FedEx Freight | FXF Driver Apprentice School or stay with Dayton Freight

Shane.STL

TB Lurker
Credits
Hey guys, I got my CDL Permit with all the endorsements with the idea of changing careers from Personal Training to trucking. I was recently hired on at Dayton Freight Lines as a part time dockworker. I have to work part time for 6 months to have a chance to get into their dock to driver program and that is not guaranteed at that time. I don’t mind putting in the time to pay my dues to become a driver but I’m not sure how long it could take there?

I was just contacted today about interviewing for the Driver Apprentice job with FXF and just wanted to get some thoughts on which you all think would be the best option for me... sticking it out with Dayton or taking the Driver Apprentice position if it is offered to me? Either way I’m in for a lot of dock work which is fine by me. I don’t have any experience driving a truck tho which I’m a little worried about as I heard then apprentice program is intense. Your input would be greatly appreciated!

Hey guys, I got my CDL Permit with all the endorsements with the idea of changing careers from Personal Training to trucking. I was recently hired on at Dayton Freight Lines as a part time dockworker. I have to work part time for 6 months to have a chance to get into their dock to driver program and that is not guaranteed at that time. I don’t mind putting in the time to pay my dues to become a driver but I’m not sure how long it could take there?

I was just contacted today about interviewing for the Driver Apprentice job with FXF and just wanted to get some thoughts on which you all think would be the best option for me... sticking it out with Dayton or taking the Driver Apprentice position if it is offered to me? Either way I’m in for a lot of dock work which is fine by me. I don’t have any experience driving a truck tho which I’m a little worried about as I heard then apprentice program is intense. Your input would be greatly appreciated!
One thing to think about is Dayton is regional and opportunity is limited. Fedex is nation wide so opportunity opportunity a limitless at Fedex. IMO!!

True. Have not thought ab it that way. Most likely I’d try for a P&D spot right now. I have a girlfriend w 2 little ones that I’d like to be around as much as possible. Working the road would def be an option at some point tho. You made a good point.

If you can get on the apprenticeship right away at FXF I would jump on that instead of hoping for the best at Dayton. I know the FXF training program is pretty good. Your not just thrown to the wolves. The trainers are trainers because that’s what they signed up for. You won’t just be with some driver to show you the ropes.

P&d for a new driver can be pretty rough but it can be done and new P&d drivers usually have bad start times like say 10 or even noon. They can also be put on road runs at night or shuttle runs depending on the service center needs.

Good luck with your new endeavor!

Thanks for the info! Yeah, read a little about it and I might have to look at driving something other than P&D to start off. Honestly, I’m open to anything as long as it gets me in the door. Hopefully there’s an opening in the program right off but I may have to work the dock for a bit first to get myself in it. I appreciate the input.

Don’t know what the staffing needs are in your area are, but at my yard, as soon as you finished your training, you’d be on a midnight start. You and the next sixteen hired. P&D doesn’t necessarily mean bankers hours.

...interviewing for the Driver Apprentice job with FXF and just wanted to get some thoughts on which you all think would be the best option for me... sticking it out with Dayton or taking the Driver Apprentice position if it is offered to me?

FedEx's Program is established, proven and effective. If you meet expectations in the training process, you will go from an unskilled laborer to an fully licensed (doubles, HazMat, Tank), and SAFE, professional with a better than average earning potential, for life.

Don’t know what the staffing needs are in your area are, but at my yard, as soon as you finished your training, you’d be on a midnight start. You and the next sixteen hired. P&D doesn’t necessarily mean bankers hours.
Haha yeah figured so. I’m working late nights right now. It sucks but no choice, has to be done.

Pay no attention to R.C. & Co, on matters like this. Unless you go to the left coast. In the current market, most are likely to move up pretty quickly. All depends on location, and that interview you mentioned.

R.C. & Co may mean well, but beware, the voices within are often conflicted. All depends on which voice is dominant at any given time.:mf swordfight::poke:

Go fed ex. If you start on the dock then it will be hard for Dayton to want to move you into a drivers seat.

I got accepted into the program. Just waiting on the background check now. And then the drug screen. Anyone have any ideas on how long each of those will take?

I got accepted into the program. Just waiting on the background check now. And then the drug screen. Anyone have any ideas on how long each of those will take?
Usually takes 4 - 6 weeks for your offer letter, so hang tight. If you're at a busy center it will take you no time at all to get on FT Days.

Usually takes 4 - 6 weeks for your offer letter, so hang tight. If you're at a busy center it will take you no time at all to get on FT Days.
Cool thanks. I actually got the offer letter and accepted it. He said once the background goes thru then I’ll do the drug test and then any other pre-hire.

Cool thanks. I actually got the offer letter and accepted it. He said once the background goes thru then I’ll do the drug test and then any other pre-hire.
Rough estimates go something like this: 1-2 weeks comp based education, 4-6 total weeks of 1 on 1 training. all depending on how quickly you progress. Other variables include scheduling and passing the DMV CDL exam, possible wait for an available instructor, and the final 3-4 day orientation as an actual driver.

Enjoy the ride, you won't be bored.

Hey guys, I got my CDL Permit with all the endorsements with ......!

I have been through three CDL training programs.

1. First one was “pick it up quick” or get dropped kicked out. When I asked for the contracted training hours (240 hour training program) I was kicked out and the school lied about my attendant so I could not get access to funds. Don’t worry Karma is a Federal indictment.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-cdca/p...ding-va-collecting-tuition-veterans-who-never

2. Roadmaster – I learned how to pass the DMV test. 4 to 6 students to a truck and a lot of waiting for your turn. Could I have driven a truck as a P&D driver? NO, could not even get a job except OTR team driving (for 6 to 12 weeks) with the top 5 :::shit:::

3. FEDEX Driver Apprentice Program. Bingo hit the jackpot :kicking:. Three weeks of one to one training with the first week my driving hours exceeded the time behind the wheel at both other schools. My first week I was having issues dropping the pup into the box. The instructor went over and got 53’ trailer said “try this”. Dropped it into the box no problem even parallel parked it. All my other training had been in a 53’ with sleeper. This turned a bad week into I can do this. Had a few issues but this was because I had to unlearn bull and pick up the FEDEX way. Because I was not in a crowded class I received the training I needed to be a safe driver. I also started my Driver Apprentice with my Class A in my hand, just no experience. So there was no waiting to get to the DMV test for me.

I am doing P&D now and at my center start time for me is 9:00 to 9:30. Two other drivers that were hired after me start time is 11:00 to 12:00. So I missed that boat.

If FedEx makes the commitment to invest in you as a driver, you will get the skills you need to drive P&D. I started the process early this year so as for my CDL driving career I am a newbie. I have been driving in the city for a long time and know the city. Knowing your city is a big help and asking other drivers the best approach to a customer’s yards too. I will park on the center of the street and walk it first if I have never been someplace. I once was trying to back in on a busy street and I kept getting close to the yards fence. I was moving slow for the street and had a lot of traffic backed up. Missed it so I went around the block 2nd time did the same, 3nd hit it spot on. backed into the customers yard and all he said was he was happy I can back he had been waiting for the shipment for 3 weeks and did not care how many times I went around the block as long as I delivered it today.

Good luck and drive safe

Thanks for the info! How much dock work are you doing now that you passed the program?? I guess the thing I’m worried about is not passing thru a part of the driving program and then getting kicked out and having to work the dock for 6 months before having another shot. I work the dock at Dayton with a lot of guys who worked the dock at Fed Ex and they’ve all said its not the greatest environment. So if I’m stuck there for 6 months it wouldn’t be the greatest situation.

I don’t have any driving experience so not sure how hard the program would be for me. I talked w my manager last night and he agreed to have me start spotting so I have that going for me at least.

All I have left to do at Fed Ex is the drug test.