Garden Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 5115
  • Start date
I can't believe I have never in my entire life eaten asparagus. I surely must try it one day.
You must. It has a taste all its own, kind of strong but not too bad. It's a perennial but it takes a couple of years before you can harvest it and it does drop seeds and reproduce a little.

I am not having luck with the strawberries I planted several years ago, the plants and the berries are small and they are not sweet at all. And I was so hoping to enjoy some of my own on them. :shrug: But I have never found perfect conditions for all vegetables in one place. I have learned to grow what grows well where I am.

Found a spring visitor on my rose bush. Trying to be as organic as possible and when I see these little guys coming out it makes it all worthwhile.

Nice picture Dusty. Great colors, really good bokeh.

Is that from a smell phone?

I can't believe I have never in my entire life eaten asparagus. I surely must try it one day.

shocked.gif

Never?

Why girl, you gotta have some.

But it has to be just right, or you will never have it again. But, get it just right and you will never get enough.

So.

Get.

Some!

Asparagus shoots point towards magnetic north when they are young. It is not noticeable when they break out into leaves though. I know it's hard to believe so I took a pic of my weedy asparagus bed. You'll just have to take my word for it that that is magnetic north they are pointing to.

Never?

Why girl, you gotta have some.

But it has to be just right, or you will never have it again. But, get it just right and you will never get enough.

So.

Get.

Some!

this is true about aspergrass...

i went to my local Aldi store, and there, they had "white aspergrass", and i gotta tell you, the stems were rock hard...(now these where in a glass jar by the way)

i usually buy green giant brand, but then too, there has been a time or two when the stems were rock hard.

sometimes, when i can get a good buy on fresh, i will, but otherwise, green giant is the brand i will buy.

they are a darned good veggie....wish i had more space in my garden, i'd grow'em....

The white asparagus are considered "gourmet". They are covered with mulch when they are growing to keep the sun off of them and stop them from producing chlorophyll so they are white. I never tried it. BTW asparagus out of a jar or can??? Gag me with a spoon. It freezes ok though.

The white asparagus are considered "gourmet". They are covered with mulch when they are growing to keep the sun off of them and stop them from producing chlorophyll so they are white. I never tried it. BTW asparagus out of a jar or can??? Gag me with a spoon. It freezes ok though.

sometimes, i cannot find fresh asper-grass at my local stores, so canned will have to do..and then, it's usually "the jolly green giant"

wish i had me such guards.....keep away the squirrels..!!

RD, what are those huge leafy veggies growing in what looked like the lower right corner of the garden..??

The feline is the natural predator of the fowl.

The Gnome is known for its ability to ward off evil spirits.

And get you great deals on motels and airline tickets!

travelocity-gnome.png

Asparagus is nice and crispy off the grill, no doubt. Those look like squash plants with the large leaves, could be zucchinis. Cats are miniature lions and they are fun to watch stalk a rodent.

The poor bunny was clearly homeless. You should leave him something outside the fence.

Well..on second thought, before you know it all his buddies start showing up and then you've brought a bad element into the neighborhood.

RD, what are those huge leafy veggies growing in what looked like the lower right corner of the garden..??

2 zucchini plants and 1 crook neck squash

Those look like squash plants with the large leaves, could be zucchinis.

yep!

The poor bunny was clearly homeless. You should leave him something outside the fence.

Well..on second thought, before you know it all his buddies start showing up and then you've brought a bad element into the neighborhood.

True story!! LOL