Freightliner M2's

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
Hi guys today I saw a couple Sysco Freightliner M2's pulling 36' trailers.
What's the rational behind the M2? Iike I know for what we do in beverage distribution they are the standard truck, but what is Sysco's reason for having them? Like some times I'll see a super single pulling a 36' and other times an M2. Then I'll see a tandem axle pulling a 28' and an M2 pulling a 36' you would think it would be the other way around.

Hi guys today I saw a couple Sysco Freightliner M2's pulling 36' trailers.
What's the rational behind the M2? Iike I know for what we do in beverage distribution they are the standard truck, but what is Sysco's reason for having them? Like some times I'll see a super single pulling a 36' and other times an M2. Then I'll see a tandem axle pulling a 28' and an M2 pulling a 36' you would think it would be the other way around.

They probably got a deal in them. As far as what trucks are on what trailers, the trucks are assigned to drivers but you just pull whatever trailer the put you on. So it is a crapshoot as to what you get.

M2's are the worst trucks they pull alright bit they're so Low to the ground I'm hanging on to my international 8600 tandem here at Pfg as long they let me!

M2's are the worst trucks they pull alright bit they're so Low to the ground I'm hanging on to my international 8600 tandem here at Pfg as long they let me!

I think with the M2s those were supposed to be geared and sold to more of the beverage industry and straight truck industry. I know Sherwood Foods uses M2's to pull big trailers and stuff, but really those trucks are more medium duty and were meant for beverage work like pulling side loaders. The beer company I worked for that's the trucks that they had M2s which pretty much replaced the FL70. JTC Food Service of Maumee, Ohio has a pretty cool fleet Freightliner Casscadia 32ft straight trucks with freezer and cooler and lift gates I find that odd when these companies buy like a full size Casscadia straight truck, but that's there fleet the turning radius on those trucks has to be awful I remember when I got my bus endorsement driving a school bus those things you had to really turn and crank that wheel early, however I had a lot of practice backing up a 1995 Ford Econoline Van into a storage locker so backing the school bus was actually a piece of cake and I got pretty good at it, of course after a couple years now of backing semi trucks I hate to say this, but I think my straight truck and car backing skills have gone the other way as stupid as that sounds. I don't know JTC Foods must have it figured out and that's the kind of truck that works for them.

I know there's like 3 different kinds of the M2 the beer company I worked for they had on the first go around the smallest kind and those were pretty much under-powered and run into the ground and then they up dated the fleet and the second time around got the medium middle of the road version of the M2 which sat a tad higher and rode better and had way more features. It was a much better truck liked it a lot better, plus they went from small under powered Cats to Cummins Turbo Diesels and Cummins Turbo Diesels hauled in those trucks.

We are gradually going to all M2s. They are definitely underpowered for pulling a set(DD13). The cab isn't terribly comfortable. But this too shall pass.

We are gradually going to all M2s. They are definitely underpowered for pulling a set(DD13). The cab isn't terribly comfortable. But this too shall pass.

I work for GFS and GFS doesn't have a single Freightliner in the entire fleet well at least not here in the states. Were all Volvo except for some fringe Internationals that are still hanging on. I like our Volvo's better then the M2 freight liners.