hourly rate increases and equivalent mileage rate increase of
$0.40 per hour on April 1, 2011, $0.45 per hour on April 1, 2012, $0.40 per hour on April 1, 2013 and $0.40 per hour on April 1,

11. Health & Welfare Contributions.
(a) The increase in Employer contributions to health and welfare shall be (i) on August 1, 2011: $0.35 per hour;
(ii) on August 1, 2012: $0.35 per hour; (iii) on August 1, 2013: $0.35 per hour; and (iv) on August 1, 2014: $0.35 per hour. The
trigger in all Supplements for qualifying for a week’s health and welfare contribution will be three (3) days. Those Supplements
on an hourly contribution will continue their respective practices. The contractual provision in the NMFA supplemental agreements
authorizing the Supplemental Negotiating Committee to determine the allocation of the health, welfare and pension contribution
increases shall be suspended during the Non-Permanent Pension Contribution Termination Period and during the term
of this Restructuring Plan. The contribution increases made during the Non-Permanent Pension Contribution Termination Period
shall be made only to health and welfare funds.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=yrc%20restructuring%20agreement&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CFwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.teamster.org%2Fsites%2Fteamster.org%2Ffiles%2F67753YRCMOU.pdf&ei=LjDOT-baLaaw2QWR7_XbDA&usg=AFQjCNEOZPoLtudr6M2cv8G9T0e7UvS-kA&cad=rja

R-14 lets get it out and settle it once and for all. I responded to an insult with a name call 5-6 times..yet I was singled out for the name calling. I gave an opinion with links about topics that concern YRC-ABF but was attacked for it being hate-mail. I know I'm at a disadvantage here given a certain individual is allowed to spew insults and demeaning comments at will but this is bs. Either a mod stops the insults in their tracks or allows it. This is not the first time insults originating from a certain individual escalated out of control and ended closing a good thread or having a mod step in to end it. Who in the hell is he to blatantly break the rules and get away with it time after time?

Let's get the facts straight...shall we Joe? We are both equally to blame on the name calling...accept that for what it is and quit crying and whining about it.If it bothers that much to get insults returned then the logical thing would be to not initiate the insults which you always seem to do. But no...not Joe...that arrogance of his thinks he's beyond that and should be able to give insults without having them given right back to him.Yours is a simple case of dishing it out but can't take it...you are just a crybaby. And that's not an insult...that's just the truth.

So Joe...the fact of the matter is we both break the rules but the difference between you and me is that I admit that fact but all you do is cry about it.

IMO...It will be only the ABF Teamsters that will have to be United for 2013 contract!

This quote in the article is not accurate:

YRC wages will not go up or down with the upcoming contract. YRC already have their wages and Health & Welfare Contributions outlined until 2015 in the YRC Restructuring Agreement:

6. Wage Increases. This Restructuring Plan provides for hourly rate increases and equivalent mileage rate increase of
$0.40 per hour on April 1, 2011, $0.45 per hour on April 1, 2012, $0.40 per hour on April 1, 2013 and $0.40 per hour on April 1,

11. Health & Welfare Contributions.
(a) The increase in Employer contributions to health and welfare shall be (i) on August 1, 2011: $0.35 per hour;
(ii) on August 1, 2012: $0.35 per hour; (iii) on August 1, 2013: $0.35 per hour; and (iv) on August 1, 2014: $0.35 per hour. The
trigger in all Supplements for qualifying for a week’s health and welfare contribution will be three (3) days. Those Supplements
on an hourly contribution will continue their respective practices. The contractual provision in the NMFA supplemental agreements
authorizing the Supplemental Negotiating Committee to determine the allocation of the health, welfare and pension contribution
increases shall be suspended during the Non-Permanent Pension Contribution Termination Period and during the term
of this Restructuring Plan. The contribution increases made during the Non-Permanent Pension Contribution Termination Period
shall be made only to health and welfare funds.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=yrc%20restructuring%20agreement&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CFwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.teamster.org%2Fsites%2Fteamster.org%2Ffiles%2F67753YRCMOU.pdf&ei=LjDOT-baLaaw2QWR7_XbDA&usg=AFQjCNEOZPoLtudr6M2cv8G9T0e7UvS-kA&cad=rja

Looks as it will be ABF makeing the calls. If anyone is interested I can suggest a few things not to do without giving it a lot of thought ahead of time. Same things I said when we went through it........The only reason I have a pension is due to the NMFA and the MEPF. I suspect that is gonna be your biggest issue.

Looks as it will be ABF makeing the calls. If anyone is interested I can suggest a few things not to do without giving it a lot of thought ahead of time. Same things I said when we went through it........The only reason I have a pension is due to the NMFA and the MEPF. I suspect that is gonna be your biggest issue.

I...for one would like to hear your suggestions like I'm sure that many others would too Wolf. Although we have our differences...I do respect the years you have in and realize the knowledge and experience that comes with that.

I...for one would like to hear your suggestions like I'm sure that many others would too Wolf. Although we have our differences...I do respect the years you have in and realize the knowledge and experience that comes with that.
Take care of the two that I mentioned and the other stuff will fall into place...I do not know how this is gonna go down but I would lay odds the 30 and out ABF Pension is gonna be top on the table. And I really can't say it wouldn't be worth considering. Gotta remember just a few short years ago Most CF, Yellow and Roadway guys were set for life. I don't ever expect it to happen but if UPS ever downsizes or sells out those guys will not be able to continue there Pension elswhere...I do not like 401s...I know all corporations do now days, its not for our benefit, defined pension is the way to go. Think hard before giving up MEPF. The Money, Vacations, Working Conditions may seem to be important now, but there is a day in everyones future when it becomes crystal clear whats important. And for Gods sake for you youngsters out there...GOOD HEALTH CARE become priceless when loved ones get sick....do not skimp on that. Many at YRC are learning this painful lesson as we speak.......And one last thing I would suggest....Limits on forced OT.....if an individual wants to work he at least got nobody to blame when he gets educated to what was important. Thats my Soap Box rant.

I welcome your input too, Wolf, I am always willing to listen, might not do what's recommended but will listen.

I see pension and health insurance being hot buttons for ABF along with some changes in work rules. It looks to me like they want everyone to be a utility employee. I'm willing to bet that they're willing to pay a premium for it too seeing as it saves the company a lot of money with every road driver they get converted. I do not know the ratio of road men:city men but I do know that such a change will promote animosity amongst the rank and file. On the overtime issue an agreement that everything over 10 hours in a day will be paid at double-time rate would be great. It would provide incentive for the company to get us out on 10 and make us feel better if we had to work more than 10.

I welcome your input too, Wolf, I am always willing to listen, might not do what's recommended but will listen.

I see pension and health insurance being hot buttons for ABF along with some changes in work rules. It looks to me like they want everyone to be a utility employee. I'm willing to bet that they're willing to pay a premium for it too seeing as it saves the company a lot of money with every road driver they get converted. I do not know the ratio of road men:city men but I do know that such a change will promote animosity amongst the rank and file. On the overtime issue an agreement that everything over 10 hours in a day will be paid at double-time rate would be great. It would provide incentive for the company to get us out on 10 and make us feel better if we had to work more than 10.
All good points........and as added incentive for forced OT......Pension and Health paid for all time. Not just 8 per day and 5 a week. As far as the Utility for me I never seen it as a problem I could'nt live with...then again I had a CDL. Whats the Ol saying....for that kind of money I would shovel Poop. Yea I know guys on the Dock can do it way beter than me. But I'll leave that for another arguement.

There is no doubt that this contract will be the GOLD STANDARD for all the future freight contracts. We will have to review all the pro's and con's and decide what we feel will be best. You all have seen my post on the MEPF defined pensions. they as Wolf stated are a very much appreciated benefit once you have retired. We will have to find a way. It is here we just have to find it. I will not be surprised if they approach us and want what the UAW allowed them to do to the new hires. That seems to be their best bet. But we will see. YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!

The biggest stickler on any change in the pension arrangements will be how those who are well on their way to a benefit-30 and out etc. but not quite there. There would be a need for some grandfathering. What concerns me the most is that the exodus from the MEPF's right now will hasten their demise. Hoffa and company have let UPS out of CSPF and I expect other funds around the country are next. YRC is putting as much in now as they ever will if not more than they will be in the future. It appears as though they have opened the exit gate for pipeline contractors and who knows what group is next. I feel a seriously endangered rating coming the a fund near me soon.

The biggest stickler on any change in the pension arrangements will be how those who are well on their way to a benefit-30 and out etc. but not quite there. There would be a need for some grandfathering. What concerns me the most is that the exodus from the MEPF's right now will hasten their demise. Hoffa and company have let UPS out of CSPF and I expect other funds around the country are next. YRC is putting as much in now as they ever will if not more than they will be in the future. It appears as though they have opened the exit gate for pipeline contractors and who knows what group is next. I feel a seriously endangered rating coming the a fund near me soon.
They managed to get the UPS guys to vote for it I could see something equally tempting for the ABF guys if the IBT feels the price is right.

They managed to get the UPS guys to vote for it I could see something equally tempting for the ABF guys if the IBT feels the price is right.

It's hard to believe UPS teamsters went for it in Central States. What were they thinking? What is a $3000.00 pension today after taxes and inflation are figured in? Dental, eye glasses and medical could eat you up. And it gets worse the longer you live. An ABF pension would spell doom as far as being able to afford to retire. One needs a 30 year teamster service pension and social security to even think about retiring.

minimum !!

The forced overtime has always been a big issue with me as well as the pension.
It will never happen but I would like to see double overtime for anything worked over 10 hours in one shift. It would let the company still have the worker if they get in a bind and it would encourage them to hire a new worker instead of forcing guys like me who don't need or want the overtime.

It's hard to believe UPS teamsters went for it in Central States. What were they thinking? What is a $3000.00 pension today after taxes and inflation are figured in? Dental, eye glasses and medical could eat you up. And it gets worse the longer you live. An ABF pension would spell doom as far as being able to afford to retire. One needs a 30 year teamster service pension and social security to even think about retiring.

minimum !!
Right on the Money Joe, I'm living it so I know your correct. YRC left me little choice. I thought about a 5. 5 but also felt I better get the 30 and out while I still could. The alternative is to work till 62 as it stands now. 30 and out looks mighty good against that, or hoping the fund don't do even worse to the members before they reach eligibility. Maybe my Dooms Day Predation won't come to that but gotta be ready.

The forced overtime has always been a big issue with me as well as the pension.
It will never happen but I would like to see double overtime for anything worked over 10 hours in one shift. It would let the company still have the worker if they get in a bind and it would encourage them to hire a new worker instead of forcing guys like me who don't need or want the overtime.

Brother Boilerpeddle: How about pension service based on all time instead of a 40 hour week? If you work 60 hours, then you have a week-and-a-half's pension service. A lot of us would've retired by now at age 55 with probably 45 years' service...........

minimum !!
You need to READ and find out how UPS was able to get enough votes to get out of CSPF!
But if you do you will see your hoffa allowed a real under handed thing to take place. UPS part timers were allowed to vote on pulling out of CSPF and they were not even in the fund. That's right UPS offered the part timers dental insurance if the contract passed and that included voting out of CSPF. Just a little hoffa history. YOUR DISAPPOINTED BROTHER ALWAYS!

You need to READ and find out how UPS was able to get enough votes to get out of CSPF!
But if you do you will see your hoffa allowed a real under handed thing to take place. UPS part timers were allowed to vote on pulling out of CSPF and they were not even in the fund. That's right UPS offered the part timers dental insurance if the contract passed and that included voting out of CSPF. Just a little hoffa history. YOUR DISAPPOINTED BROTHER ALWAYS!
That tidbit is a very good point. However, UPS part timers have very little participation in these events and I would like to know by how many votes did that contract pass and how many part timers voted.

Brother Boilerpeddle: How about pension service based on all time instead of a 40 hour week? If you work 60 hours, then you have a week-and-a-half's pension service. A lot of us would've retired by now at age 55 with probably 45 years' service...........
Heck yeah! Its a rough life for a city driver (maybe linehaul too but I have never done that). Hurt backs, shoulders, knees, seems like every week I hear of someone who is going out for some injury or other. It would be nice to retire before I was completely used up and had some life left in me. And again it would go a long way towards making it cheaper to hire compared to using us up.

That tidbit is a very good point. However, UPS part timers have very little participation in these events and I would like to know by how many votes did that contract pass and how many part timers voted.

Members of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters ratified by a 65 percent approval rate...

About 190,000 ballots were printed and mailed to active members,which there were 44,000 full timers and about 90,000 members voted so it appears that the participation rate among eligible voters was about 50 percent. So...that left about 46,000 part timers that voted even if all the full timers voted which is unlikely.

BNA Daily Labor Report: Teamsters Approve UPS Contract, Five Supplements Rejected | Teamsters for a Democratic Union

Pension Grab Affects All Teamsters | Teamsters for a Democratic Union

Here are the preliminary UPS Vote Count Results:

UPS Vote Count Results | Teamsters for a Democratic Union

Last edited by a moderator: