From Wikipedia American Freightways

Discussion in 'Arkansas/American Freightways' started by Jeff, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Jeff

Jeff Administrator

American Freightways (AF) was a U.S. Less Than Truckload (LTL) shipping company based in Harrison, Arkansas[1].
    Founded in 1982 by the late Sheridan Garrison, American Freightways was originally titled Arkansas Freightways. In 1989 Arkansas Freightways became a publicly held corporation, and developed a wide network of customer centers providing direct shipping to 40 contiguous U.S. states. The company officially changed its name to American Freightways in 1993.
    American Freightways was acquired by FedEx Corporation in 2001. By combining Viking Freight and AF, FedEx Corp. created FedEx Freight to offer one-stop shopping for less than truckload customers. In June 2002, FedEx rebranded AF and Viking as FedEx Freight East and FedEx Freight West, respectively.

[​IMG]

2. racehorse

racehorse Member

jeff...this would have been before that....gmf garrison motor freight....same family....around late 1970s.....i may have this wrong though....on the side of there trailers at the bottom it said....oldest line between st louis and little rock.....same people earlier time...see if i can find out...

3. Jeff

Jeff Administrator

4. racehorse

racehorse Member

exactly....but my question is who bought garrison out to get those rights....this was before deregulation was it smith transfer....mr garrison had a great vision to sale then and come back after deregulation....i think i know one of the reasons....

5. Jeff

Jeff Administrator

That I do not know

6. imported_OleGuy

imported_OleGuy Member

ABF ?? Prior names/lines..

In 1955 to ? 1957 there were trucks running St. Louis down US61 to Memphis with the name Arkansas ?? lines on doors and trailers.
    Also same time there were Best ?? Lines running there.
    Then sometime in there the trailers would show Arkansas Best on a sign on trailer nose. All I could glimpse as we negoiated the right angle curves south beween Blytheville, AR and Osceola, AR on old US61.
    Me with a double deck of fat hogs and them with low riding bulk freight.

They has some good linehaul drivers then. Ole boys could roll.

7. metalmikex

metalmikex Member

ABF Names

8. 222-0

222-0 New Member

My understanding was that Smith's acquired GMF completely. Once the waiting time (5 yr?) was up the Garrisons were free to get back in with AF. By then ST had not only folded GMF into the green but also Crestview, FL-based MR&R Trucking which ran between west Fla/south AL and Atlanta (in earlier years had acquired a small company called Perkins as I recall which was based on Milton Av. in Atlanta).