Garden Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 5115
  • Start date
you got someone in your garden that can adjust your glasses..??? and they sell work boots as well...????

christ, man, what kind of garden DO YOU plant..????

personally, i plant a spaghetti and meatball, and pizza garden, and i thought that was special..... :LMAO:
DUDE.Come outta the stone ages. You can plant anything nowdays. Course...some stuff don't come up. But wth? With a memory short as mine I can't remember what I planted. Yesterday I saw a Cessna pulling one of them Fountain Powerboats 'cross the yard.

I watched this bunny from my kitchen window for a long time before finally recording him making his way around my garden fence, stopping here and there, looking for a way in
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202272102511705&set=vb.1465085096&type=2&theater

Dusty, you need some of these:

Contech-500x500.jpg

We had trouble with the deer eating our roses. Plus the neighborhood cats liked to use the flowerbeds for their personal catbox. Tried all kinds of stuff that was supposed to keep them away.

Then we found these motion activated sprinklers.

Now the roses are lush and full of blooms, the smell of cat poop is gone, and the electric meter reader gets a quick hose down when he comes every other month.

Oh, and the UPS and FedEx guys have learned to use the back porch too!

We had trouble with the deer eating our roses. Plus the neighborhood cats liked to use the flowerbeds for their personal catbox. Tried all kinds of stuff that was supposed to keep them away.
Oh, and the UPS and FedEx guys have learned to use the back porch too!

we do not have deer but we do have stray cats, that like the openness of the garden for thier own use.

what i have done and it seems to work, is i buy a bottle of either wolf or coyote pee and then squirt that all around the bordering of the garden. the cats keep away, and so do the squirrels.

but, that "pee in a bottle" costs a lot. (and no...i will not want trucker's pee either, keep that to yourselves).

as for the UPS guy, he knows where the packages go, he has a brain, and can read the signs posted.

but the FedEx guys..??

i have to take a pic of my sign, go to the FedEx place and scream at the supervisor on how can any of his people be so stupid. this works for about the next delivery....then continues...

as soon as medieval weapons are legal, i will put one in the yard, to take care of the dumbass Fedex guys....

53239260.jpg

Now I got deer in my garden. I need a game cam so I can see what time their there, then I can take to the cross bow.

Pro1, I sometimes make what is referred to as "Icebox pickles".

I have my cucumbers growing up a trellis, which is simply a wood frame covered with chicken wire and leaned up against the shed. They take up a whole lot less space when given something to climb rather than being left to sprawl.

Pro1, I sometimes make what is referred to as "Icebox pickles".

I have my cucumbers growing up a trellis, which is simply a wood frame covered with chicken wire and leaned up against the shed. They take up a whole lot less space when given something to climb rather than being left to sprawl.

sheesh.....i'm sorry to hear this, late in the season, as my garden has a lot there right now.

i will "make note" of what you do, and next season, give that a try. i never heard of a trellis for the cuc's.....

thanks..!!

Here ya go Pro1. Cucumbers I planted in cinder blocks climbing a chicken wire trellis leaned up against the old shed.

Yummy for the tummy!

Another cucumber that just popped up out of no where in the middle of my garden. Must have been a seed or two that survived in the soil from last year. I just put an old homemade tomato cage around it and let it grow.

thanks Road Dust. i had already written down and i copied your pics, for next years garden.

are the flowers on a cucumber plant edible like those on a zucchini plant..??

my mother has a couple of recipes that were handed down from her mother and sisters, that she can fry up the zucchini flower in a lite batter, and it is some sort of "fritter"...

since i cannot grow zucchini's due to thier long vines, i can not supply mom with those flowers. she had bought a "few" in a package at the local market.....

something like nearly $6 for that package, but the fritters were so damned good..>!!!!

hell, maybe i can "trellis" the zucchini as well...???

by the way, you have a real neat set up for the cucs to grow. i'd have to have a much smaller one however, but i will try that next season..!!

thanks Road Dust. i had already written down and i copied your pics, for next years garden.

are the flowers on a cucumber plant edible like those on a zucchini plant..??

my mother has a couple of recipes that were handed down from her mother and sisters, that she can fry up the zucchini flower in a lite batter, and it is some sort of "fritter"...

since i cannot grow zucchini's due to thier long vines, i can not supply mom with those flowers. she had bought a "few" in a package at the local market.....

something like nearly $6 for that package, but the fritters were so damned good..>!!!!

hell, maybe i can "trellis" the zucchini as well...???

by the way, you have a real neat set up for the cucs to grow. i'd have to have a much smaller one however, but i will try that next season..!!
Thank you!

I'm not sure if the cucumber flowers are edible or not. I've never heard of anyone cooking them. They are pretty small compared to the zucchini. I have battered the zucchini flowers and fried them and they are good.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that you can cage or trellis the zucchini, and melons as well. If you give melons a nice sturdy trellis for the vines to climb, as the melon starts to develop, put it in something like a panty hose leg or any kind of cradle-like support and tie it to the trellis to take the weight off the vine. Something like this:

My melon plants are just sprawling in my garden, meandering through the peppers, okra, and tomatoes. I have 3 or 4 good sized melons developing. These tomatoes just popped up among the okra. Apparently something survived from last year. I'm just hoping they don't crowd each other out as my little garden is starting to resemble a small jungle with all the surprised popping up that I never expected.

the panty hose trick, works. one year, when i didn't have any of that "green gardener's tape" to tie my 'matoes" and eggplant, i had asked for used hosiery. after the initial blank stares, i had to "back up" a bit and explain why i needed it.....

one year, i even had to use hosiery to tie up the insides of my Arborvitae trees (i cut them down as a shrub), because that winter, was bad and many of the branches bent over and would not straighten up again...

you got a small jungle...??

very often i do as well......

in this pic, you see eggplants, this particular year, they grew as tall as they did...

that is my dad, back then, cant remember his age, but he is now 90..

he stands about 5'8"....and the eggplant are up to his belt....

in this pick, you will see grass..that is all gone now......

Picture332_zps5e966613.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

in this next pic, wanna see that jungle..???

in the foreground, one tomato plant was as tall as the one you can see near the left rear corner, (about 4 feet tall)...well this one in the foreground was so heavy, it broke the stake i had it tied to, and spilled over the flower pots, actually burying a flower pot under it....

Picture1006_zps9f3dde49.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

this is an over head shot of the garden, it measures all of about 15' x 15', i do not remember the year of this shot, but in the foreground, you see the Arborvitae, then string beans, then eggplant, then tomatoes, some herbs are hidden, the green onions are hidden as well.

so as you can see, this is how much of a jungle i have..

this year however, due to what has been going on with me, the amount of plants are smaller in numbers, and i did plant more sweet corn seeds, and yet, i will still have a "mini-jungle".....:LMAO:

Picture1159_zpscbfd9365.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

which is also another reason why "next year", i will try your trellis idea for the cucs.....