FedEx Freight | From PT dock 2 FT road driver tips, please!

@Richard Cranium. When you say "back forty", do you mean trailer storage capacity? Our facility has enough room to conduct the driver development course there. It's located near a dedicated industrial area, so there's little local traffic. So, jackknife in both directions? Ok, I'll try hard to learn it, thanks!

Speaking of those greasy gloves, are you all doing pretrip inspections, like you all are supposed to be doing? Something is telling me, no, lololol!

As far as the finger pointing and snickering goes, don't worry those people, no one ever got in a truck on day one and knew how to backup, just take your time and be careful . sounds like you have a good plan and have already learned the most valuable lesson which is don't be afraid to ask questions if your not sure. good luck.

Last edited:
@Richard Cranium. When you say "back forty", do you mean trailer storage capacity? Our facility has enough room to conduct the driver development course there. It's located near a dedicated industrial area, so there's little local traffic. So, jackknife in both directions? Ok, I'll try hard to learn it, thanks!

Speaking of those greasy gloves, are you all doing pretrip inspections, like you all are supposed to be doing? Something is telling me, no, lololol!

You don't need to do all those steps to get into the DDC. They hire off the street. So it's good you got a foot in the door with the dockworker but not necessary.

If you ever feel like they are blowing smoke up your ass about applying for the DDC program, here is a link with a list of DDC open positions in CA:

http://fedexfreight.jobs/jobs/?location=california&q=apprentice

Apply, interview, done.

Oh, and any open Road positions are filled strictly by seniority. Apply for each opening but good luck with that. Most likely you'll do road runs off the dock or will fill in for the City on an as needed basis.

If you really want a Road job, look each week for road openings and go where noone wants to go (probably South Dakota). Hey, at least cost of living is cheaper :)

You don't need to do all those steps to get into the DDC. They hire off the street. So it's good you got a foot in the door with the dockworker but not necessary.

If you ever feel like they are blowing smoke up your ass about applying for the DDC program, here is a link with a list of DDC open positions in CA:

http://fedexfreight.jobs/jobs/?location=california&q=apprentice

Apply, interview, done.

Oh, and any open Road positions are filled strictly by seniority. Apply for each opening but good luck with that. Most likely you'll do road runs off the dock or will fill in for the City on an as needed basis.

If you really want a Road job, look each week for road openings and go where noone wants to go (probably South Dakota). Hey, at least cost of living is cheaper :)

I'm curious how many of those positions are filled with people off the street. Since priority is given toward current employees.

At my center we had two open DDC positions. Two applicants from inhouse, four 'others' (off the street or transfer?) Both spots were filled internally.

I wonder if its just a formality, since way more likely than not, those positions will be filled internally or by someone transferring in.

Cali4nia, congratulations on starting hostling. Practice, practice, practice. Don't get frustrated and stick with it.You'll get it! The real fun begins when you start hooking sets. ;-)

@Richard Cranium.

RC always does a thorough pre trip. Getting things fixed at $34.60 an hour is very financially satisfying.
RC especially appreciates all of you that fix ABS problems by disabling the yellow status light.

I'm curious how many of those positions are filled with people off the street. Since priority is given toward current employees.

At my center we had two open DDC positions. Two applicants from inhouse, four 'others' (off the street or transfer?) Both spots were filled internally.

I wonder if its just a formality, since way more likely than not, those positions will be filled internally or by someone transferring in.

Cali4nia, congratulations on starting hostling. Practice, practice, practice. Don't get frustrated and stick with it.You'll get it! The real fun begins when you start hooking sets. ;-)
Well, ya, I would hope internals get priority over off the street. :)

I can think of 10 new drivers in my barn. Myself included, seven of the 10 were 'off the street'. Of the two currently in training one was on the dock the other off the street.