from the east coast

allnightrain44

TB Regular
Credits
work at npme part of the yrc/worlwide thing, reginal part that is, and was wondering , usf reddaway is a part also, are they big compeititors of yours?we started east -west freight swap thing with them, actually has given us alot more freight volume at our terminal because we load for west coast and west comes to us. how are they preceived as carriers in your unbiased opion, on the west coast? or anything you care to say about them, that is truthful and not bull#$^%. i see you guys busy with labor issues, and vanderpools crying poverty. god bless them, just curious what is actually said and though about reddaway from differant carriers point of view. thanks, for any info.loveing life on the east coast. time for bed ,later.

work at npme part of the yrc/worlwide thing, reginal part that is, and was wondering , usf reddaway is a part also, are they big compeititors of yours?we started east -west freight swap thing with them, actually has given us alot more freight volume at our terminal because we load for west coast and west comes to us. how are they preceived as carriers in your unbiased opion, on the west coast? or anything you care to say about them, that is truthful and not bull#$^%. i see you guys busy with labor issues, and vanderpools crying poverty. god bless them, just curious what is actually said and though about reddaway from differant carriers point of view. thanks, for any info.loveing life on the east coast. time for bed ,later.

Since nobody wants to take this on, I'll give you an idea. OH is a leading competitor of ours, with a good rep.

Fact-The company would not be around today if it weren't for the union employees.

In approximately 1985, the founder asked the employees to opt out of the NMF contract, because he put the books out on the table and said that he could afford to stay in business at those wages and benefits. The man never jerked the workers and they stayed loyal to him, voting themselves out of master freight.

Since the sons have taken over, they have pulled some of the most outrageous stuff. I can't believe there are still employees there.
I am not allowed to use words on these boards that would best describe them.
They are the most dishonest, ingrateful employers I have ever heard about.

Since nobody wants to take this on, I'll give you an idea. OH is a leading competitor of ours, with a good rep.

Fact-The company would not be around today if it weren't for the union employees.

In approximately 1985, the founder asked the employees to opt out of the NMF contract, because he put the books out on the table and said that he could afford to stay in business at those wages and benefits. The man never jerked the workers and they stayed loyal to him, voting themselves out of master freight.

Since the sons have taken over, they have pulled some of the most outrageous stuff. I can't believe there are still employees there.
I am not allowed to use words on these boards that would best describe them.
They are the most dishonest, ungrateful employers I have ever heard about.
I know alot about Oak and can say you are right about the management and the employees. Oak has the most productive work force on the west coast and the most professional as well. USF hates Oak on the west coast because they are constantly out preformed by Oak. Unfortunately that may soon end as Henry has retired and his silver spoon fed kids are running the business into the ground and the loyal employees are starting to jump ship and move on. Henry's sons David and Edward are total idiots and don't care about the company or its history I am afraid the days of Oak harbor freight are numbed.:Duel:

I put in five years at this poor excuse for a Teamster employer. I am convinced they will stop at nothing to pay their people less, take away their benefits, and treat them like dogs. They have paid off union officials, they have attempted to bargain directly with the employees, they will stop at nothing until the Teamsters are gone or compliant.

Guess what? Its not gonna happen not in Portland, these guys are gonna stick together and they are going to show these elitist pricks what its all about. I will lie down on the f+_(&*ng strike line myself. I say even if they agree to a decent contract we still strike them. Just for fun, just to let them know how bad it can be. To let them know we are paying attention.

I am tired of hearing about the poor Vanderpols I am so sick of them going into non-union terminals and telling those employees what ungrateful employees we (Teamsters) are, if we were sticking it to them so hard, how did those non-union terminals even get built? When I hear about them calling mandatory meetings to discuss medical benefits directly with employees in the middle of a contract negotiation I am even further enraged.

These people do not understand anything but dollar signs, don't buy there BS, remeber they have a team of lawyers that are paid a great deal to advise them on how to pay you as little as possible, and keep you in line. They are not people like you and I, they have never had to work for anything. They have never had to worry about making the mortgage, or whether their health care is going to cover something, when they retire they have Yachts, Airplanes and mansions to look forward to. Remember that when they are crying to us about how bad they have it.

I know alot about Oak and can say you are right about the management and the employees. Oak has the most productive work force on the west coast and the most professional as well. USF hates Oak on the west coast because they are constantly out preformed by Oak. Unfortunately that may soon end as Henry has retired and his silver spoon fed kids are running the business into the ground and the loyal employees are starting to jump ship and move on. Henry's sons David and Edward are total idiots and don't care about the company or its history I am afraid the days of Oak harbor freight are numbed.:Duel:

YOU are very wrong, both Dave and Ed care a great deal about their history, the history of the company and they care deeply for their company. They both are very commited to making the company continue to be sucessful. They were not raised with silver spoons in their mouths. Henry built the company to give his kids a better life and he has done that, and now the sons will and are doing that for their kids etc... This company will be around for many more generations of Vander Pol's at the helm. Putting them down is not going to solve anything. They are decent men with honor regardless of all the mud you or anyone else slings at them.

Have a great day :smilie_132:

truckinjoeedited by silvertooth said:
YOU are very wrong, both Dave and Ed care a great deal about their money, the history of the money and they care deeply for their money. They both are very commited to making the company continue to make money. They were raised with silver spoons in their mouths. Henry built the company to give his kids alot more money and he has done that, and now the sons will and are doing that for their kids etc... This company will be sold to swift if they ever eradicate the Teamsters. Putting them down is going to make people that come to these pages aware that their assumptions are true. They are rich men with money regardless of all the mud they throw at their employees specifically the Teamster employees.

Have a great day breaking your back so they can buy another Yacht :smilie_132:

Kinda childish, I know but I really couldn't help myself...

"Don't let any man into your cab, your home, or your heart, unless he's a friend of labor." ~ Jimmy Hoffa"

Well sometimes any one can be a real jerk! Maybe you find pride in editing my statement as you did...but what I stated is the truth, and no matter what you say or how you say it, it will not change the real truth. Never judge anyone unless you have walked in their shoes so to speak. OR let the first one throw the stones who is without sin. If we put your life under a mircoscope would you come out so pure. Sounds like someone is envious and jealous and gets off on tearing people down to make themselves feel like a real man. WRONG AND that sir is down right sad.

Hey but what the heck, have a great and safe day anyway. :smilie_132:
--------------------------------------------
Kinda childish, I know but I really couldn't help myself...

"Don't let any man into your cab, your home, or your heart, unless he's a friend of labor." ~ Jimmy Hoffa"

Well sometimes any one can be a real jerk! Maybe you find pride in editing my statement as you did...but what I stated is the truth, and no matter what you say or how you say it, it will not change the real truth. Never judge anyone unless you have walked in their shoes so to speak. OR let the first one throw the stones who is without sin. If we put your life under a mircoscope would you come out so pure. Sounds like someone is envious and jealous and gets off on tearing people down to make themselves feel like a real man. WRONG AND that sir is down right sad.

Hey but what the heck, have a great and safe day anyway. :smilie_132:
--------------------------------------------
It was a joke! Man you sure get worked up talking about stone throwing and whatnot. If you put my life under a microscope you would find that I am not the purest person in existence, and I would never claim to be as such.

I will judge whomever I please, I worked that dock right next to the Vaderpol kids! I saw the way Ed and David look at us out there! You are a fool to assume you know these people, I could care less about sins and stones, envy, jealousy, spend a little less time in you bible and more time paying attention to the world around you. You sound just like the people you are trying to defend, lubing us up with the religious KY jelly before the real fun begins.

To me if you are not a friend of labor you are dirt. Am I jealous? Sure, who wouldn't want to be handed millions of dollars? I like to think that I attack opinions not people and I will feel good about it if it has a positive effect for the employees of this company in the form of working conditions, raises and benefits. I don't want the "feel sorry for the Vanderpol's" campaign to work and consequently lead to a poor contract.

So if I seem bitter and negative it is because I am. I feel betrayed because I once bought into their bs and I am here to keep someone like me from hanging on as long as I did. I do it for prospective employees to that may come here for advise. I was harassed by one of their poor excuses for a manager. Because now I know, my new job is a thousand times better than my OHFL job an I am so thankful that I don't work for these selfish mother%$#@'s anymore. I will say what I want, I have earned the right to.

I really am amazed that they have any employees as well.

You seem to be religious, lets talk about compassion, if someone calls in sick at Oak Harbor they don't get payed, even though they are allotted sick days. They are harassed; "What's wrong with you?" "Are you sure you can't make it in?" "We really need you today" And then they don't get payed until their third day off at which point the company requires a Doctors note everyone knows that a Dr. will give anyone a not but they require it so they can punish you financially for using pay that is has been bargained for you anyway. After you get done with this circus you will probably be disciplined for attendance.

Is that a amicable way to treat people? Sometimes people just need a day off maybe your not medically sick, but you may be mentally sick if you have banked sick pay they shouldn't treat you like that, have some compassion for your employees.

And thats just one of the many things.

It was a joke! Man you sure get worked up talking about stone throwing and whatnot. If you put my life under a microscope you would find that I am not the purest person in existence, and I would never claim to be as such.

I will judge whomever I please, I worked that dock right next to the Vaderpol kids! I saw the way Ed and David look at us out there! You are a fool to assume you know these people, I could care less about sins and stones, envy, jealousy, spend a little less time in you bible and more time paying attention to the world around you. You sound just like the people you are trying to defend, lubing us up with the religious KY jelly before the real fun begins.

To me if you are not a friend of labor you are dirt. Am I jealous? Sure, who wouldn't want to be handed millions of dollars? I like to think that I attack opinions not people and I will feel good about it if it has a positive effect for the employees of this company in the form of working conditions, raises and benefits. I don't want the "feel sorry for the Vanderpol's" campaign to work and consequently lead to a poor contract.

So if I seem bitter and negative it is because I am. I feel betrayed because I once bought into their bs and I am here to keep someone like me from hanging on as long as I did. I do it for prospective employees to that may come here for advise. I was harassed by one of their poor excuses for a manager. Because now I know, my new job is a thousand times better than my OHFL job an I am so thankful that I don't work for these selfish mother%$#@'s anymore. I will say what I want, I have earned the right to.

I really am amazed that they have any employees as well.

You seem to be religious, lets talk about compassion, if someone calls in sick at Oak Harbor they don't get payed, even though they are allotted sick days. They are harassed; "What's wrong with you?" "Are you sure you can't make it in?" "We really need you today" And then they don't get payed until their third day off at which point the company requires a Doctors note everyone knows that a Dr. will give anyone a not but they require it so they can punish you financially for using pay that is has been bargained for you anyway. After you get done with this circus you will probably be disciplined for attendance.

Is that a amicable way to treat people? Sometimes people just need a day off maybe your not medically sick, but you may be mentally sick if you have banked sick pay they shouldn't treat you like that, have some compassion for your employees.

And thats just one of the many things.

Well sir again you are wrong. Yes, you are intitled to your feelings and your ideas.
Yes, I can defend them, because I do know them. I am not religious, but I do believe In God. They still are good decent men. and that is all I will say. I will not get into a debate with you over such stupid things. Have a good day. :smilie_132:

I am not an Oak Harbor employee but I will say that the word on the street does not paint a pretty picture of this company. From what I have heard they used to be a great employer and now it has completely done an about face. People in the industry will go to many other places if looking for work and Oak Harbor is the last resort. If someone asked me who was hiring I would have to tell them to stay away from Oak but I would also have to tell them that I don't work there but from what the guys are telling me, they suck. It is sad to see things end up like this but IMO the company did it to themselves. They have continually bargained to keep subcontracting in the agreement and some type of attendance policy but expect to get it for free. If they want that kind of stuff it should be expensive as hell. They want a 5 year deal, it should cost them a fortune with some of the stuff the company wants that I have heard about. I apologize to the Oak Harbor employees if I have offended you but this is just what is on the street.

I am not an Oak Harbor employee but I will say that the word on the street does not paint a pretty picture of this company. From what I have heard they used to be a great employer and now it has completely done an about face. People in the industry will go to many other places if looking for work and Oak Harbor is the last resort. If someone asked me who was hiring I would have to tell them to stay away from Oak but I would also have to tell them that I don't work there but from what the guys are telling me, they suck. It is sad to see things end up like this but IMO the company did it to themselves. They have continually bargained to keep subcontracting in the agreement and some type of attendance policy but expect to get it for free. If they want that kind of stuff it should be expensive as hell. They want a 5 year deal, it should cost them a fortune with some of the stuff the company wants that I have heard about. I apologize to the Oak Harbor employees if I have offended you but this is just what is on the street.

Just because you heard it on the street...do not mean it is true... :smilie_132:

Just because you heard it on the street...do not mean it is true... :smilie_132:

You may be correct but if I was looking for work and with the fact that drivers are a wanted commodity I would much rather go to a place where I hear words like respect, honesty, fairness and loyalty spoken from the employees rather than what I hear on the street about Joak Harbor. If it looks like crap and smells like crap, chances are, it is probably crap. :1036316054:

The Joak Harbor contract expires on Halloween, Oct. 31

You may be correct but if I was looking for work and with the fact that drivers are a wanted commodity I would much rather go to a place where I hear words like respect, honesty, fairness and loyalty spoken from the employees rather than what I hear on the street about Joak Harbor. If it looks like crap and smells like crap, chances are, it is probably crap. :1036316054:

The Joak Harbor contract expires on Halloween, Oct. 31

Like I said doesn't mean it is true...and people like you spreading untrue crap...very sad, very sad. You must be really miserable in your own life. Get help before it is 2 late. have a great day. :smilie_132:

Like I said doesn't mean it is true...and people like you spreading untrue crap...very sad, very sad. You must be really miserable in your own life. Get help before it is 2 late. have a great day. :smilie_132:

FTHEMWASMILE has posted on these boards 15 times and has three reputation points, you have posted here forty times and you have two. So apparently the members of these forums feel as I do his posts are well thought out, more importantly, he bases his assumptions on facts and experiences and goes into detail making his points much more easily identified. Whereas on the other hand your posts are more reactionary statements, however, when you are upset they do offer some entertainment value, they completely lack substance.

I am not saying this because you support OHFL and the Vanderpols, its not a difference in opinion by any means. This is a plea for you to add something meaningful to these boards to support your assumptions, and maybe you will be able counter the popular ongoing theme here that OHFL, Joke Harbor , Stroke Harder whatever you like to call it is a seriously troubled company, with major employee issues, and is operated with such a arrogance it is hard to fathom how they even accomplished the growth that they have.

I don't want to have mean spirited arguments, I want to have a good debate with lots of facts and difference of opinion I want someone to disagree with me in functional manner! I think under those circumstances I can articulate my feelings better, and in turn these boards will be more interesting to read and our soapbox will become bigger.

FTHEMWASMILE has posted on these boards 15 times and has three reputation points, you have posted here forty times and you have two. So apparently the members of these forums feel as I do his posts are well thought out, more importantly, he bases his assumptions on facts and experiences and goes into detail making his points much more easily identified. Whereas on the other hand your posts are more reactionary statements, however, when you are upset they do offer some entertainment value, they completely lack substance.

Thanx for the kind words silvertooth. :smilie_132:

you don't have to be harrased when you call in sick. just say i'm sick! and if they ask you what's wrong? you ask . are you a doctor? and regardless of what there answer is. you hang up the phone. done it many times.:chairshot: