Yellow | Get Rid Of Sleepers

Team operations are far from antiquated, and in fact are more relevant today than they've probably ever been because two drivers can accomplish far more miles in less time.

You're not gonna get more Teamsters by abolishing sleeper teams. You're gonna get more Teamsters by convincing people being a Teamster is worth something.

And the notion that teams are comprised of homosexual men is horribly outdated and no better a view than saying the same about guys using bunkhouses. In fact, outside of the union, most teams consist of related people; fathers and sons, husbands and wives, brothers, etc. And if you're running right, you're not sharing a bed. One sleeps, one drives.

How do I know? I've been running team with my father for 5 years. We drive from Toronto to Vancouver and back, it's just over 4 days out, and I get a 3 day weekend every week. I'm not wanting for money and we bring a cooler full of food for the week. It's almost as good as home, though I'm still happy to get home every week. So trust me, it's not as bad as you think. Especially if you can manage to be friends with the person you're driving with.

That said, if you don't play well with others, running team is not for you.

Until YRC rids its operation of sleepers, its struggle to attract and keep drivers will continue. Friends and family have left YRC for ABF and non-union scab companies to just get the hell out of running sleepers. Even if they returned the 15% and pension contribution, todays new crop of drivers are NOT willing to spend their days in a truck with another guy...:17113:...this is NOT the 50's anymore YRC!! In todays economy they can sell the job by promoting the "healthcare plan" with the ability to be home every day or every other day while running SOLO..
i would think if they were pressured to rid themselves of company sleeper teams, you would see a huge increase in the use of PTS.

Team operations are far from antiquated, and in fact are more relevant today than they've probably ever been because two drivers can accomplish far more miles in less time.

You're not gonna get more Teamsters by abolishing sleeper teams. You're gonna get more Teamsters by convincing people being a Teamster is worth something.

And the notion that teams are comprised of homosexual men is horribly outdated and no better a view than saying the same about guys using bunkhouses. In fact, outside of the union, most teams consist of related people; fathers and sons, husbands and wives, brothers, etc. And if you're running right, you're not sharing a bed. One sleeps, one drives.

How do I know? I've been running team with my father for 5 years. We drive from Toronto to Vancouver and back, it's just over 4 days out, and I get a 3 day weekend every week. I'm not wanting for money and we bring a cooler full of food for the week. It's almost as good as home, though I'm still happy to get home every week. So trust me, it's not as bad as you think. Especially if you can manage to be friends with the person you're driving with.

That said, if you don't play well with others, running team is not for you.
Being a teamster is worth something,pride respect and power in numbers.We have something you don't They listen
Spending days in a truck with another guy? You haven't lived till you've done a layover at some terminal with dormitory style bunk rooms and shared a bunk room with another driver, especially if he smoked!
good thing there are no more bunk houses

Being a teamster is worth something,pride respect and power in numbers.We have something you don't They listen
Do they? Because the last time I checked, the union itself is the single biggest problem union members have. The company asks you to bend over, the union leadership tells you that you really should. And if you believe the company respects you for being a Teamster, you haven't been paying attention.

The company only listens when they have no choice, and the union itself doesn't listen to the members on any scale larger than the local level. You might have pride, but the way most outsiders see it, that's not a benefit to them and it's not going to make them want to join the union.

And where's this power in numbers thing you mentioned? The Freight Division of the Teamsters union is the smallest share of the union today, and it's getting smaller every year.

Unless the union has a viable benefit to convince someone NOT ALREADY IN IT to join, nobody is gonna want to. Win yourselves a victory and people will pay attention.

Do they? Because the last time I checked, the union itself is the single biggest problem union members have. The company asks you to bend over, the union leadership tells you that you really should. And if you believe the company respects you for being a Teamster, you haven't been paying attention.

The company only listens when they have no choice, and the union itself doesn't listen to the members on any scale larger than the local level. You might have pride, but the way most outsiders see it, that's not a benefit to them and it's not going to make them want to join the union.

And where's this power in numbers thing you mentioned? The Freight Division of the Teamsters union is the smallest share of the union today, and it's getting smaller every year.

Unless the union has a viable benefit to convince someone NOT ALREADY IN IT to join, nobody is gonna want to. Win yourselves a victory and people will pay attention.
I quess you talk from experience Huh. I've been a card Card carrying union member for 36 years,And you say you know us .your not even from this country.So much for your credibility.We have our problems.We and our members will clean our own house.

The Apple cider your drinking must be hard.

Oh ! and 1 one more thing the only people who bend over are the ones with no balls.

I quess you talk from experience Huh. I've been a card Card carrying union member for 36 years,And you say you know us .your not even from this country.So much for your credibility.We have our problems.We and our members will clean our own house.
You act like the INTERNATIONAL Brotherhood of Teamsters is an exclusively American union, when it is not. So the fact that I'm Canadian is completely irrelevant to the discussion and should have no bearing whatsoever on my credibility. I have friends who are in your union here in Canada, and they aren't doing the Canadians any favors either.

I'm quite familiar with the Teamsters, and many of your brothers on this very forum agree that your leadership is your biggest problem. And most of the bitching I hear from Teamsters is generally about what assholes the management are, which tells me there's no such thing as respect from anyone but your brothers. And from what some here have had to say, even that's questionable.

If you're going to argue with me or disagree with me, try doing it without making yourself out like a fool. From what I can tell (and this is your third time doing it) you only disagree with what I say because I'm not American and not a Teamster. Neither of those things are relevant in the face of commonly available facts. Do not try to push me out of the conversation just because you don't think I belong here, because I will not leave and I am free to post where and when I like.

You think because I'm not from your country, I don't understand anything? I know most of what I know about the Teamsters from reading the discussions here, so if my logic is flawed, blame your brothers for the load of bad information I've apparently got.

Focus on solving your leadership problems, and maybe guys like me would want to join your union. Right now, all I see are reports of corruption, poor leadership and a crumbling pension dream. A healthcare plan and respect I'd spend 2/3 of my driving career earning among my peers isn't enough to convince me I need a union at a time where I can pick up the phone and have the job of my choice within a week.

You act like the INTERNATIONAL Brotherhood of Teamsters is an exclusively American union, when it is not. So the fact that I'm Canadian is completely irrelevant to the discussion and should have no bearing whatsoever on my credibility. I have friends who are in your union here in Canada, and they aren't doing the Canadians any favors either.

I'm quite familiar with the Teamsters, and many of your brothers on this very forum agree that your leadership is your biggest problem. And most of the bitching I hear from Teamsters is generally about what assholes the management are, which tells me there's no such thing as respect from anyone but your brothers. And from what some here have had to say, even that's questionable.

If you're going to argue with me or disagree with me, try doing it without making yourself out like a fool. From what I can tell (and this is your third time doing it) you only disagree with what I say because I'm not American and not a Teamster. Neither of those things are relevant in the face of commonly available facts. Do not try to push me out of the conversation just because you don't think I belong here, because I will not leave and I am free to post where and when I like.

You think because I'm not from your country, I don't understand anything? I know most of what I know about the Teamsters from reading the discussions here, so if my logic is flawed, blame your brothers for the load of bad information I've apparently got.

Focus on solving your leadership problems, and maybe guys like me would want to join your union. Right now, all I see are reports of corruption, poor leadership and a crumbling pension dream. A healthcare plan and respect I'd spend 2/3 of my driving career earning among my peers isn't enough to convince me I need a union at a time where I can pick up the phone and have the job of my choice within a week.
Nobody's trying to convince you of anything,You of anything you've made up your mind that were not for you ,great no one asked you on this forum to sign a card or for your opinion.We will fix our own problems.You can reserve your bantering for the non union opinion drivers forum I am sure you'll fit right in there Eh!:bat:

Nobody's trying to convince you of anything,You of anything you've made up your mind that were not for you ,great no one asked you on this forum to sign a card or for your opinion.We will fix our own problems.You can reserve your bantering for the non union opinion drivers forum I am sure you'll fit right in there Eh!:bat:
Actually, my mind is far from made up. I'm not anti-union just because I don't have a union job and wouldn't go out of my way to get one. I've said on several occasions that I wouldn't turn down a union job if I happened across one, and I don't believe in RTW legislation because you shouldn't be allowed to be an employee of a unionized company and not be a dues-paying union member. It's disrespectful.

I hope you do fix your problems, because nobody else can. The Teamsters could be an important presence in the industry, even a necessary one, in the coming years. All I'm saying is that you won't get new Teamsters without giving them a reason to join, and fixing the problems the union is facing right now is definitely a step in the right direction.

And nobody needs to ask for my opinion, just like nobody needs to ask for yours. I give my opinion for free, eh.

Actually, my mind is far from made up. I'm not anti-union just because I don't have a union job and wouldn't go out of my way to get one. I've said on several occasions that I wouldn't turn down a union job if I happened across one, and I don't believe in RTW legislation because you shouldn't be allowed to be an employee of a unionized company and not be a dues-paying union member. It's disrespectful.

I hope you do fix your problems, because nobody else can. The Teamsters could be an important presence in the industry, even a necessary one, in the coming years. All I'm saying is that you won't get new Teamsters without giving them a reason to join, and fixing the problems the union is facing right now is definitely a step in the right direction.

And nobody needs to ask for my opinion, just like nobody needs to ask for yours. I give my opinion for free, eh.
Well eh! Your on a yrc forum,and you don't work for Reimer,I happen to work here and my options are expressed as a employee ,and union member.You are welcome to chime in ,like everyone else ,but be respectful as we do not necessary like our concessions,but some times you sacrafice the few to save the many,like I said,our problems our ours were not trying to convince you of anything.,Oh and what ,No playoff hockey north of the border this year,Too bad.:17::burnsauce::hissyfit:Keep on Trucking!

Well eh! Your on a yrc forum,and you don't work for Reimer,I happen to work here and my options are expressed as a employee ,and union member.You are welcome to chime in ,like everyone else ,but be respectful as we do not necessary like our concessions,but some times you sacrafice the few to save the many,like I said,our problems our ours were not trying to convince you of anything.,Oh and what ,No playoff hockey north of the border this year,Too bad.:17::burnsauce::hissyfit:Keep on Trucking!
The Toronto Maple Leafs haven't made the playoffs in forever, and I don't really care about the rest. Hockey ain't my sport.