FedEx Freight | Gardena CA on strike, walkout!

No, I saw it, what's that got do with anything? Are saying the police aren'tdoing their job, they are on the take?
I'm not saying it, Mike 3D said it, I was just bringing it to your attention in case you missed it.
Perhaps they are on the take, maybe that's why he deleted it...who knows, don't you union boys stick together??

All this discussion about unions and still no one has said why they went on"strike"...what was the reason they said "unfair work conditions"?
From what I'm gathering, they're trying to blame the company for them not having enough support to file a petition for an election....seems they just can't fathom why a majority doesn't want to join the thugsters!!
After Monday's "demonstration", I'd suspect they've lost even more support!!

I'm not saying it, Mike 3D said it, I was just bringing it to your attention in case you missed it.
Perhaps they are on the take, maybe that's why he deleted it...who knows, don't you union boys stick together??
NO, he said the cops were on their side. There is a big difference in being on their side and not doing their job, but you know that.

Nope, I was actually earning my paycheck unlike those 20 or so drivers that decided to keep their co-workers from earning their's!!
Did you read the article? Oh, wait....do you need someone to comprehend it for you??

Lol but you know exactly what went on from a news article that sounds like it came right out of the fed ex news room. If all this went down like the article claims why weren't people arrested or detained? Seems like a tall tail to me.

Lol but you know exactly what went on from a news article that sounds like it came right out of the fed ex news room. If all this went down like the article claims why weren't people arrested or detained? Seems like a tall tail to me.
You have no idea who I know and who I talk to...like I've told you before, the anti-union machine made up of FedEx Freight employees from across the country is a very large organization in itself, you'd be surprised at who I know and talk to!!
You do realize that there's cameras everywhere these days don't you??

You have no idea who I know and who I talk to...like I've told you before, the anti-union machine made up of FedEx Freight employees from across the country is a very large organization in itself, you'd be surprised at who I know and talk to!!
You do realize that there's cameras everywhere these days don't you??

Nor do i care answer my question then.

From what I'm gathering, they're trying to blame the company for them not having enough support to file a petition for an election....seems they just can't fathom why a majority doesn't want to join the thugsters!!

So they're throwing a hissy fit because Fedex played the game better than them?

Sounds typical these days, blame someone else for your short comings...

this is where you are sadly mistaken,They are striking because,but not limited too,fedex denying their right to organize.They are planning/willing to strike AGAIN during the busy holiday season,if fedex dont reconize the union.They must have enough yes voters in that yard to go union,but fedex aint having it..I know this info 1st hand,as a dues paying teamster in SO CAL.hence the handle SCALGRASSHOPPER

Don't get me wrong, I'm not denying that the company isn't at fault, I'm just questioning which company is at fault....my point is the only thing that has really changed is the name on the door. We are basically still AF IMO, let me explain....we use the same DOT number that was designated to AF...FedEx Freight's corporate HQ's is still in Harrison, AR, AF's old HQ's...when FedEx bought AF after they bought Viking, they remained separate (East, West) until they merged and Viking's CEO took over Freight for a short time until he retired, then another AF guy took the reigns....when those changes to insurance, other policies, etc...that you've cited in the past as reasons for our current situation were made, those changes were decisions that were made by AF guys....they bought Watkins, kept them separate and then merged them as well but AF guys were still in control....most of the decision makers within the company today are still old AF guys....most centers are still ran by old AF guys. Yes, FedEx has changed our business principals and I'm certain they've had a hand in guiding us in the direction that we're headed in today, but most of the changes/decisions that were made were made by old AF guys.

Times change, things change, people change...can we say for certain that if FedEx had not bought AF that we wouldn't still be in this same situation today, no, because I can remember back in the 90's, before FedEx came along, there were employees who were upset with how things were transpiring and some were pushing for the union then...even CLT in 96 if my memory serves me correctly.

I agree, FedEx isn't a bad company, but IMO it's still AF with FedEx on the door. The problem lies with those who were employed by Viking and Watkins that now work for FedEx Freight (AF) and they want things to go back to the way they had it...we must convince them that the FedEx Freight/AF way is better....and FedEx Freight (AF) must get back to how things were....or as close as we can possibly get.

You are correct Red, many of the same people (from the AF days) are still a big part of leadership, but the culture did change. After the purchase, it seems they were "encouraged" to conform to a culture (real or imagined) that valued efficiency above all else. Reward (and punishment) was solely based on the sacred number. Success was (and still is) measured by the ability to continually beat previous accomplishments.

Being VERY good at what they do (and to keep their job), these folks gave FDX ever increasing profits, for the most part, even through challenging economic conditions. Many of these efficiencies were well thought out. Slip seating tractors, higher load factors, keeping equip in service for longer times, for example, saved huge sums. Others, like pushing labor to higher levels of productivity, while reducing (or stagnating) compensation, came at a cost, over time. As these areas are pushed more, the term "diminishing returns" comes to mind.

Bottom line: Much easier and less costly to maintain a positive culture that to regain it once it is lost.

Last edited:
One more thing Red,

I would say, the case could be made that most of FedEx Freight problems over the past years COULD be due to their straying too far from the (AF) founding principals. Yes, conditions/environments change, but they don't have to effect the working relationship, and should NEVER effect your basic guiding principals, IMHO. Let's not forget that Sheridan wanted to create "a company in which there was no conflict between labor and management". Viking and Watkins were founded on very similar philosophy.

Over time, under FDX rule, the focus changed evolved from this:

The six original guiding principles:

1. Take care of our people.
2. Take care of our customers.
3. Honor our commitments.
4. Work hard, smart, and safely—and
work together.
5. Make the most of resources.
6. Have fun.

To this (IMHO)

1. Make the most of resources.
2.Work hard, smart.
3. Honor our commitments.
4.Take care of our customers
5.Take care of our people.

To a combination of this:

“Purple Promise” to make every FedEx experience outstanding.

And

1. People
2. Service
3. Profit

There remains an ongoing internal conflict (on the Freight side) between 1 (People) and 3 (Profit), often at the expense of 2 (Service).

this is where you are sadly mistaken,They are striking because,but not limited too,fedex denying their right to organize.They are planning/willing to strike AGAIN during the busy holiday season,if fedex dont reconize the union.They must have enough yes voters in that yard to go union,but fedex aint having it..I know this info 1st hand,as a dues paying teamster in SO CAL.hence the handle SCALGRASSHOPPER

Enlighten me, how is Fedex "denying their right to organize"? They don't need Fedex's permission to organize, the need 50% yes votes period. As far as Fedex recognizing the union, there is no union to recognize until there is a yes vote (then good luck). I don't care what your "handle" is, your mistaken.