Holland | Full Rate or lock the gate

Up North if we don't plug the trucks in on the weekend nothing will be moving come Monday morning. I am more than happy to take the extra half hour and throw it in a dock and put some fuel in. Soon it will start to warm up and we will not have to do that on the weekend till next winter. I don't know how many terminals have this policy and weather or not Scott Ware likes it or not it needs to be done. I know it takes a little common sense sometimes which is not found in great quantities around here but if you live in places like Minnesota and Wisconsin you better have your tanks full and your tractors plugged in or you have a serious problem in Jan and Feb.
That’s in the 2010 restructuring agreement. Road drivers may only drop and hook while going thru a terminal. I understand winter climate up there but I go by work rules and contract only.

cldASQT.jpg

If you know how to send a pic from your phone gallery,take a picture of the memo on your phone.

Up North if we don't plug the trucks in on the weekend nothing will be moving come Monday morning. I am more than happy to take the extra half hour and throw it in a dock and put some fuel in. Soon it will start to warm up and we will not have to do that on the weekend till next winter. I don't know how many terminals have this policy and weather or not Scott Ware likes it or not it needs to be done. I know it takes a little common sense sometimes which is not found in great quantities around here but if you live in places like Minnesota and Wisconsin you better have your tanks full and your tractors plugged in or you have a serious problem in Jan and Feb.

i2MUVII.jpg

Not to throw shade at you, but now that you know that this is city work will you continue to do it or honor our work rules? It’s up to the company to find a solution on how to prevent fuel from freezing in winter not us. Funny how some members want their money back and stand united but won’t hold the company accountable on the work rules we have now. Shame or your local and many others for not informing the members of what’s in the contract.

I think that would be the best option for the newer hires. We get new guys coming on that are 50 years old and they are screwed as far as retirement goes with the current pension plan. Just think if the company could advertise our insurance along with say 350 dollars into a 401k every month along with whatever you want contribute. Maybe it wouldn't be so hard to find good people.

I agree with what you are saying, but if a man waits till 50, to start planning retirement, he's screwed himself.

I agree with what you are saying, but if a man waits till 50, to start planning retirement, he's screwed himself.

I sure enough screwed up counting on our pension.I don't need A lot of glitz and thought 3,ooo per month plus social security would be plenty. Boy was I a dumb ass.

I sure enough screwed up counting on our pension.I don't need A lot of glitz and thought 3,ooo per month plus social security would be plenty. Boy was I a dumb ass.
A fifty year old isn’t really screwed. If he throws $200 a week into a 401k with no employer match and gets 8 percent growth he works till 65 he walks away with $369,329 and it gives him a monthly withdrawal of $3089 a month for 20 years. Which is a lot better than nothing.

http://www.calculator.net/401k-calc...nflation=3&hideirslimit=0&type=1&x=27&y=7#top

A fifty year old isn’t really screwed. If he throws $200 a week into a 401k with no employer match and gets 8 percent growth he works till 65 he walks away with $369,329 and it gives him a monthly withdrawal of $3089 a month for 20 years. Which is a lot better than nothing.

http://www.calculator.net/401k-calc...nflation=3&hideirslimit=0&type=1&x=27&y=7#top
How often do you think this may happen?
Starting a new job, chance of layoffs, financial obligations, I wouldn't think its that easy.

I think that would be the best option for the newer hires. We get new guys coming on that are 50 years old and they are screwed as far as retirement goes with the current pension plan. Just think if the company could advertise our insurance along with say 350 dollars into a 401k every month along with whatever you want contribute. Maybe it wouldn't be so hard to find good people.

im not sure about other terminals but i can guarantee half of the 200;ish employees on my local city's board have been at the 1/4th pension the entire time they have been an employee, and the ones that can retire with a pension are retiring as soon as they can so they can collect some of it before the pension money is completely gone. the newer employees are contributing to a "pension" that will never pay them a penny and our company is paying millions of dollars into it every month in their name..its a complete waste of money.

Last edited:
How often do you think this may happen?
Starting a new job, chance of layoffs, financial obligations, I wouldn't think its that easy.
I completely agree with you seabreeze. I was a late starter myself because I believed in the pension fund,I figured the pension,my wife’s 401k and maybe a little social security I would be good, I was wrong. Starting late I didn’t want to deduct and I was a little nervous about what was going on with the company that maybe I would be better off having it in my savings just in case. But doing it is definitely better than not. The deductions are pre tax.

At 50 years old if the person could afford the down payment and depending where in the country they are I would also suggest looking into an income property to invest in if not a 401k

That’s a big problem there. Are MOU states road drivers don’t have to put trailers to the dock unless your taking the tractors to hotel. It’s city work we park on inbound lane and we’re done. Scott Ware sent a memo out to all terminals informing them of this practice. If I knew how to post it on here I would.
I know when I dropped at Detroit for Speedy the rule was we dropped the trailer in inbound or empty rows because it's the hostler's job to bump the dock.

Only once did I ever dock a trailer there. And it was at the explicit request of the hostler. A lot of guys were giving me the stink eye, and a couple stopped to get my unit number, but I wouldn't have done it if he hadn't asked. He got paid for it anyway and I saved him the trouble of doing it, so win/win I guess?

I know when I dropped at Detroit for Speedy the rule was we dropped the trailer in inbound or empty rows because it's the hostler's job to bump the dock.

Only once did I ever dock a trailer there. And it was at the explicit request of the hostler. A lot of guys were giving me the stink eye, and a couple stopped to get my unit number, but I wouldn't have done it if he hadn't asked. He got paid for it anyway and I saved him the trouble of doing it, so win/win I guess?
A lot of road do it for the 15 min or don’t know it’s the city work. City’s guys would wish they’d protect their work. Some terminals have individual agreement where Road can’t even do their own switches.

A lot of road do it for the 15 min or don’t know it’s the city work. City’s guys would wish they’d protect their work. Some terminals have individual agreement where Road can’t even do their own switches.

I know things have changed so much since I retired, if a dock worker or city driver was on the clock, we couldn't switch.
Once they used my tractor in the city while I was in bed, I was told to stop by a terminal and take on 30 gals, fuel, when I
arrived the night dock foreman told me to fuel it, told him I didn't know how.
I was told, if you get fuel here, you will learn.
I pumped 30 gals. and collected 6 hours pay, didn't have to file a grievance and the foreman got a butt chewing.

I'm just saying he's screwed in our current pension plan. Hence the reason we have trouble attracting new hires. Why in the hell would someone come here at 50 years old and contribute into a 401k when he can go anywhere else and get paid more per hour with a company match. Hence the reason we are in the trouble we are in. Before the 15% he could have worked 15 years and collected 1500$ a month.

I wish we could at least individually opt out of the pension and take the money to do with what we want. Let the guys that are close stay in and keep contributing and those that want to opt out and take the cash. But of course our Union won't allow that..
United we stand divided we fall remember your a teamster my brother

United we stand divided we fall remember your a teamster my brother
Oh thank you for that. What the hell is that supposed to mean. So I'm not supposed to worry about my retirement. I've gained nearly nothing in the last 9 years as far as retirement goes. And PS, I'm not an old guy just buying my time to get there. I've got at least 15 years left.

Oh thank you for that. What the hell is that supposed to mean. So I'm not supposed to worry about my retirement. I've gained nearly nothing in the last 9 years as far as retirement goes. And PS, I'm not an old guy just buying my time to get there. I've got at least 15 years left.
There are plenty of non union carriers you can go to so you can just worry about yourself.