FedEx Freight | Full Time Positions Forced to Part time at FedEx West

Note:

Don't start the union talk in this forum.
I promise you that there will be some missing
members permanently if this starts in here
again.

you boys in the west are going to experience the same growing pains that we did in the east, back when it was AF. i was a full-time dock hand and they had meetings with us and said "if you want to have job security you should all get your CDL , which we will provide the training and equipment for.: most of us did this. those who did not were let go. those who not able to due to health reasons (diabetes, heart, epilepsy etc.) were kept on the dock full-time. my advice is to get your CDL and get to a hub and get on the road board. soon you will be just like us hooking and dropping in 30 minutes, running hub to hub at night.

see i was told the company wasnt going to hire full time dock anymore(this was 2yrs ago) about a year after that i transfered to a hub into a full time dock spot..believe it or not people still tell it doesnt happen anymore so i am still trying to figure out what i was doing at the hub if it wasnt full time dock.

do they add you to the bottom of the driver board or do they put you where your company senority would land you at?

do they add you to the bottom of the driver board or do they put you where your company senority would land you at?

The bottom ...with your CDL date ...but that was the old rules ...who knows

I also saw a full time dock job posted at a hub this week ...look at the Job posting sheet

The Hub that I run to still has many full time dock hands ...and I think we need them ... Not everone wants to drive a truck ..and they still make good employees

The bottom ...with your CDL date ...but that was the old rules ...who knows

I also saw a full time dock job posted at a hub this week ...look at the Job posting sheet

The Hub that I run to still has many full time dock hands ...and I think we need them ... Not everone wants to drive a truck ..and they still make good employees

As far as I know, hubs are about the only centers with full-time dock positions. If I'm not mistaken though, when they initially made the changes they cut most of those out too. Then slowly they seemed to come back. Just seems like that's the way I remember it anyway.

I hear that in northern calif. full time employee's at fedex west will be forced to become part timers. If anyone can shed some light on this subject please reply.
Thx. :shock:
It is our understanding here in Reno that everyone will have to have a CDL, with the exception of parttime. That means hoslers, fuelers, dockworkers, and off site loaders will have to have CDL's or be part time.
We have long time employees here at Reno that have been in these positions for 20 plus years and if they cannot get a CDL it's part time or good bye. I'm sure this is being repeated through the west at every service center.

It is our understanding here in Reno that everyone will have to have a CDL, with the exception of parttime. That means hoslers, fuelers, dockworkers, and off site loaders will have to have CDL's or be part time.
We have long time employees here at Reno that have been in these positions for 20 plus years and if they cannot get a CDL it's part time or good bye. I'm sure this is being repeated through the west at every service center.
It was put the same way here a few years back, but at some hubs some hands stayed full time at full time dock only. I have a question about the comment hostlers needing a CDL, I thought that hostling had to go on the log book as driving time, therfore they should already have a CDL. I don't hostle so I have only heard this, maybe someone can line me out with what really happens...... I try to learn something everyday.

Once again we see the differance between east and west. With Viking the hostlers were not drivers and, in the past, did not have to have a CDL unless they had to drive on a public street to hostle. They were part of the dock crew and often switch between dock and hostler. They were not on the p&d bid board. Hostler accidents did not go against p&d. This all going away I guess.

Once again we see the differance between east and west. With Viking the hostlers were not drivers and, in the past, did not have to have a CDL unless they had to drive on a public street to hostle. They were part of the dock crew and often switch between dock and hostler. They were not on the p&d bid board. Hostler accidents did not go against p&d. This all going away I guess.
I thought it was the new DOT regulations that brought this about ...not the EAST as you put it! ...

How long were you sitting on this reply? Did you have it bookmarked? Lol
Hey now S69 , imported_Stinky had been around a long time and just got back to the states from a special mission . Welcome back Stinky !

I worked full-time for Viking / Fedex Freight West for 21 years. In 2009, they cut my job from full-time to part-time. I was paying a mortgage and had a couple of medical bills.

Needless to say I told them, in the words of Johnny Paycheck, “Take this job, and shove it.”

Hey now S69 , imported_Stinky had been around a long time and just got back to the states from a special mission . Welcome back Stinky !

I don't know smoke.... Seems like he's been staring at his phone grumbling through 15 years of FedEx freight growth to jump on when there are tough decisions being made to take joy in the hurting of others. I could be wrong though.

There is no taking joy in y’all’s pain. It was a simple comment. I’ve been there. There is a solution under y’all’s noses, but y’all are ignoring it.

I remember the armchair quarterbacking about how the company should be run.I remember the on-going cost-cutting Freddy Smith would do at our expense. I remember caring and hoping things would get better, but they never did.

The best thing that could happen to me was being shown the door. There is so much more out there.

When I ran across the old e-mail that said truckingboards and imported_stinky (a handle I still don’t understand), I figured I’d see what’s changed. My comment reflected that I have seen no change. The grumbling about the job cuts was still a topic; the “suggestions” about how wealthy people can save money was still a topic, and insulting people to make oneself feel bigger is still happening.

So, 15 years later, nothing’s changed. The company still keeps y’all in y’all’s places.

There is no taking joy in y’all’s pain. It was a simple comment. I’ve been there. There is a solution under y’all’s noses, but y’all are ignoring it.

I remember the armchair quarterbacking about how the company should be run.I remember the on-going cost-cutting Freddy Smith would do at our expense. I remember caring and hoping things would get better, but they never did.

The best thing that could happen to me was being shown the door. There is so much more out there.

When I ran across the old e-mail that said truckingboards and imported_stinky (a handle I still don’t understand), I figured I’d see what’s changed. My comment reflected that I have seen no change. The grumbling about the job cuts was still a topic; the “suggestions” about how wealthy people can save money was still a topic, and insulting people to make oneself feel bigger is still happening.

So, 15 years later, nothing’s changed. The company still keeps y’all in y’all’s places.
Y'all come back soon!