XPO | Garbage and lift gate freight

vetran peddleman

FOR ENTERTAINMENT USE ONLY
Credits
Am I dreaming or is it just me, because it seems like we’re getting a whole lot more garbage freight,(defined as big,ugly, and poor load ability... other carriers won’t tough this stuff i.e. OD,New Penn etc.,), along with more lift gate freight? For example, I had 2 industrial blowers that had to be unloaded with a crane the other day. Out of 11 dispatches, 9 were with liftgate trailers, until I complained and now a junior man is getting them. Bottom line, is this our future working these kinds of loads till we get frustrated to the point that we quit the industry so that we won’t go into retirement as cripples or what?

Am I dreaming or is it just me, because it seems like we’re getting a whole lot more garbage freight,(defined as big,ugly, and poor load ability... other carriers won’t tough this stuff i.e. OD,New Penn etc.,), along with more lift gate freight? For example, I had 2 industrial blowers that had to be unloaded with a crane the other day. Out of 11 dispatches, 9 were with liftgate trailers, until I complained and now a junior man is getting them. Bottom line, is this our future working these kinds of loads till we get frustrated to the point that we quit the industry so that we won’t go into retirement as cripples or what?
All companies get their share of garbage freight, I have a liftgate trailer 99% of the time. Junior men do drop & hooks while the senior men are abused daily with oversized ugly freight....

They know whos gonna get the freight delivered. Sucks
So true. My barn has four liftgates and three of them would have one or two liftgate stops and maybe three dock bumps. The run I would have would have four liftgates and 8 dockbumps. And the liftgate stop would be off my route, so I would have to run my ass off to complete the run. So you are absolutely right the the heavy liftgate run goes the the peddler and the slob get the easy run

The bottom line is that our experience and work ethic are irreplaceable.
That's a true statement, What young people that they are able to recruit into this industry simply cannot and will not do the things we have done to( Get the job done) . I look for some trucking companies to close simply because they will not be able to recruit Drivers , especially Truckload Carriers . I don't know when this will come into play but I think it will be in the next five to ten years when most of us are done with Trucking.

not missing p&d,except the hours,i was one of the "dummies"who worked and got the frt off,then did everybody elses pickups

not missing p&d,except the hours,i was one of the "dummies"who worked and got the frt off,then did everybody elses pickups
"Only way I know,don't stop til every things gone . don't back up, don't back down.full throttle,wide open.you get tired,you don't show it.
Dig a little deeper when you think you can't dig no more, it's the only way WE know." Jaon Aldean , Only Way I Know

"Only way I know,don't stop til every things gone . don't back up, don't back down.full throttle,wide open.you get tired,you don't show it.
Dig a little deeper when you think you can't dig no more, it's the only way WE know." Jaon Aldean , Only Way I Know
" Thanks " Dad! Hope I make you proud!(appreciate the work boot in my "hind end", i guess I'll just rub some dirt on it and keep gettin' it!

This is interesting cause the service manager at xcv just told all of us on Thursday that they were in a position to turn down more of that junk freight because there just isn’t enough drivers industry wide to ship everything. He said we should start noticing less and less of it, but maybe that’s just in Carlstadt / the northeast .

However he did admit that because there just isn’t enough flatbed trucks out there, and because ups/fedex are gonna charge a flat rate of $750 on any long ugly freight that weighs over 150lbs, that they are being asked more and more to pick it up.

This is interesting cause the service manager at xcv just told all of us on Thursday that they were in a position to turn down more of that junk freight because there just isn’t enough drivers industry wide to ship everything.

We heard that message, too- but experience has shown that the garbage comes and goes. They think they can make money on it, until they aren't.

Bottom line, is this our future working these kinds of loads till we get frustrated to the point that we quit the industry so that we won’t go into retirement as cripples or what?

I don't get frustrated, and I won't be a cripple. I'll do the best I can to get the freight off, but sometimes you just can't. If I miss other stops, maybe that will be a hint. I can only do what the receiver and I can do. I don't lose sleep over our freight mix. One peddle at a time.

You’re lucky you don’t work at ABF Freight, VPM. Talk about garbage freight! And as for ‘dumping’ the crappy liftgate routes onto the less-senior drivers...well, that never worked at my barn. For me, at least.

I hear ya, DD! There’s at least TWO lazy-asses at every terminal. I retired recently, but I was like you: busted my onions everyday to make all my deliveries and pickups. I took it ‘personal’ if I didn’t complete my work. Towards my ‘end time’ there was a lot of route imbalance. I’d go out with 15-18 deliveries, while the others had 5-6. Hang in there, my friend!!

All companies get their share of garbage freight, I have a liftgate trailer 99% of the time. Junior men do drop & hooks while the senior men are abused daily with oversized ugly freight....
It's the nail that stands up that gets hammered. Show them once you can do the hard job and you will forever be tasked to do said job again and again. Never show any aptitude to preform hard tasks and the powers that be will treat you with kid gloves. You made the mistake the first time you showed them you could do your job.

It's the nail that stands up that gets hammered. Show them once you can do the hard job and you will forever be tasked to do said job again and again. Never show any aptitude to preform hard tasks and the powers that be will treat you with kid gloves. You made the mistake the first time you showed them you could do your job.
After 26 years in the city, old habits are hard to change....

So true, WWD! Can’t think of ANY job I had that didn’t go down how you described it.

So true. My barn has four liftgates and three of them would have one or two liftgate stops and maybe three dock bumps. The run I would have would have four liftgates and 8 dockbumps. And the liftgate stop would be off my route, so I would have to run my ass off to complete the run. So you are absolutely right the the heavy liftgate run goes the the peddler and the slob get the easy run
I’ve found that a steady constant pace is better than “running hard” because when you get in a hurry your chances of hitting things increases. Not doggin you driver; just saying don’t let leaderships poor planning cause you problems. If all the freight delivers then great. If two come back then great. I keep the same pace and them worry about their screwups on the dispatch side.