FedEx Freight | Gardena CA on strike, walkout!

If you weren't getting a fair shake you would have quit already. We are truck drivers not brain surgeons. Compared to all the trucking companies in the entire united states I would say as far as trucking jobs go fedex is toward the top. Not the best but toward the top. We could be making .33 a mile and only see the house once month for a day and a half with insurance so high you have to take a side job polishing tanks and wheels at the truck stop on your down time.

No, with the requirements and expectations of the Company, there would be empty trucks galore. The Company has expectations, joker. Those expectations come at a price.

The fair shake you speak of was clearly in decline. FedEx keeps an eye on market conditions and adjusts to them. We would be foolish to not do the same.

Spoken like a true liberal. Thinking you are entitled to 300 million of someone else's profit sounds like something Obama would propose. Like taking part of the profits from your paycheck to give to someone who works at McDonald's because that person deserves to be able to live life at the same level you are. You know, the redistribution of wealth thing, and then you want to offset the cost by passing it on to the customer, which ultimately passes the cost right back to you and me the consumer lol. ..great plan.

Not so fast, Joker. No one is entitled to anything, but there is certainly a right to pursue market value for the services we provide. You may choose not to participate, but don't deny the options available to achieve that fair market value.

Capitalism, Joker, not liberalism. The Corporation is a group of people, organized to achieve what an individual cannot. Organized labor is based on the same principal (to achieve what an individual cannot), and can provide balance in the relationship. The Company seeks to maximize their return based on market conditions. When the balance tilts too far in favor of investors, labor can (must?) organize to restore balance. Capitalism, Joker. Capitalism...

Spoken like a closed minded fool. So I guess we have the best compensated "liberal" pilot pool in the country. The pilots seem to be able to help themselves to the company profits every contract. The company raises rates every year. Could it not be said FedEx is helping themselves to the profit or potential profit of their customer base?

You sir are one of those people who blame the current president or only a Rep or Dem for everything that goes wrong in your life. That redistribution of wealth thing has been going on for awhile, long before Obama.The middle class is shrinking and the rich are expanding. Thus reducing the percentage of middle class workers.

No, with the requirements and expectations of the Company, there would be empty trucks galore. The Company has expectations, joker. Those expectations come at a price.

The fair shake you speak of was clearly in decline. FedEx keeps an eye on market conditions and adjusts to them. We would be foolish to not do the same.

This might be a tad off topic, but I noticed something when I was looking at the stats posted for CT. There was a point where we split off our sales force costs into the services opco, which would mean their salaries came out of that column. I know wages to revenue is a number you place a lot of emphasis on and was wondering if you took that into account. I would assume that the bulk of your comparables have the sales/marketing salaries figured into their overall wages column and we don't. Just a thought I had, don't want you to be changing your avatar or anything......

Be safe!

This might be a tad off topic, but I noticed something when I was looking at the stats posted for CT. There was a point where we split off our sales force costs into the services opco, which would mean their salaries came out of that column. I know wages to revenue is a number you place a lot of emphasis on and was wondering if you took that into account. I would assume that the bulk of your comparables have the sales/marketing salaries figured into their overall wages column and we don't. Just a thought I had, don't want you to be changing your avatar or anything......

Be safe!

Good question, aflifer. I just happen to have the answer.

The cost of sales/marketing is included in the annual report. It is listed under Intercompany charges. Rather than dig through all of the reports, lets use your (helpfull) link (page 34). We can see what happened to that number after sales was moved under FedEx Services. http://s1.q4cdn.com/714383399/files...ical/FedEx-Historical-Stat-Book-FY03-FY12.pdf

Here is the official explanation:

Page 35
"In Q1 FY10, approximately 2,700 FedEx Freight segment employees were transferred to FedEx Services and FedEx TechConnect. These employees represented the sales, information technology, marketing, pricing, customer service, claims and credit and collection functions of the FedEx Freight segment and were transferred to allow further centralization of these functions into the FedEx Services segment shared service organization. The costs of the functions are allocated to the FedEx Freight segment through intercompany charges"

Since sales is shared by all segments, each share in the expense/cost.

Page 25
"Net operating costs of the FedEx Services segment are allocated to the transportation segments it supports"

Sadly, my avatar must remain, for now. I do look forward to the day that it no longer makes a significant statement. Just so you know, you are only the 2nd person to share the opinion of not being a fan of the avatar. Not naming names, but you are in pretty good company. :1036316054:

Good question, aflifer. I just happen to have the answer.

The cost of sales/marketing is included in the annual report. It is listed under Intercompany charges. Rather than dig through all of the reports, lets use your (helpfull) link (page 34). We can see what happened to that number after sales was moved under FedEx Services. http://s1.q4cdn.com/714383399/files...ical/FedEx-Historical-Stat-Book-FY03-FY12.pdf

Here is the official explanation:

Page 35
"In Q1 FY10, approximately 2,700 FedEx Freight segment employees were transferred to FedEx Services and FedEx TechConnect. These employees represented the sales, information technology, marketing, pricing, customer service, claims and credit and collection functions of the FedEx Freight segment and were transferred to allow further centralization of these functions into the FedEx Services segment shared service organization. The costs of the functions are allocated to the FedEx Freight segment through intercompany charges"

Since sales is shared by all segments, each share in the expense/cost.

Page 25
"Net operating costs of the FedEx Services segment are allocated to the transportation segments it supports"

Sadly, my avatar must remain, for now. I do look forward to the day that it no longer makes a significant statement. Just so you know, you are only the 2nd person to share the opinion of not being a fan of the avatar. Not naming names, but you are in pretty good company. :1036316054:

Didn't necessarily say I wasnt a fan, just was trying to ascertain it's accuracy.......as should happen with all pertinent information.

So you added the intercompany costs line to our salary/wages line before dividing it by revenue when you came up with the % figures?

If not, I would think it would not be a true comparison against the other companies, who would have those costs already in the salaries.

Carry on.....

Spoken like a closed minded fool. So I guess we have the best compensated "liberal" pilot pool in the country. The pilots seem to be able to help themselves to the company profits every contract. The company raises rates every year. Could it not be said FedEx is helping themselves to the profit or potential profit of their customer base?

You sir are one of those people who blame the current president or only a Rep or Dem for everything that goes wrong in your life. That redistribution of wealth thing has been going on for awhile, long before Obama.The middle class is shrinking and the rich are expanding. Thus reducing the percentage of middle class workers.
Let's review who the fool is here. I agree that everyone deserves to be compensated accordingly and I believe we are. You are comparing the difference between yourself and pilots. I'm assuming you are a driver or possibly a dock hand? Hmmm let's see, oh yeah a high school dropout is eligible to do our job, some people think it's rocket science. Pilots go thru extensive training in the class room and in the field not to mention obtain degrees in aviation and aeronautics to fly commercially. All we have to do is pass a physical test and be able to half ass read to obtain a CDL. For no more that what It takes to do what we do here as drivers, in my opinion we are compensated pretty well. As far as you assuming I blame the president for everything that has gone wrong in my life is laughable. Have I had a lot go wrong in my life? I don't recall. I've got a great wife and kids, pretty good job so I'm not going to complain. FYI the last 3 presidents have sucked and the one we have now is by far the worst and from the looks of it the next one isn't going to be any better. If the trucking industry can't meet your high expectations, perhaps your should go back to school and pursue a career as a pilot or whatever job suits your needs. You sir should focus on what you have rather than whine about what someone else has.

Didn't necessarily say I wasnt a fan, just was trying to ascertain it's accuracy.......as should happen with all pertinent information.

So you added the intercompany costs line to our salary/wages line before dividing it by revenue when you came up with the % figures?

If not, I would think it would not be a true comparison against the other companies, who would have those costs already in the salaries.

Carry on.....
Excellet point. In order to see if that makes any significant difference, we'll have to look at some numbers. Stay tuned, a 10min break doesn't provide enough time, with only a phone.

EDIT: I don't expect to see a visibility significant change, but we'll see...

Last edited:
Let's review who the fool is here. I agree that everyone deserves to be compensated accordingly and I believe we are. You are comparing the difference between yourself and pilots. I'm assuming you are a driver or possibly a dock hand? Hmmm let's see, oh yeah a high school dropout is eligible to do our job, some people think it's rocket science. Pilots go thru extensive training in the class room and in the field not to mention obtain degrees in aviation and aeronautics to fly commercially. All we have to do is pass a physical test and be able to half ass read to obtain a CDL. For no more that what It takes to do what we do here as drivers, in my opinion we are compensated pretty well. As far as you assuming I blame the president for everything that has gone wrong in my life is laughable. Have I had a lot go wrong in my life? I don't recall. I've got a great wife and kids, pretty good job so I'm not going to complain. FYI the last 3 presidents have sucked and the one we have now is by far the worst and from the looks of it the next one isn't going to be any better. If the trucking industry can't meet your high expectations, perhaps your should go back to school and pursue a career as a pilot or whatever job suits your needs. You sir should focus on what you have rather than whine about what someone else has.

Some locations are compensated fairly and some are not. Not everyone is a road driver making 6 figures. If you put inexperienced drivers in the seat you are asking for accidents. Not everyone whines about what others have pprobably just whining about what we have. Lol

Relax joker. What everyone is talking about is FedEx is the #1 LTL. They should keep up with UPS. But they don't and that's their choice. Seen drivers that can't speak English so the company they work for don't have to pay what they should. So you think FedEx should pay us $10 hr? Because a driver that doesn't speak English and H S dropout would work for that.

Relax joker. What everyone is talking about is FedEx is the #1 LTL. They should keep up with UPS. But they don't and that's their choice. Seen drivers that can't speak English so the company they work for don't have to pay what they should. So you think FedEx should pay us $10 hr? Because a driver that doesn't speak English and H S dropout would work for that.

There is no "should" here in big boy world. This is back to the "fair" and "what's right" crap that's not now nor has ever been how the real world works. Fedex's position in the industry has nothing to do with your pay sorry to say. They are going to pay the amount required to get the worker the desire and nothing more. You can aspire for more but based on what I see you're in the minority among your fellow drivers. If over time Fedex falls to number three or four will you be so vocal about a pay cut equal to your rank? I highly doubt it.

There is no "should" here in big boy world. This is back to the "fair" and "what's right" crap that's not now nor has ever been how the real world works. Fedex's position in the industry has nothing to do with your pay sorry to say. They are going to pay the amount required to get the worker the desire and nothing more. You can aspire for more but based on what I see you're in the minority among your fellow drivers. If over time Fedex falls to number three or four will you be so vocal about a pay cut equal to your rank? I highly doubt it.
So your saying they shouldn't ask a company who is making money hand over fist for a raise or better work environment? Who should they want more money from? A broke company? That makes no sense at all.

So your saying they shouldn't ask a company who is making money hand over fist for a raise or better work environment? Who should they want more money from? A broke company? That makes no sense at all.

No that's not what I said at all, I said there is no "should". You guys think that because of Fedex's standings both financial and market position they "should" pay the best, that's not how the real world works. They are going to pay just what they have to and nothing more. I'm not saying it's right I'm just adult enough to understand reality something most of the pro side on here is incapable of. They are stuck on whats "right" or "fair" like a bunch of school children that's the stuff my kids complain about. My second and larger point is that I think the people on here complaining are in the vocal minority based on the evidence at hand. The majority of their fellow drivers seem to be satisfied or this whole movement would have been a whole lot bigger.

You are so far out in left field it's almost unbelievable. Nowhere does it say I think we should work for $10hr. I will type slow so you can follow. My point was, we have a job that pays a more than fair wage for the industry overall with insurance and benefits and a college education isn't required although we paid like we have one and it's still not enough for some folks.

No that's not what I said at all, I said there is no "should". You guys think that because of Fedex's standings both financial and market position they "should" pay the best, that's not how the real world works. They are going to pay just what they have to and nothing more. I'm not saying it's right I'm just adult enough to understand reality something most of the pro side on here is incapable of. They are stuck on whats "right" or "fair" like a bunch of school children that's the stuff my kids complain about. My second and larger point is that I think the people on here complaining are in the vocal minority based on the evidence at hand. The majority of their fellow drivers seem to be satisfied or this whole movement would have been a whole lot bigger.

John, you are right to an extent. The Company will ALWAYS try to minimize costs. We have to also realize that the workers, drivers in this case, should want to maximize their return (compensation). There are most certainly "other factors", such as working conditions, professional environment, etc. etc. that effect the total relationship.

Finding THAT balance is the whole reason we have this situation. As the pendulum has swung in one direction, Drivers are doing what they can to push the balance back in their favor. With the ongoing driver shortage, the competitive nature of our industry has increased the value of our service. That seems to require some organized effort, in order to capitalize on that added value, since the Company seem resistant to the changes, not to mention the negative changes of the recent past.

John, you are right to an extent. The Company will ALWAYS try to minimize costs. We have to also realize that the workers, drivers in this case, should want to maximize their return (compensation). There are most certainly "other factors", such as working conditions, professional environment, etc. etc. that effect the total relationship.

Finding THAT balance is the whole reason we have this situation. As the pendulum has swung in one direction, Drivers are doing what they can to push the balance back in their favor. With the ongoing driver shortage, the competitive nature of our industry has increased the value of our service. That seems to require some organized effort, in order to capitalize on that added value, since the Company seem resistant to the changes, not to mention the negative changes of the recent past.

I agree with your theory on its face, however based on what I see your in the minority. That makes me think that Fedex is about where the want to be. If they can't attract the quality of employee their looking for they will have to increase they're package.

Excellet point. In order to see if that makes any significant difference, we'll have to look at some numbers. Stay tuned, a 10min break doesn't provide enough time, with only a phone.

EDIT: I don't expect to see a visibility significant change, but we'll see...

New earnings out today..........6.5 OR.....

As I was looking at them and the info was handy, I took the 2nd quarter FXF stats and did the exercise.....

731 salaries + 112 intercompany costs ÷ 1547 revenue = 54.5%......

Don't know the exact numbers on you chart or their age, but it appears that figure shows a lot tighter "race" than previously represented.

EDIT: Granted, this most recent report encompasses the first results in which the pretty significant wage increase from October factored.

Be safe....

Last edited:
Also worth considering, John, when we talk about the Company keeping cost to an absolute minimum, there are costs associated with that constant reevaluation that must be ongoing. There is also the expectation of excellence that clearly exists. Customers, employees, the Company itself, all expexct a premium experience. The Purple Promise says every FedEx experience will be outstanding. Not just good enough. Outstanding.

Add to that the PSP philosophy, and we should be able to agree that the default position SHOULD be excellence in all areas. That SHOULD apply geographically, as well.

The right of the Company to split hairs can result in employees exercising their right, as well. Rights they may have never considered exercising otherwise.