Yellow | Get Rid Of Sleepers

Bob, Big R was a wheel extra board. Until the merger, that was a big reason I went to Roadway.
The company should tell the union they are putting in a wheel board Al, but boy would that stir up a storm. Hard to get people to stay when they get lots of miles with their trainers seniority, then find out on their own, they get no work

Chicago heights operates a hog board for the extra board. That translates into the new guy getting 2 days of work at best, while senior men keep coming and going ahead of him. Everyone says they are for the new guy, but no one wants a wheel board. oh well

Hog board encourages dashers who don't stop to eat or pee and those who don't write up equipment because they have to run up to dispatch and hit the clock as soon as the truck rolls to a stop.

In addition, contract always had provisions for cutting a road seniority board whenever the average pay dropped below a certain level. That protects guys on a wheel board especially.

The company should tell the union they are putting in a wheel board Al, but boy would that stir up a storm. Hard to get people to stay when they get lots of miles with their trainers seniority, then find out on their own, they get no work
Hog board encourages dashers who don't stop to eat or pee and those who don't write up equipment because they have to run up to dispatch and hit the clock as soon as the truck rolls to a stop.

In addition, contract always had provisions for cutting a road seniority board whenever the average pay dropped below a certain level. That protects guys on a wheel board especially.
I would never had stayed if 309 had a hog board. The first in/first out wheel for extra board lets every extra driver earn a decent living until they have gained seniority.

Slip seat operation, LA to Chicago or LA to Dallas, with Time Critical and now Accelerated Freight.

Talk about staying in the 'dark ages!'

Establishing and maintaining relay points on existing routes, would cost the company more in the long run, and slow transit times.

It would reduce profits and thereby, our strength at the bargaining table in 2019.

I agree that 'sleeper teams' are a challenge, but they are necessary in today's transportation industry.

There are some that bid sleeper by choice and make good money.

Agree, the relays was one of the drains on CF back in the day. They maintained relays and ran teams over the top.

All this hog board/wheel board talk all of a sudden, sounds like a bunch of retired guys might have to return to a hog system they created years ago and don't want to work in this hog board system that was created. So ironic the Republican party is dealing with with similar issues with the Delegate voting/ voters. I didn't like the hog board system when I hires on and voiced my opinion about. I decided to stay and put in my time to exercise my seniority, and that was a struggle, when COO allowed guys to transfer in with more seniority and push us back down the board. COO said they were following their work, but we were laid off. I'm all for making a better system, but my time here I've just realized the division in this union members and that's how the company and the union officals are winning.

Can someone school me on this issue. I was just contacted by YRC for a job. I though it was line haul but was told it was team hauls. And I've rarely seen YRC sleeper trucks. Are they double or single bunk sleepers? What is starting pay. I was employed by roadway back in '05 as a local guy. But laid off as work slowed in fall of '06

Can someone school me on this issue. I was just contacted by YRC for a job. I though it was line haul but was told it was team hauls. And I've rarely seen YRC sleeper trucks. Are they double or single bunk sleepers? What is starting pay. I was employed by roadway back in '05 as a local guy. But laid off as work slowed in fall of '06

QPsAlie.jpg

Until YRC rids its operation of sleepers, its struggle to attract and keep drivers will continue. Friends and family have left YRC for ABF and non-union scab companies to just get the hell out of running sleepers. Even if they returned the 15% and pension contribution, todays new crop of drivers are NOT willing to spend their days in a truck with another guy...:17113:...this is NOT the 50's anymore YRC!! In todays economy they can sell the job by promoting the "healthcare plan" with the ability to be home every day or every other day while running SOLO..
At least having the sleepers still provides jobs for these guys... if you really want to complain about something complain about these shiny wheels purchased transportation non union people that takes jobs away from our drivers

The bunks are single. I'm told that the current Cascadia Freightliners ride better that the Roadway Volvos did. You don't say what terminal you would be domiciled at. That would determine whether or not you would be exclusively operating on teams.

Local YRC terminal lost 2 more road drivers with 16 plus yrs of service each. Both drivers were fed up with sleepers and unwilling to invest another 1000yrs to have enough seniority to run solo bids...smh They've been replaced with 2 recent YRC trucking driving school graduates..:tr10driving03:

Last edited: