Holland | Friday and Monday

No wonder we have so many casuals now, hell they'll probably start getting them from the temp services and the soup line before long.. Boy the tears would be rolling then wouldn't they!! I like time off myself, probably more than most.they should run this place like the military, :) try calling in sick on their asses every Friday!!

Ain't gonna happen at them " better"non union jobs either.
I've missed a few days without pay in 12 years,but I kinda feel like a sorry ass when I do.

You resent them because you didnt do the same. You should be at my barn the night before deer season opens. Maxed out vacation schedule and then perhaps another 40 to 50 call offs. Bummer.

Hell yeah,they aren't missing opening day here either(I prefer bird hunting).
But it's different for a man to miss a day to fulfill his true passion once a year,than
a man whose passion is to miss work.

Well the problem with that is it puts a major strain on all the dock workers, drivers and dispatchers that did show up for work. Not making deliveries and pickups and/or getting it done late is simply bad for business. I want to chill at the crib too but not because I called out sick. Being on a cold dock on Sunday night with 800 bills to bust and only 3 of you showed up will make you resent all the folks that call out on a Sunday night basis, or Friday night etc etc. that's just me though.

I agree with everything except the resent part.If they get away with it and that's what they
want to do its between them, management and the union.
Sometimes people take advantage of working for a union line by being sorry.It works out though because Holland has a lot of teamsters who are the best drivers and freight men in the industry.

You're absolutely right about it being bad for business,we have lost customers because they can't get their freight picked up or delivered the day before or after a holiday.
What's wrong about all of the bs Frootloop is there isn't a single person that works for Holland that
would put up with their workers missing work on Monday's and Friday's if it were their business.

Last edited:
No wonder we have so many casuals now, hell they'll probably start getting them from the temp services and the soup line before long.. Boy the tears would be rolling then wouldn't they!! I like time off myself, probably more than most.they should run this place like the military, :) try calling in sick on their asses every Friday!!
If you have sick days saved then there is nothing they can do about it. Tough ::shit:: for them.

If you have sick days saved then there is nothing they can do about it. Tough :::shit::: for them.

Sick days and vacation days aren't the problem,all companies have them.
The problem is those gaming the system.You are a steward and know all about it.
Company can't touch you with a doctors excuse or Fmla.People laugh about how easy it is to get on Fmla.One day,the law will change ( because of the abusers) and hurt the ones who need it. I don't know what will happen to the ones who go to the doctor once a week
,just because they are too lazy to work.We are protected with a doctors note ,and we should be ,but again,the abusers will eventually screw that up for the people who actually need it

If you have sick days saved then there is nothing they can do about it. Tough :::shit::: for them.
That's all good, and I agree one hundred percent! But it's usually tough ::shit:: for the road drivers because it's our Saturday's that are screwed because of a very broken system. I like time off as much as anyone, i also enjoy my weekends that I only get half of because the same ones Friday after Friday can't seem to make it to work! I realize there is nothing I can do about it, especially if the company and our union can't seem to control it! I don't have to like it, but I do have to live with it. For a few more weeks anyway, then I don't care if they only work one day a week. LOL

Sick days and vacation days aren't the problem,all companies have them.
The problem is those gaming the system.You are a steward and know all about it.
Company can't touch you with a doctors excuse or Fmla.People laugh about how easy it is to get on Fmla.One day,the law will change ( because of the abusers) and hurt the ones who need it. I don't know what will happen to the ones who go to the doctor once a week
,just because they are too lazy to work.We are protected with a doctors note ,and we should be ,but again,the abusers will eventually screw that up for the people who actually need it

Its not gaming the system just because you dont approve of someone elses time off. Its another advantage of being a teamster. How many alcohol slides do they get at non union barns? 0?

Is anyone surprised as to why the non-union companies fight until the death to keep the Union OUT?

When one of the biggest "benefits" of being a Union member is that you are allowed to skip work every week, you know that things are :censored: up at the union companies.

Geez, I wonder why there are no new freight companies being unionized.:scratchhead:

Screw the customers.
Screw your co-workers.

"Life is good........I'm Union."

Is anyone surprised as to why the non-union companies fight until the death to keep the Union OUT?

When one of the biggest "benefits" of being a Union member is that you are allowed to skip work every week, you know that things are :censored: up at the union companies.

Geez, I wonder why there are no new freight companies being unionized.:scratchhead:

Screw the customers.
Screw your co-workers.

"Life is good........I'm Union."
Flash you did it again. Right on point. Isn't it surreal when you get away from this business how everything becomes so clear.

Some of the old dogs like you and I remember the old days, back when there was a driver shortage on a Friday, you doubled up your load and busted ass to make service to the customers. I don't see it happening like that anymore. Now it seems that nobody will try to pick up the slack for those missing and would rather just say screw it, and bring the freight back or leave it sit at the terminal. Unfortunately, that's what happens when an employee has been beaten down by the company for too long, and never gets to see the sun shine through the dark clouds.
It's just a shame to see such a proud group of people fall to such depths. I'd like to nutkick everyone that's caused this mess.
I knew when it was time for me to leave.....it was when I realized how the company had taken away the pride that I had always had toward the company.

I grew up in this industry with the attitude that our internal problems were to be kept internally and fought out between us......and to never let the customers know about our problems that we had within. Clearly, nowadays, the problems from within have bleed over to the customers because of the bad morale. Back in the day, our customers were lead to believe that we had the greatest operation that had ever been put together.(even though we had issues)
I guess that I still live in the past, a past where we kept our internal issues hidden from the customers, which always kept the customers loving us.
My,my.....have things ever changed.

you pretend that you are some regulation era old timer, you said you spent 17 years here, and ended in 2011. YOU didn't know your contract, YOU do nothing but bitch about not having a babysitter READ the contract to you, and you cant stand getting called out on your BS. your new job obviously sucks ass, otherwise you wouldn't be living in the past on the Holland forum on truckingboards.

remember those grievances you were too stupid to win? said they went years? they owed you 8 a day, after 14 days, IF you had the balls to tell them in writing. either you are a coward, or your b/a that you call a "friend" is an illiterate idiot. seeing your other opinions, I'm guessing the latter. do the math, and then let that sink in. YOU didn't have the balls to ask for that money.

Last edited:
oh, btw, you don't get to "bargain" to transfer seniority when its a VOLUNTARY move, you only get to dovetail when its forced. just another fyi, since you seem to have comprehension issues.

you pretend that you are some regulation era old timer, you said you spent 17 years here, and ended in 2011. YOU didn't know your contract, YOU do nothing but bitch about not having a babysitter READ the contract to you, and you cant stand getting called out on your BS. your new job obviously sucks ass, otherwise you wouldn't be living in the past on the Holland forum on truckingboards.

remember those grievances you were too stupid to win? said they went years? they owed you 8 a day, after 14 days, IF you had the balls to tell them in writing. either you are a coward, or your b/a that you call a "friend" is an illiterate idiot. seeing your other opinions, I'm guessing the latter. do the math, and then let that sink in. YOU didn't have the balls to ask for that money.
Bill your way off track with this unfounded attack on Flash. This man has more integrity and union knowledge than you'll ever know. He was what was right when Holland was the top of the heep. Thank you for your years of service and as I have many times " the job is yours anytime your ready"lol

Sounds like Buffalobill has finally lost it. His bitterness is getting the best of him. He's pissed at me because he posted some inaccurate b.s. that I corrected him on......now he's got his shorts in a bind.
He hasn't been at Holland long enough to know how things used to be, he's only seen this ugly side of the company.
And he's already let the cat out of the bag. He's pretty much admitted that he's part of Holland's problem, not part of the solution.

You don't get paid 8 after 14 days until you win the grievance.