Fringe Benefits

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
I love fringe benefits today I got to take home a case of beer battered fish, because it was brought in by some specialized sales rep as samples to our sales people and then there were left over cases and my boss told me I could take some home, so I helped my self. Used to get actual beer samples at the beer company from time to time as well, that's the one thing about this business you get samples and fringe benefits like that.

I used to enjoy the fringes, Friday afternoons the warehouse guys would pull fresh stuff that was to close to a pull date and stack it up in the cooler for the taking, coming back Saturday had it's rewards, no many but that was one for sure.

Kboomarang, when you worked for Coremark what kind of accounts did you service for them?
Coremark is here in Ohio now I guess they were not always and aren't they like a competitor to Eby Brown? You know supply C-Stores with plastic totes full of merchandise?

Nationally their biggest account is Kroger's line of C-stores which vary in name and size throughout the country, Circle K is another but they're mostly out west I think, but they're starting to show up in the midwest now, Pamida is another, but usually with the bigger chains they're more of a "third party logistic" company, although there are product exceptions one would be tobacco which is always huge in C-stores, but generally they're like Eby go after chain business. They also do a lot of single store customers, truck stops, some college campus stores, and a lot of smaller regional chains. And if your seeing more of them it may be just because they're spending more money on graffics on the equipment or they opened a division in Ohio, other wise I know they had one south of Louisville.

About a year ago they opened up a warehouse in Solon, Ohio and there trucks are all marked and say Coremark on them. Twin Screw Freightliners and 28' pup trailers there fleet is almost a copy cat fleet of GFS in a way with the twin screw trucks and 28' trailers. I saw a Coremark truck at Murray USA in Mentor, Ohio on Wednesday that's Wal-Marts Gas Station brand. It seems to me there is a lot of people doing C-Store stuff, Eby Brown, Coremark, McLane I'm sure I'm missing someone else.

We have Circle K here, but Eby Brown does them here in Ohio. Eby Brown appears to be an around the clock operation last Friday night I saw one of there trucks pull into the Marathon Circle K at about 10pm at night to make a delivery.

Eby Brown has a lot of interesting equipment 28' trailers, 48' trailers day cabs sleeper cabs, twin screw straight trucks I see there straight trucks around doing routes, they must be able to cube them out and make them work.

Come to think of it last week when I was talking to one of the guys he mentioned they're starting to do Walmart's gas stations, this division switched to Volvos for the day-cabs this last lease cycle last summer, but still have Cascadia's for sleepers, I suppose they'll be Volvos next time too, which should be coming up, we used to always have 15 sleepers (Columbia's), and then they dropped it to only 7 when they got the Cascadia's mainly for the routes that would have a tougher time getting a motel or have a greater chance of getting shut down due to lack of hours or winter road conditions and most out of town guys didn't need a sleeper. I think out west they drive International's, they also get tandems because they're in higher demand when the lease is over so the write down in value is less when the lease is up and they get turned in. I know I've seen Ebys at all hours too, but the earliest I would actually start delivering was about 2 A.M. and would be the earliest any route would start delivering.

Years ago I used to deliver to the commissary that supplied fresh sandwiches/salads/etc to the 7-11 chain of convenience stores in the area, they were by the airport and also did the meals for the flights the sports teams chartered.
They ALWAYS had TONS of extras /leftoverst they were giving away to their employees and every week would invite me to help myself. Literally walked out of there with a box of crap every week.