Yellow | full time

Here in Indy, (city/dock) they can put you on full time on the first day if they want,....but RARELY do. (Everyone from Preston and Crouse was. None since, to my knowledge.) Then, after they hire you you have 30 calendar days to get your probation in. Road, here, is straight to the board, for 30 calendar days. Your seniority starts with the day of your letter of hire.

We have some casuals that worked a month or so and were hired. We have one who's worked at least 10 years and turned down being hired many times. Average time being casual here seems to be about 6-8 months. When they hire someone here, neither side can have the excuse for not knowing what they've gotten into.

It seems that all supplements are different when it comes to this subject and we need to adress this in the next contract.I feel that when a person goes through the oriention and passes everything,that that person should begin their seniority from the first punch ,and after 30 consecutive days be put on the board period.This is B.S. with the deal that a guy has to work casual until the company feels that it is time to hire a guy full time,and then he/she has to go another 30 days without Union represention,Thats pure bullshit and we as union members need to address this with our respective local leaders.

I can't understand why there is so much difference between supplements.
I used to work under New York State Teamsters, now I'm in Central States and it's not the same contract!
We need to have a national contract and do away with all this individual supplement crap!
What ever happened to the National Master Freight Agreement?

deaf dumb and blind said:
I can't understand why there is so much difference between supplements.
I used to work under New York State Teamsters, now I'm in Central States and it's not the same contract!
We need to have a national contract and do away with all this individual supplement crap!
What ever happened to the National Master Freight Agreement?
I disagree that all the supplements should be the same unless we could all agree on which one was the very best and all go under that one. It'll never happen though.

I wish that once you paid your two years of tuition at a NMFA company, you never had to do it again. It really hurts to have to start over three, four or more times. I thought while we were dreaming I would tell everyone my dream too.

Depends on the location. We hire straight in no probation. That said new hires rarely last 30 days before they quit anyway. We've been looking all year for help, but haven't had even 1 person accept a job yet. They used to come in and work a week or two then quit, but we haven't been able to sucker anyone in this year. Oh well there's always next year.

If you have a cdl... Your hired here. They shoot themselves in the foot if they get rid of you during the 30 days. If you can find anyone to even do that! It's pitiful. Most of these guys they hire wouldn't have been called back after a week as a casual in the bygone days when we had to walk a mile in the snow to get to the terminal. Lol.
New guys just look so confused. Sorry. But they do.

If you have a cdl... Your hired here. They shoot themselves in the foot if they get rid of you during the 30 days. If you can find anyone to even do that! It's pitiful. Most of these guys they hire wouldn't have been called back after a week as a casual in the bygone days when we had to walk a mile in the snow to get to the terminal. Lol.
We had to unload skids with dock hooks and chains.....barefoot, in the bygone days.

We had to unload skids with dock hooks and chains.....barefoot, in the bygone days.
We had to have 1 guy on the dock just be on the lookout for Indians, while the rest of us used horses to pull the freight off the wagon...

Reactions: mud
I use to tell the new supervisors how brainwashed they were when they first started.
I told my new dock supervisor one day to just go back in the office. The terminal manager asked me if this was true. I told him his supervisor is acting like a fool. He told me to never do that again, and then he told the new supervisor to quit acting like a fool.

Last edited: