Garden Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 5115
  • Start date
I think my patented bean pyramid could be ideal for you PRO1. It is versatile and portable; you wouldn't be committed to one location. I have an unsold unit that would be perfect for you. (Smooth sales pitch eh?)

However, shipping could be a problem. You are somewhat out of my $25 delivery zone. The tolls would kill me!

IMG_20140702_134109010_HDR_zps91282fa0.jpg

that IS an interesting design.

although i cannot fully see all 4 sides, would i be correct in assuming that "opposite side" of the "diamond window" is wide open so a person can get in and pick any string beans that grow inside..??

if there is one thing i learn from this particular thread, gardener's are surely inventive..!!!

yeah, i think the GW Bridge toll for trucks is......$90 now..????

anyone confirm that..???

that IS an interesting design.

although i cannot fully see all 4 sides, would i be correct in assuming that "opposite side" of the "diamond window" is wide open so a person can get in and pick any string beans that grow inside..??
The window is optional and yes, I leave room for interior access.

image_zpsa0436a04.jpg

yeah, i think the GW Bridge toll for trucks is......$90 now..????

anyone confirm that..???
Over a hundred now for five axles I understand. I remember when it jumped from 5.00 to 7.50, then to 20.00. It must have taken excremental, er, monumental leaps after that.

Over a hundred now for five axles I understand. I remember when it jumped from 5.00 to 7.50, then to 20.00. It must have taken excremental, er, monumental leaps after that.

Cash toll on the GW is now $85 for a 5 axle commercial vehicle.

Tolls are collected Eastbound only. Crossing into Joisey is always FREE.

Guess they wanna get you out of the Big Apple as soon as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cash toll on the GW is now $85 for a 5 axle commercial vehicle.

Tolls are collected Eastbound only. Crossing into Joisey is always FREE.

Guess they wanna get you out of the Big Apple as soon as possible.

As Ed McMahon would say: YOU ARE CORRECT SIR!
I was basing my answer on what a member posted here at some point who was obviously quoting the 6 axle rate. Leave it to a trucker to exaggerate.

I was basing my answer on what a member posted here at some point who was obviously quoting the 6 axle rate. Leave it to a trucker to exaggerate.

The first time I went out to Long Island I asked a friend who grew up in the greater New York City area for guidance. He told me to take lots of cash. I did.

I started my day at a TA in New Jersey, and after crossing Outerbridge and Verrazano going in, then back out on the same and down the New Jersey Turnpike, across a toll bridge into Philly, and another turnpike in Delaware, when I got to the last toll bridge in Maryland I was digging through my laundry change jar to pay the last toll.

Although it was all reimbursed, it was an expensive day, to be sure.

well i never heard of such a thing......

I think it would be cool to have climbing roses growing up it or some kind of flowering vine. You could even make a little fairy garden or mini wildlife habitat inside it.
My plan for next year is to plant some tomatoes inside, letting them feed through about two feet up and let them climb the outside. Hopefully the inward angle will help keep them stable with a minimum of help.

At eight feet tall, it's three feet taller than my cages so should bear a decent crop.

My plan for next year is to plant some tomatoes inside, letting them feed through about two feet up and let them climb the outside. Hopefully the inward angle will help keep them stable with a minimum of help.

At eight feet tall, it's three feet taller than my cages so should bear a decent crop.

Heck yeah!

This has been my year for trying different stuff. These little eggplant are called Hansel. There is a counterpart named Gretel which produces a light colored, almost white colored albino eggplant which I find a little creepy.

This plant is maybe two feet tall and produces like crazy. I plan on two or three next year. I pick them at about 3-4 inches long and a half dozen makes a nice single serving for me. I slice in half long ways,batter and deep fry.

The plant to the right with single eggplant is an Ichiban. That is only the second eggplant it has produced all season. Striking it from my list.

IMG_20140708_085711946_zps61e8adcb.jpg

Indigo Rose

These plum looking tomatoes grow in clusters like grapes and get to the size of salad tomatoes. They start out green then develop the purple shade on top. As they ripen the lower half becomes red. The inside is red when sliced but has a distinctive flavor.

IMG_20140708_085802617_zpsa6486ec0.jpg

Left to right--Black Prince, Golden Jubilee, Indigo Rose

The Black Prince ripens to that strange color and I have been judging more by softness. Deep purple inside and tastes awesome. Similar to flavor of Indigo Rose but more intense.

First Golden Jubilee I have picked so haven't tasted yet. Only three more on five foot plant. Actually, other than the Indigo Rose, not getting many tomatoes at all. Beans not looking so great either. Last year was too much rain and now we're having a heat wave. At least this is only a hobby because I don't know if I could be real farmer and be at the mercy of Mother Nature.

IMG_20140711_202426689_zps3d3e5267.jpg

Left to right--Black Prince, Golden Jubilee, Indigo Rose

The Black Prince ripens to that strange color and I have been judging more by softness. Deep purple inside and tastes awesome. Similar to flavor of Indigo Rose but more intense.

First Golden Jubilee I have picked so haven't tasted yet. Only three more on five foot plant. Actually, other than the Indigo Rose, not getting many tomatoes at all. Beans not looking so great either. Last year was too much rain and now we're having a heat wave. At least this is only a hobby because I don't know if I could be real farmer and be at the mercy of Mother Nature.

IMG_20140711_202426689_zps3d3e5267.jpg

I'm trying to figure out how to grow me a few of those Miller Lites.

time to update this thread

the last posting was on 7/12......!!!

this year, i am having a "banner year" with my Italian Green peppers.

these are typically long, and thin walled, and as a result, if you stuff them, then bake'em, they bake up in less time than an ordinary red or green Bell pepper.

in the past, when i had grown these, they would only grow to a height of about 2 feet.

i would get "some" peppers, but not at all like this years harvesting.

this year, all i did different was add in peat moss, and 10-10-10 fertilizer that i get at a "feed and grain" store, for about 40¢ per pound. so i got up to 3.5 pounds this year.

i also use "Miracal Grow" as well..

so this year, all the plants have grown up to and just past 4 feet...!!!

this morning i harvested 6.5 pounds....

in the pic below, you will see where many do measure up to 8 inches.

i did also include a smaller sized, which is great for stuffing as well.

you will see in this first pic, how long they are and girth....

here is this mornings harvest.....

Picture831_zpsd2f5ea63.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

now, here is a pic of last years peppers, notice how much smaller in length and girth....but still quite tasty...!!

Picture1403_zps692ea279.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

i am also having another great year for eggplant, and string beans, and this year i only have 2 tomato plants..

i have corn as well, it has grown taller than any other year, but i am not getting a good yield of corn..

i think next year, i will not plant corn, but knowing me...i may change my mind.....

so...how are your gardens doing..>????????