Garden Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 5115
  • Start date
soils that are mostly clay may benifit from mixing in things such as sand, peat moss, compost, etc. also grow plants that do well in clay soils.

It is getting to be that time of year again so look what I dug up from the past!

I have some seeds started in the window sill. I have them in an aquarium with a heat pad in the bottom of it and so far nothing has damped off. I have some tomatoes and hot peppers going. Tomatoes are hybrids so they come from seeds, some left over from last year and had to buy the super beefsteaks at the store. Super Sauce and cherry tomato left over seeds. I got hot peppers at the chili pepper festival last year and I kept seeds from them. Not having great luck with the peppers but I got a few to sprout. From my window I can see that my Egyptian onions made it through the hellacious winter and I have to get out there and eye them up closer. Soon will be time for broccoli and cauliflower if the ground is dry enough for me to till it.

My plan for my wall is finally coming together. I found some good sized blueberry shrubs in five gallon buckets. Plenty of room for second row but may use that for something else this year.

Going to insert a few strawberry plants along wall and between shrubs.

Low fence is to keep hounds out. They are not willfully destructive but will wander into any available space while romping around during horseplay.

mail

Another blueberry on that side and peppers in far corner. Sugar Baby ice box watermelon seedlings against far wall with room to crawl toward the sun

mail

Being retired now this will be the first good year to have our garden.. We have also started with them indoors.. Peppers, beans and tomatoes so far.. goal this year is to build a green house.. We have all organic seeds.. none of those modified stuff..

Being retired now this will be the first good year to have our garden.. We have also started with them indoors.. Peppers, beans and tomatoes so far.. goal this year is to build a green house.. We have all organic seeds.. none of those modified stuff..
I just got an offer from a local nursery to build some bean trellises like this one I built for myself for retail sale. I can only do it on a limited basis now but will be a nice job when I'm retired working at home at my own pace doing something I enjoy.

2012-07-14120841_zps6f328736.jpg

Found a spring visitor on my rose bush. Trying to be as organic as possible and when I see these little guys coming out it makes it all worthwhile.

I grow a lot of heirlooms as well and try to be as organic as possible. I started some
peppers and tomatoes from seed indoors in February and will be putting them in the garden soon.

I bought a beefsteak and Better Boy just because I have never grown them before and heard they do well in this area. The Beefsteak already has a bloom.

Found a spring visitor on my rose bush. Trying to be as organic as possible and when I see these little guys coming out it makes it all worthwhile.

I saw one yesterday, along with some bees. Maybe the hard winter had a cleansing effect. That reminds me to fill up my humming bird feeders.

Expecting a cold 28 degrees here tonight. Brought what I could indoors and covered what I could outside. Seeds I planted last week were just starting to come up :(

Expecting a cold 28 degrees here tonight. Brought what I could indoors and covered what I could outside. Seeds I planted last week were just starting to come up :(

Cold frames!

A must where I am. Anything that is frost sensitive, but needs a bit longer growing season gets them.

I wish I had thought of this years ago but I guess the need had never arisen. I simply cut out two slots the same dimensions as the E-track slots in a freight van and it works like a charm. I figured I could do the same thing along the sides if I needed to strap something over the top.

2014-04-20155814_zps98c1b4cb.jpg

Pre-sold is great, no costly inventory.
Especially when I don't have room to store them out of the weather, but I do plan to stockpile some materials so I don't have to go to Lowes every time I get ready to build one. Will save time and fuel and we know prices never go down.

First cutting of asparagus today. Should have done it a day or two ago but none of it was too far gone so I'm good. Ate some with dinner, froze the rest.