Holland | Full Rate or lock the gate

I wish I could go to a factory and work for 25 per hour.I wish we had union factories and mills in Georgia.I would consider moving for a decent factory job.Trucking is getting to be a hassle,all the regulations and medical crap and it’s really a dangerous job.We deserve way more pay in this industry as a whole.
Where do you live with union factories ?I remember in Illinois there used to be lots of them but they dwindled down to almost none in my area.All my family retired in their 50’s with laboring jobs,heavy equipment,steel worker and one from the prison.All with union pensions.The trades are still pretty decent there but I don’t have time to start a new career.A good union factory job would be great.They could stick this cdl in their ass.

Look at my name, sort of a giveaway. Still some decent factory and mill jobs around here. I agree they can stick their cdl up their ass.

But yrc/holland could go back to full wages and still be many dollars behind some of the nonunion competition. R&l can offer close to 31 an hour, it should be a no brainer that yrc can cough up 26, or **** em.

Yeah, I was just thinking about that and was going to say it was dumb of me I didn’t think you were a cowboy.
R&L doesn’t pay 31 here but some of them are up there.
The only way YRCW can cough up 26 per hour is to take some from health care.
Health care ain’t a biggie when one is healthy but when a heart attack or cancer strikes the last thing you need is a bunch of debt because of it.

If I thought this company could give everything back I would fight like hell for it.But they can’t
Even if the lenders reduced the interest rate from 90 million to 50 million per top pay would be impossible if you include pension.
15,000 people with a 400 dollar per week raise(225 for pension) is over 300 million per year. It ain’t gonna happen and if I were expecting it I would be gone because I know it’s impossible.

I honestly don’t know why people that think these non union jobs are so superior than ours aren’t going to them.Why would one stick around a company for another year knowing the company is still going to have substantial debt,pension woes and struggling to operate at a 97 without a contract with substantial raises.There is no reason for us not to be operating in the low 90’s and in the 2nd and 3rd quarters if we aren’t everyone should be very leery.

I think the biggest reason everyone hangs around is because it’s a union job and no matter what anyone says it’s a better job no matter how much we bitch about it.

Last edited:
Everyone speaks of the health care, but you gotta put it in perspective, no one goes broke or has major problems with other companies health insurance plans.

Your insurance plan isnt enough of an excuse to justify being behind fedex by 7 dollars an hour. They've had a decade to fix their problems, yrc is behind central transport by 2 dollars an hour up here.

Everyone speaks of the health care, but you gotta put it in perspective, no one goes broke or has major problems with other companies health insurance plans.

Your insurance plan isnt enough of an excuse to justify being behind fedex by 7 dollars an hour. They've had a decade to fix their problems, yrc is behind central transport by 2 dollars an hour up here.
But the thing of it is, even if the members were willing to opt in to high deductible plan, something like FedEx has, the union wouldn't allow it. I mean the health funds ( Central States being biggest) that we contribute to are still " Funds" that we make contributions to not only on our behalf, but also for all the others who receive medical services from them. So in a sense it's really a legacy cost , similar to the pension fund, that the union will never let die.

But the thing of it is, even if the members were willing to opt in to high deductible plan, something like FedEx has, the union wouldn't allow it. I mean the health funds ( Central States being biggest) that we contribute to are still " Funds" that we make contributions to not only on our behalf, but also for all the others who receive medical services from them. So in a sense it's really a legacy cost , similar to the pension fund, that the union will never let die.
lol. never let die,like the pension fund? which will be completely bankrupt within 6-7 yrs? we need a 401k, contributing fully into a pension that is going bankrupt no matter what is just throwing money away.

honestly i dont like central states managing our healthcare either, look at how much the healthcare management people are paid from our contributions. literally a whole page of names making 300k-1 million per yr plus benefits and bonus;s.

Last edited:
Last year Ian O.D driver said he spent 7,000 dollars for his wife to have a child.
Fedex is the best non union LTL out there and if I got a new job I hope it is Fedex. I don’t know if it changed but an old friend of mine who went into business on his own last year said he had a $2,500.00 deductible and spent about $25 per week for his Fedex insurance.
On a 40 hour week at $7 / hour more that Fedex makes (22 vs.29)that is 280/ week.
Our company pays $385.00 / week for our insurance.There is much wiggle room for a serious hourly wage increase simply because our insurance is so much better and the contributions are so much more than all the nons.It seems the prestige of an hourly wage is much more satisfying than the hidden back money in insurance benefits.If that is what would make people the happiest I’m all in.
I personally would rather leave insurance alone and move forward with higher wages .But more than anything stop kicking the can down the road with the pension...Those contributions mean zero for us and 10 years is enough..

Its not prestige, its the fact that the competition makes a lot more money. Its not made up with the insurance, that arguement doesnt fly with the huge pay gap. Its been 10 years, if the company cant go back to full rate, let them fold. You cant keep floating a :shit:bag company forever. The worst freight companies are now paying more.

You want to get personal ass hole and we can go that route.My entire family and I have always advocated UNION jobs .I have been on picket lines ,burn barrels and even rolling picket lines for workers from companies I didn't even work for.

You think I don't want or am willing to do what is necessary to get a better contract? Because I actually look at the quarterly results and try to see what can be done and actually apply some math to see what is realistic for us to continue with this job.
Yes I see the management failing miserably and I see what they are hiring and yes it bothers me but what the hell can I or anyone do about it.
Full rate or lock the gate is ignorant cause it ain't going to happen.You say yourself how bad it is managed so how are they going to contribute $225 per week per employee for pension and an additional $ 4 per employee per hour wages?
Add that up for me since you have the answers.Im getting to where I could give two Shi ts if they stay open or not.
I try to speak my mind on how to get better without locking the gate and people get mad.Shut the M fers! I'll be fine but I will tell you that ain't taking a stand that is being plumb ass stupid .
Didn't answer the question. Just deflected to avoid the hard answer. You have spent a good deal of time explaining how competitor's companies are working and paying, etc. If you spent that much time and energy fighting for this job instead of the yrc crap you're spreading you might actually make a difference. You do realize that the company has sh**** little trolls monitoring these sites. They love people with posts like yours spreading their cancerous defeatism telling anyone that'll listen how awful things are. The drivers are this company, not the a-holes in suits taking credit for sacrifice and hard work but blaming you for the results of the poor decisions they make. As far as taking a stand that's stupid, you want to live on your knees that's your choice. Be truthful up front and say it so that everybody can see it. Those competing companies have trolls reading this too, maybe they'll recruit you to help screw their drivers.
Full rate or lock the gate.

Ok..everyone has different views about jobs.This one was once prestigious and a much better job than the non unions.

The gap has closed considerably and we should all expect and demand a healthy pay raise.

I don't go along with the full rate or lock the gate crap simply because I believe it will absolutely do just that ...lock the gate..
By the way, I'm not scared of that one bit although I would prefer to continue working a union job

The other thing is paying fully into the pension is asinine from where I stand.It might keep the fund on life support for a while longer but that is it.That money should go towards better wages for us IMO.

Here is another way I think differently from some.
Saia, Southeastern, AAA Cooper
Averitt, Estes, XPO, R&L, etc.
All pay more per hour than us .Quite a bit more.
They are not better jobs to me or to most every union man I talk to.
I will say if it weren't for the overtime I probably would have been gone but for my 20 years in this industry overtime isn't an issue.

I think there is a good possibility of making this a much better paying job without unrealistic expectations and shutting it down but at the end of the day if that is what the majority wants that is what we will get.I doubt any of us will miss a meal.

If a respectable contract us offered and accepted the full rate lock the gate guys will have every opportunity to go to the better hourly wage non union job.

Didn't answer the question. Just deflected to avoid the hard answer. You have spent a good deal of time explaining how competitor's companies are working and paying, etc. If you spent that much time and energy fighting for this job instead of the yrc crap you're spreading you might actually make a difference. You do realize that the company has sh**** little trolls monitoring these sites. They love people with posts like yours spreading their cancerous defeatism telling anyone that'll listen how awful things are. The drivers are this company, not the a-holes in suits taking credit for sacrifice and hard work but blaming you for the results of the poor decisions they make. As far as taking a stand that's stupid, you want to live on your knees that's your choice. Be truthful up front and say it so that everybody can see it. Those competing companies have trolls reading this too, maybe they'll recruit you to help screw their drivers.
Full rate or lock the gate.

I meant to copy you in on last post but I will add.If there are company trolls ..screw them.
As far as me posting what I think it certainly doesn't give the company a friggin advantage in negotiations.
If you think full rate or lock the gate makes you smarter or tougher than me go right ahead and think that way.
I don't think it does.

Whatever ABF gets maybe will be a hint of what we maybe get ? Rumor is they are getting back the week's vac time , but no rumors about ant money firgue's , kinda wonder why union is keeping it a secret from member's ?? YRCW has been paying out BIG Bonuses and full salary , so time to Pay the rate or Lock the gate! !

ABF Guy's are ready to Stand Tall & Tough !
xutOxyG.jpg

I wish I could go to a factory and work for 25 per hour.I wish we had union factories and mills in Georgia.I would consider moving for a decent factory job.Trucking is getting to be a hassle,all the regulations and medical crap and it’s really a dangerous job.We deserve way more pay in this industry as a whole.
Where do you live with union factories ?I remember in Illinois there used to be lots of them but they dwindled down to almost none in my area.All my family retired in their 50’s with laboring jobs,heavy equipment,steel worker and one from the prison.All with union pensions.The trades are still pretty decent there but I don’t have time to start a new career.A good union factory job would be great.They could stick this cdl in their ass.

Stay away from Illinois. The state is 180 Billion underfunded in their (Public not Private) Pension fund. They are in the process of raising taxes of any kind they can to cover the under funding. People are fleeing the land of Lincoln like they did California 20 years ago & still doing. The state asked the Illinois Supreme Court for relief. All 7 judges said 'you promised them the money, now you have to pay it'). Read this link, kind of says it all. von.
https://www.ilnews.org/news/state_p...cle_1e9b33b4-aea8-11e7-b903-9bcca6639e34.html

If you get you request, lock the gate, what happens to your pension as well as all the retirees before you?
Yrc ATM you seem to have all the answers what will happen?

Holland, the Dutch Treat company of the LTL industry. Shut it down in 2019. Enough is Enough with this low life company. We are paying for our jobs here. Hundreds of millions in the last nine years. What have we gotten in return?????? Scott Ware just cashed out another $120,000 in stock a few weeks ago. Kudos to Scott Ware.....

Ok..everyone has different views about jobs.This one was once prestigious and a much better job than the non unions.

The gap has closed considerably and we should all expect and demand a healthy pay raise.

I don't go along with the full rate or lock the gate crap simply because I believe it will absolutely do just that ...lock the gate..
By the way, I'm not scared of that one bit although I would prefer to continue working a union job

The other thing is paying fully into the pension is asinine from where I stand.It might keep the fund on life support for a while longer but that is it.That money should go towards better wages for us IMO.

Here is another way I think differently from some.
Saia, Southeastern, AAA Cooper
Averitt, Estes, XPO, R&L, etc.
All pay more per hour than us .Quite a bit more.
They are not better jobs to me or to most every union man I talk to.
I will say if it weren't for the overtime I probably would have been gone but for my 20 years in this industry overtime isn't an issue.

I think there is a good possibility of making this a much better paying job without unrealistic expectations and shutting it down but at the end of the day if that is what the majority wants that is what we will get.I doubt any of us will miss a meal.

If a respectable contract us offered and accepted the full rate lock the gate guys will have every opportunity to go to the better hourly wage non union job.
You mention overtime, linehaul drivers are not paid overtime no matter how many hours they work. So not all union people are paid OT.
To be honest the union has lost its edge, YRC has rolling garbage for equipment, extremely low pay, low morale, filthy terminals, a horrible reputation and they are leading the charge in bringing down wages and pricing. The union jobs are killing the industry.
At some point it may have to hit a tipping point where banks may just have to call it in.
Still no profits to speak of and every carriers biggest challenge is recruiting. Who can YRC recruit????