livlly909

Friendly Trucker
Credits
This email says it all....

"From: Asktheboss
Sent: Wed 7/2/2008 3:47 PM
To: ********* ******
Subject: RE: MEETINGS ABOUT THE PROPOSAL

We believe that it is important that you and all our employees have a full understanding of what is going on so that you can make the best decisions for you and your family. We believe that if you do what is best for you and your family most of the time that is also the best thing for Oak Harbor. We have heard from our employees that communication is important to them and we agree, so much so that we are willing to have meetings while our employees are on the clock.

I am concerned you don’t understand why we do the meetings the way we do. This information is important and often times complex. We want to make sure that all our employees have their questions answered and that no misinformation is given. We have found that if you hand out a document for people to read on their own they don’t typically ask questions. This is why we have the supervisor’s read the documents in the meetings and note down any questions that come up. Our instructions to the supervisor is to then take those questions and forward them to asktheboss so that we can include them in the next Q&A. I would encourage you to ask your questions in the meetings so that we can answer them to everyone. If it is unclear or important to you then it is more than likely unclear or important to others. Of course, you always have the opportunity to send your question to asktheboss directly like you did this time.

Thank you for your question.

Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 2:23 PM
To: Asktheboss
Subject: MEETINGS ABOUT THE PROPOSAL
Importance: High

HOW MUCH IS THIS COSTING THE COMPANY TO HAVE THESE MEETINGS EVERY WEEK WHERE THE EMPLOYEES ARE ATTENDING FOR ABOUT 30 MINUTES WHILE ON THE CLOCK???

THIS COULD BE GOING TOWARDS THE MEDICAL THAT WE WANT!!!!!

NOT ONLY ARE THESE MEETINGS COSTING THE COMPANY MONEY, BUT WE JUST LISTEN TO SOMEONE READ A DOCUMENT THAT WE COULD READ OURSELVES AND WHEN WE ASK QUESTIONS RELATING TO THE PROPOSAL, THEY SAY WE SHOULD GO TO OAKHANSWERS OR THAT THEY DON’T KNOW!! "

Remain patient. I know it is difficult and I have been there before so I know what you are going through. The strategy of letting the customers know what is going on seems to be working. The letters and statements the company has put out lately say that. They know time is running out and they need to do something or they will be destroyed. Just as it has been from the beginning it is their choice whether they live or die.

If the hand billing at customer sites is working then we need to do more of it. We should be out there every day pushing the issue and pressuring these scumbags to act, I am chomping at the bit for a chance to help. One way or another somethings gotta give, its funny usually a company would be doing something like this because they were not making it financially, but in this case they are throwing away a perfectly profitable business simply because they do not want to have to treat their employees equitably.

Shame on them! They have caused enough pain and suffering, and they have caused such unrest among their employees I feel for everyone union or not, everyday wondering if they are going to take it to the next level.

I understand the union cannot sanction a slowdown, I also understand the OHFL agreement has performance as cause for termination, but if I were working there Spokane freight would be going to OLY and Everett freight would be going to Reno. Slow it down, take your time, let them feel the solidarity.

I know it sounds harsh but consider the options, Oak Harbor already has probably the crappiest contract in all of freight already, non unions pay above and beyond and in some cases have even better benefits than you do currently, and the new plan would put you with Old Dominion and the other bottom feeders in non-union LTL. OD hires guys with DUI's and other negligible driving records, Oak Harbor has some of the best, well trained, and responsible drivers on the road know your worth, don't settle for less and slow those bastards to a halt.

"Asktheboss" said:
I am concerned you don’t understand why we do the meetings the way we do.

They're only concerned that the employees are catching on to their games, which they should have been concerned about it months ago!!

:deal:

Silvertooth for president...we need somebody like you to tell the people what they need to hear...keep pounding them until they listen or give up....either way you win.

I think shifterknob is right. Business has been VERY slow the past few weeks. I'm sure it has something to do with the letters being mailed out. I have some friends that work at a few other carriers and they've been getting really busy recently which is probably caused by our lack of business.

I am hoping this mediator will help.

:argue:

Those are not the only options

Silvertooth for president...we need somebody like you to tell the people what they need to hear...keep pounding them until they listen or give up....either way you win.

There is a third option, and in that case, you don't win.
The company may not be as profitable as everyone thinks,
and if that is true, and the company does not get a contract
that they can survive with, then a lot of people will be out
looking for work in a slow economy.

You say that the Oak Harbor contract is worse than the compensation for the non-union carriers. If that is true,
then why the fight for a substandard contract? Why not
fight to get the same package as the non-unions, including
401k and company health?

There is a third option, and in that case, you don't win.
The company may not be as profitable as everyone thinks,
and if that is true, and the company does not get a contract
that they can survive with, then a lot of people will be out
looking for work in a slow economy.

You say that the Oak Harbor contract is worse than the compensation for the non-union carriers. If that is true,
then why the fight for a substandard contract? Why not
fight to get the same package as the non-unions, including
401k and company health?

Gee, I never thought of that! Maybe they aren't making any money? When a company is asking for concessions because they are in financial trouble it is commonplace for the company to show financial records that prove such hardships, and then they union will work with them from there. They will not open their books! How many terminals has OHFL opened in the last 5 years? 10-15?

I said it is worse than SOME of the non-unions compensation packages, and yes, it is a crappy contract. Now they want to take away pensions that members have been a part of generations, full family medical that Teamsters in this industry have enjoyed for years. It's about power, control, and quality of life for these drivers. Why would anyone with a pension, and full Teamster medica,l fight to have a company controlled medical plan, with a co-pay, and a 401k?
And while were at it lets scrap those bothersome work-rules, you know, the ones that make the company respect seniority.

This company's disposition is worse than several of the larger non unions, they are more devious, and greedy, and they will exploit every employee they can. As far as I can tell the VP kids never worked for anything in their whole life. Screw them. This is wrong, they know it, if you sympathize with them, screw you too!!:1036316054:

Seniority

I don't have a dog in this fight, and don't agree with
either side, the more that I hear. Sorry that my question
makes Silver so hostile, but that really doesn't matter.

First, do the larger, more successful non-union companies
disregard seniority? What does a company have to do in
order for you to say that they "respect" seniority? Bids are
made based on service rank, vacations are taken based on
service rank . . . Just what more is there?

I think people on both sides need to grow up. Respect is
not given to someone just because he or she happens to
have been around longer than anyone else. And it is not
given to the owner of a company just because they are
in that position. It is earned on both sides, and neither
side deserves a lot of it right now.

Has anyone really looked at what a 401k offers to the
employee? Who the hell cares what "generations" have
had in pensions? Right now, right here, you folks need
to compete, and not for a contract that the company
will not live with.

Adios.

I don't have a dog in this fight, and don't agree with
either side, the more that I hear. Sorry that my question
makes Silver so hostile, but that really doesn't matter.

First, do the larger, more successful non-union companies
disregard seniority? What does a company have to do in
order for you to say that they "respect" seniority? Bids are
made based on service rank, vacations are taken based on
service rank . . . Just what more is there?

I think people on both sides need to grow up. Respect is
not given to someone just because he or she happens to
have been around longer than anyone else. And it is not
given to the owner of a company just because they are
in that position. It is earned on both sides, and neither
side deserves a lot of it right now.

Has anyone really looked at what a 401k offers to the
employee? Who the hell cares what "generations" have
had in pensions? Right now, right here, you folks need
to compete, and not for a contract that the company
will not live with.

Adios.

No, some of the larger non union companies do respect seniority.

What more is there? How about start times? Oak Harbor would like to vary start times. How about job classification should a Sr. man come in and stack boxes all day while the Jr. guy is out driving? In Auburn OHFL has only 1 board a Sr. driver that doesn't want to drive could be sent over a snowy pass while a Jr. man drives down the street to pick up a couple skids, their are allot of issues surrounding seniority from start times to overtime and forced overtime. You might think all this stuff should be a given, and it is where I work, this company is abusive and discriminatory and each rule needs to be spelled out in the contract to protect the members.

Hitting a dock or the street for a company for 20 years does not not earn respect in your eyes? I respect the Senior guys where I work allot, they have all walked the line to keep my job a good job. I have pretty near 10 years in LTL and I still run into challenges and those guys are the ones I ask when I don't know.

This company needs to grow up, or they will suffer immense consequences. The employees here deserve all of our respect right now, they are in a tumultuous battle and you don't know jack, and if they were all like you, if all us Teamsters were like you, we'd all be making ten dollars an hour union or non. The union is not being unreasonable, they have given this company concessions in the past that are well above an beyond any Teamster freight company that I know of. The company has reaped the rewards and is successful, and is profitable. IF they were to work a few weeks with replacement employees they would wish they had signed the agreement. Oak Harbor drivers and dockworkers are such professional, highly skilled people, that even if the company caved to all the unions demands they are still getting a great deal.

The most direct competition for OHFL is USF Reddaway, they have a Teamster contract with medical and pension. 401k is a sham the way companies are portraying it today, it was never meant to be a primary retirement vessel it was merely a supplement to a defined benefit retirement plan. FRONTLINE: can you afford to retire?: watch the full program online | PBS Watch this video "Frontline: Can You Afford to Retire".

Accepting a deal that eliminates pension and strips down medical care will only put those Reddaway guys in a hard spot when they go to the table. Its not about dragging people down, you obviously don't understand and thats too bad. If they were to cave on these issues this time around they would only come for more the next time.

Oak Harbor has gotten off of the 401K proposal. There will be a Pension for the Oak Harbor members if a contract gets settled. The problem is the company is proposing no increases to the pension rate.

did anyone catch in the proposal on medical that the medical will be maintained at the level they state unless it increases over 105%...then they will meet with the union and tell them they will downgrade the policy, the union has the right to not approve, but if no agreement is reached...it will be accepted anyways and you have 30 days notice your policy is going down with no say??? yeah, read all the lines. this is junk guys. Have a nice day Oak Harbor.

I think he is right on the money with that post. What wasn't factual about it? Teamster Elvis out...