XPO | From Driver to Dockworker : has anyone made this jump?

icuicp

TB Veteran
Credits
If you've been here for a while and you are a driver and you want to become a dockworker for whatever reason , do you keep your seniority? Do you go to the top of the dockworker pay scale? What about vacation time and retirement contributions?

Just curious to know from someone who may have experienced this first hand.

Keep in mind that a dockworker that decides to become a driver keeps his seniority from dockworker to driver so you would think the reverse would be true as well.

Also , since XPO Logistics is rolling out a "dockworkers on the dock - drivers on the road driving" policy , if a driver gets into trouble with their CDL is there a uniform company policy for working the dock until you have a clean CDL?

If you've been here for a while and you are a driver and you want to become a dockworker for whatever reason , do you keep your seniority? Do you go to the top of the dockworker pay scale? What about vacation time and retirement contributions?

Keep in mind that a dockworker that decides to become a driver keeps his seniority from dockworker to driver so you would think the reverse would be true as well.
He does in a way. You would keep you company seniority for layoff, vacation pick, and raises. You do go to the bottom of the list in that position. Meaning if you went from DSR to Dockworker you would be bottom man on the dockworker board. The same is true for the reverse.
At my barn we had a dockwork become a driver he was with the company about a year longer than me. When he became a DSR he went to the bottom of the DSR list.

He does in a way. You would keep you company seniority for layoff, vacation pick, and raises. You do go to the bottom of the list in that position. Meaning if you went from DSR to Dockworker you would be bottom man on the dockworker board. The same is true for the reverse.
At my barn we had a dockwork become a driver he was with the company about a year longer than me. When he became a DSR he went to the bottom of the DSR list.
Really? We had a dockworker become a driver and his dockworker seniority held a spot for him over drivers that were hired while he was a dockworker. Upon becoming a driver , he was ahead of the drivers that were hired while he was a dockworker.

Logically , you would think that a driver's seniority would hold up going the other way.

Really? We had a dockworker become a driver and his dockworker seniority held a spot for him over drivers that were hired while he was a dockworker. Upon becoming a driver , he was ahead of the drivers that were hired while he was a dockworker.

Logically , you would think that a driver's seniority would hold up going the other way.
Now I do know that if you were hired on the driver training program, we had one, the day you sign the letter to accept the position that is you seniority date. In that case everyone hired after him will be jr to him even if he has not been to or completed the school and when hes done then he fall in line on in the correct place in the seniority list

. Same at my barn. The dockworker went to hr bitching and had his spot flipped with a driver that was hired and driving before he got his CDL

Now I do know that if you were hired on the driver training program, we had one, the day you sign the letter to accept the position that is you seniority date. In that case everyone hired after him will be jr to him even if he has not been to or completed the school and when hes done then he fall in line on in the correct place in the seniority list
That's how it worked at my place too. Funny how things aren't handled the same across the board.

That's how it worked at my place too. Funny how things aren't handled the same across the board.

Have heard it go both ways at different terminals. The only ones that really get absolutely screwed are the ones that try management. They go to the bottom of the board.

It happened in Milwaukee. A driver lost his CDL due to medical. He went to the bottom of the dockworker board.

Was he immediately at the top of the dockworker pay scale? Also , was he grandfathered to the old overtime after 8 and 40 rules?

With as much as they are paying the dock hands. And with as little as they do. It is becoming tempting. Isn't it ?

With as much as they are paying the dock hands. And with as little as they do. It is becoming tempting. Isn't it ?
That's why I'm asking what I'm asking here...Many drivers see the dockworkers get time off when they want , a nice early start time and they seem to be happy with that.

Why not investigate what your options are if you are a driver?

Well at least you would know how to load a trailer. I tired of getting to the FAC and have to rework loaded trailer because some rocket scientist put 12,000lbs on one side of a trailer that only has a total of 15,000 on it.

Yep. He is a knew it all to boot
I would like to be there when Mr DOT officer is doing a level 1 in him. Then we would really see how much he knows. That's the day he gets a crash course in his name us on every ticket and the company doesn't pay

I would like to be there when Mr DOT officer is doing a level 1 in him. Then we would really see how much he knows. That's the day he gets a crash course in his name us on every ticket and the company doesn't pay
I wish. He is one of the ones that it seem like nothing bad happens. You know like sitting on the side of the road for hours and such

That's why I'm asking what I'm asking here...Many drivers see the dockworkers get time off when they want , a nice early start time and they seem to be happy with that.

Why not investigate what your options are if you are a driver?

Company sure seems to value dockhands way more than they value drivers. Many people have noticed that.