ABF | Full Time Dock Worker Questions

It's been a couple days since that call. Should I be concerned or is that normal? I'm well aware of the working conditions as my dad drove for teamsters for 40+ years until medical took over. I'm just a young boy who wants to make an honest dollar. Trying to split myself away from this millennial generation I'm in unfortunately.
I wouldn't sweat it, they generally move at a snail's pace. You could follow up with person that you interviewed with, that wouldn't hurt any.

I wouldn't say that stating that nobody wants to do these jobs anymore constitutes complaining about it, it's simply stating a fact. I wouldn't mislead a guy and tell him that things are good just because I want to sucker him in to pay my pension either. I would like to know if you work the jobs we are working. Not where or in what capacity exactly, just are you doing the work? Are you out in the 100 degree heat slugging freight around? Are you out in the windy 0 degree cold rubbing the ice off of your beard and/or mustache? Are you dealing with the homeowner who's trying to get you to break your back getting his 2000 lb trash skid of hardwood flooring over the hump into their garage? Or telling you that you are to put his playground out in the back 40 of his estate? How many 235 lb treadmills have you taken down the steps into the basements while the homeowner stands there telling you not to ding the walls? How many times have you stood on the dock with your TM, salesman, dispatcher or coworker gawking and laughing about the hideous crate that some poor driver is going to have to bust his balls the get off of the truck? How many 600 lb Lifetime sheds have you wrestled off the back of the trailer? Sorry buddy, but to me this job is not worth it and I pity any young man who comes into it. The work sucks, the pay is insufficient and the Teamsters suck and there are better jobs out there to be had.
Yep done everything you listed here except the one laughing and holding hands with management about that hideous crate that I had to deliver off the back of a non lift gate trl.. but unfortunately the first 25 yrs of working with YRC has landed me a midnight road hostler bid for the next 12 yrs. So yes I would still tell Jared it's a good job and let him know the ups and downs of the industry the god awful jobs we do to delivering America. But hey that's what we do as Teamsters or non teamster in the freight business isnt it? But hopefully yes I would be gaining another young teamster to keep the legacy on going... there's alot of things I don't like what's going on and I tried with my right to vote to start the fix but unfortunately we didn't win but we gotta keep plugging along. As for Yrc one single guy got an ok with a blank charge card to create a mess over here it wasn't the 26,ooo employees as you let it out to be...

It's been a couple days since that call. Should I be concerned or is that normal? I'm well aware of the working conditions as my dad drove for teamsters for 40+ years until medical took over. I'm just a young boy who wants to make an honest dollar. Trying to split myself away from this millennial generation I'm in unfortunately.

I did this myself 19 years ago. Find a LTL city driver, union or not & start asking questions. Then go to a LTL outfit & talk to the road drivers & start asking questions. Ask mainly about any injuries & how the business has affected their own health. Most drivers will tell you straight up how the job affects them. Then decide. von.

This is a good profession to start off in if nothing else is readily available. That being said I would encourage you to look into other professions or schooling as you work on the dock. Use this as a steppingstone to something better. These guys are correct about the schedule and toll it takes on your body.

If you look at my "avatar" picture,......remove the miner's helmet and canary cage,......add a seedy looking mustache,........that's what 41 years of freight hauling makes you look like......

And I used to be such a good-looking child.......
Ya, but their is a reason for you looks now days. You have stopped dating & or cruising the bars. Right? Sorry, but I could not pass up that one. von.

Yep done everything you listed here except the one laughing and holding hands with management about that hideous crate that I had to deliver off the back of a non lift gate trl..
I never mentioned holding hands or a non lift gate trailer, there you go putting words in my mouth and reading things that aren't there. I'm sure you're a real charm to chat with and I'd also bet that you end a lot of sentences with, "and you know it", like you know what I know or want to force your ideals on other people. It's fine that you're happy, the industry needs people who think that they have great jobs to keep the standards low and keep the wheels of LTL spinning but you'll never convince me of it, even if you tell me, "and you know it", when you're done telling me how it is.

If you look at my "avatar" picture,......remove the miner's helmet and canary cage,......add a seedy looking mustache,........that's what 41 years of freight hauling makes you look like......

And I used to be such a good-looking child.......
I dunno...that guy in your avatar looks like he's standing up too straight to have had all those years in the freight business.

I never mentioned holding hands or a non lift gate trailer, there you go putting words in my mouth and reading things that aren't there. I'm sure you're a real charm to chat with and I'd also bet that you end a lot of sentences with, "and you know it", like you know what I know or want to force your ideals on other people. It's fine that you're happy, the industry needs people who think that they have great jobs to keep the standards low and keep the wheels of LTL spinning but you'll never convince me of it, even if you tell me, "and you know it", when you're done telling me how it is.
Lol, settle down and catch your breath rest your fingers your making no sense now.

for the statement about complaining.. Yes I am.. very obvious this company cares nothing about individuals, perhaps like many other companies, but manipulation, lying, cooking numbers to benefit themselves and hurt workers<? represented by Union or not? draws a line.
As for City vs Road,, No easier on road.. I work in a cupcake road operation. No matter the place, health, fatigue, dirty motels are not easy.. not to mention the toll on a marriage and kids lives.. not recommended to sell out for money.. As I stated before stay away from ABF or any LTL job.. don't be tempted by money or best LTL excuse.. its a sell out of yourself and a regret later..show me a happy, healthy, prosperous ABF employee!! I will resign today if so..