Gary Cohn, WH chief economic adviser, announces resignation

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Rastus, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Rastus

Rastus ..What Goes Around Comes Around.. AD-FREE USER

Cohn, who served as President Trump’s chief economic adviser since the beginning of the administration, opposed Trump's planned tariffs on imports of steel and aluminum, first announced last week, and reportedly tried getting the president to change course. Hours before his resignation was announced, Trump set a “line in the sand” asking Cohn if he would support the tariffs -- and Cohn did not answer, a White House official and an outside adviser to the president told Fox News.
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...e-house-chief-economic-adviser-to-resign.html
    Good riddance to this guy. Goldman Sachs liberal can take Jared Kushner with him.

2. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook AD-FREE USER

Smoot-Hawley was put in by Hoover, a Progressive Republican, and caused the Depression that FDR made into The Great Depression.

We already have 12,000 tariffs now, and 74% of our steel is US Made. We don't need higher prices taking the place of high taxes.

albag likes this.
  3. Northern Flash

Northern Flash They will make you look foolish. AD-FREE USER

This Cohn guy acts like Trump's thinking on tariffs is all new news to him, which is b.s.
    Trump is lying and exaggerating when he uses national security as an excuse for these tariffs.
    And we only get about 2% of our steel from China, so that's b.s. also.
    What's better? One source for steel, or multiple sources? I say multiple, so these tariffs are a mistake in my opinion.

albag likes this.
  4. jimmy g

Reportedly, Trump has brought up doing this at least 8 times so far, and Cohn and most of the White House Staff have opposed it and talked Trump out of it. Cohn has supposedly been about to leave over several issues for some time. He's a rich Democrat, not Republican- I doubt he needs the money.

I mention Democrat, because normally, raising tariffs is a Dem or Progressive Repub thing, and not something a Conservative Repub would do. Bush raised a tariff, and he's progressive/RINO. It didn't work, and within 20 months he lowered it back so as to not get into a trade war.

Obama raised tariffs on rubber, and we all screamed bloody murder- because, tariffs are the domain of Congress, and not a President. Now, like I've said all along- Democrat Donald is Obama, mirror image, pendulum swinging the other way. I know Trump is using an obscure quirk of the law to claim it's Security/Exec Order Provision; but Article Two of the Constitution makes this the job of Congress, not POTUS. Congress sued Obama for overuse of his pen and phone. They need to Trump on this- but they won't. Both Obama and Trump admitted they weren't a king, but Obama DUD things Like a King or Tyrant, and now Trump is trying to do so in this one area...

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  5. jimmy g

If it was a Targeted Tariff against China only, and done by Congress, I'd be all for it. Not a blanket raising, done to all, by POTUS.

Rastus likes this.
  6. Bubba74

Bubba74 Well-Known Member

I like to think (knowing his accomplishments) that Trump is not an economic illiterate

American goods are tariffed in most places sold whether its a VAT or an import tax
    I like to believe that Trump is throwing this around to get us a better deal regarding the taxes on American good sold abroad

7. jimmy g

Hoover was a successful businessman too, then signed Smoot-Hawley. At least he went thru Congress.....

8. Bubba74

Bubba74 Well-Known Member

Oh yes
    Hoover was a very successful business man
    what he did had never been done before and it was a massive train wreck
    Trump hopefully has the brains to look at what was done see the folly and not do the same thing

jimmy g likes this.
  9. SuperCourse

SuperCourse Well-Known Member

Primary Aluminum Smelters in the US

Name Location Owner Status and Date
    Warrick Plant Evansville, Indiana Alcoa Closed
    Intalco Plant Ferndale, Washington Alcoa
    St. Laurence Plant Massena, New York Alcoa Closed
    Massena Plant Massena, New York Alcoa
    Mt Holly Plant Mount Holly, South Carolina Century Aluminum Operating, December 2014[2]
    Rockdale Plant Rockdale, Texas Alcoa Closed
    Wenatchee Plant Wenatchee, Washington Alcoa Closed
    Hawesville Plant Hawesville, Kentucky Century Aluminum
    Ravenswood Plant Ravenswood, West Virginia Century Aluminum Closed, July 2015[3]
    Sebree Plant Sebree, Kentucky Century Aluminum Operating, May 2015[4]
    Columbia Falls Plant Columbia Falls, Montana Glencore Closed in March 2015[5]
    Noranda Plant New Madrid, Missouri Noranda Idled, March 2016[6]
    Ormet Plant Hannibal, Ohio Ormet Closed, August 2014[7]
    Secondary production[edit]

The US has only one smelter left that makes high quality aluminum necessary for aircraft.

Rastus likes this.
  10. Rastus

Rastus ..What Goes Around Comes Around.. AD-FREE USER

That’s probably what it’ll wind up being or close to it.

jimmy g likes this.
  11. Northern Flash

Northern Flash They will make you look foolish. AD-FREE USER

If tariffs are so great, why don't we have tariffs on nearly every product coming in? (I know we have lots of other tariffs.) I have a feeling that these other nations will do the same thing back to our products, thus, a trade war will be in full swing. And we have a lot of products like produce heading in their direction, which they will tariff to punish us.