FedEx Freight | Ghost Braking

Wow you just have to argue don't you? I'm with Red because I've had things like this and I've had mechanics both where I work and at dealerships tell me next time it does it don't shut it off just get it here so we can check it. Believe it or not there are things that act up but don't store a code in the history, my truck was doing it with the intake valve actuators. When you've been more than a steering wheel holder you'll understand.

Sorry im not trying to argue just pointing out your all's scenario doesn't exist. I have been more than steering wheel holder thats why i responded.

Sorry im not trying to argue just pointing out your all's scenario doesn't exist. I have been more than steering wheel holder thats why i responded.
My scenario most certainly does exist, happens with equipment all the time. We right now this very day have a D7E that has the engine making a knocking sound and an engine code that goes away when the engine is shut off. It is unpredictable in its occurrence but it's always done it when we can't get a mechanic to it so we haven't figured it out yet. So these occurrences do happen and I asked every mechanic we have in the shop this morning and every one said they would have wanted to look at the truck while it was running. So yes that mechanic missed a great opportunity.

You and that driver should educate yourselves on how diagnostics work on vehicles before you try and throw a professional under the bus, for something you all clearly don't understand or don't know about.
Your response proves you are just a idiot. This is happening to 30-40 year veteran drivers not just someone who got there CDL from a Cracker Jack box. So it's you who is the ignorant one. All you do is try and do is discredit Red!!! Sure was a lot nicer around here when you were on your timeout.

Your response proves you are just a idiot. This is happening to 30-40 year veteran drivers not just someone who got there CDL from a Cracker Jack box. So it's you who is the ignorant one. All you do is try and do is discredit Red!!! Sure was a lot nicer around here when you were on your timeout.

Maybe you should go back and read my post again. I never said it wasn't happening hell its happened to me. His theory that the mechanics can plug a computer into it and determine why it happens is stupidity at its finest. This subject is obviously over your head also so move along road-dog.

Maybe you should go back and read my post again. I never said it wasn't happening hell its happened to me. His theory that the mechanics can plug a computer into it and determine why it happens is stupidity at its finest. This subject is obviously over your head also so move along road-dog.
Well it's not over my head and our original point stands, they should have taken the opportunity to look at it while it was active.

Well it's not over my head and our original point stands, they should have taken the opportunity to look at it while it was active.
Just curious, how might the mechanics catch the problem, while active? I'm thinking our 2 minute idle will force shutdown, before any mechanic can grab his diagnostic device. Is keeping the key in the on position enough to allow data capture?

Just curious, how might the mechanics catch the problem, while active? I'm thinking our 2 minute idle will force shutdown, before any mechanic can grab his diagnostic device. Is keeping the key in the on position enough to allow data capture?
The driver could easily set there and bump the throttle took keep the engine running. I understand that any fault is "supposed" to be stored but I couldn't tell you how many times I've heard "it's not supposed to do that". Here's what I do know for sure from reading in here and talking to your drivers in person, something is happening to cause this problem, but when the shop or dealer goes to check it out there's no evidence of the problem. Anyone who has done this has had this situation.

Remember, you're responding to someone who's at a center that used a "yard vendor" as a mechanic for many years...(which was probably before his time there)..and "yard vendors" usually aren't allowed access to our ECM's. They recently got company "yard" mechanics and they're currently finishing up a new shop for them to work out of. I've met a few of their company mechanics and they seemed to be good, knowledgeable guys but CT's experience of dealing with company mechanics is in its infancy at best, which judging by his comments, speaks for itself.

Last edited:
Expanding on JD's comment, once a laptop is connected it's a simple process to enable idling so the driver doesn't have to tap the throttle every two minutes in order for the mechanic to properly diagnose an issue.

My original point is that we already know "ghost braking" doesn't leave a trace of even existing once the engine powers down, so attempting to find evidence while "ghost braking" is active is better than the status quo of doing nothing at all. Is it possible to find evidence if the engine shuts down while the key is still in the on position...guess we won't know the answer to that question either until someone actually tries it!!

A missed opportunity IMO.

Expanding on JD's comment, once a laptop is connected it's a simple process to enable idling so the driver doesn't have to tap the throttle every two minutes in order for the mechanic to properly diagnose an issue.

My original point is that we already know "ghost braking" doesn't leave a trace of even existing once the engine powers down, so attempting to find evidence while "ghost braking" is active is better than the status quo of doing nothing at all. Is it possible to find evidence if the engine shuts down while the key is still in the on position...guess we won't know the answer to that question either until someone actually tries it!!

A missed opportunity IMO.
I think I get the idea... We do know that the Company is aware that a problem exists, despite assurance from the vendor to the contrary. Proof has come from the on-board camera events being triggered for no visible reason.

Now, it seems to me, a simple process/guideline/directive is in order, as far as what to do after such an event. The key left in the on position "should" maintain the active status. Either way, mechanics must be directed to stop what they are doing and investigate to the extent possible, if it is to have a high priority. Most mechanics are not sitting around, just waiting for a driver to summon them for immediate (urgent) attention, within the 2 minute window. If troubleshooting this is a true priority, then steps must be taken within fleet maintenance to elevate it to a priority status. Informing drivers of what to do "in case of", should be part of any directive. These shouldn't be questions we have to guess the answers to.

Remember, you're responding to someone who's at a center that used a "yard vendor" as a mechanic for many years...(which was probably before his time there)..and "yard vendors" usually aren't allowed access to our ECM's. They recently got company "yard" mechanics and they're currently finishing up a new shop for them to work out of. I've met a few of their company mechanics and they seemed to be good, knowledgeable guys but CT's experience of dealing with company mechanics is in its infancy at best, which judging by his comments, speaks for itself.

Wrong once again we have had mechanics for at least 2 years and our shop has been done for months.( maybe you should get your info from people who show up to work everyday). I will stand by my statement you don't know what your talking about its clear. If you were right and your scenario does exist, and they could get some info like you said, don't you think they would have already tried it?

Wrong once again we have had mechanics for at least 2 years and our shop has been done for months.( maybe you should get your info from people who show up to work everyday). I will stand by my statement you don't know what your talking about its clear. If you were right and your scenario does exist, and they could get some info like you said, don't you think they would have already tried it?
Ok let's try this s different way, we all acknowledge there's a problem right? But yet they can't find it after the driver has it happen and once the truck has been shut off right? So wouldn't it stand to reason that there is a problem that the system isn't keeping a record of? So if you had a truck actively doing it that MIGHT be an opportunity to learn something wouldn't it? I'm not commenting on your shop status or mechanics I'm just talking about the truck problem brought up by the OP. I will bet if someone had called a dealer they would have liked to check that truck out while it's active. You are just arguing because it's me and Red.

Not arguing with anyone, just pointing out the obvious that 2 truck drivers who think they know more than any mechanic that has looked at these trucks for this issue, but they clearly do not know what they are talking about.

Just my 2 cents here and no I don't work for FedX why doesn't they company look at what has been added or changed in the trucks spec's before and after the problem started. What systems have been added or deleted possibly overlooked when they ordered the new trucks. If this problem is bad enough that it triggers the camera it has to show up some where in one of the ecu's which there are several on trucks now. It may not show up as a "active" code after key off but should be a stored fault code that could take a little digging with the laptop to find. Our trucks don't have all the things you guy's have (thank god) so just my thought is there are too many systems trying to interface with each other and then you have the wireless handheld's and e-log's etc thrown in that the computers are overthinking the "supposed" problem, Like we used to say back in my army days use the" kiss" method. "nuff said everybody stay safe and catch ya on the backhaul

Not arguing with anyone, just pointing out the obvious that 2 truck drivers who think they know more than any mechanic that has looked at these trucks for this issue, but they clearly do not know what they are talking about.
No bud your the one who doesn't know what he's talking about. First I'm more than just a truck driver, I worked 50 hours this week and drove about 200 miles the rest of the time I was in the shop turning wrenches. I regularly use the laptop hooked up to trucks to figure out problems I do understand what's going on and the challenges that these modern systems present. I laid out a pretty good argument to you but you just want to act like your usual childish self so I'm done with you.

I think I get the idea... We do know that the Company is aware that a problem exists, despite assurance from the vendor to the contrary. Proof has come from the on-board camera events being triggered for no visible reason.

Now, it seems to me, a simple process/guideline/directive is in order, as far as what to do after such an event. The key left in the on position "should" maintain the active status. Either way, mechanics must be directed to stop what they are doing and investigate to the extent possible, if it is to have a high priority. Most mechanics are not sitting around, just waiting for a driver to summon them for immediate (urgent) attention, within the 2 minute window. If troubleshooting this is a true priority, then steps must be taken within fleet maintenance to elevate it to a priority status. Informing drivers of what to do "in case of", should be part of any directive. These shouldn't be questions we have to guess the answers to.
I agree for the most part but we don't expect mechanics to "sit around, waiting to be summonsed by the driver." If we return from our tour with a simple repair such as a light or mirror, they generally stop what they're doing to make the repair although it's not "urgent" instead of deadlining the truck until they have the time available. In the case of ghost braking, the same principal should apply since it's also known that ghost braking doesn't flag any codes once the engine is powered down. We had a driver who made it to the yard with ghost braking active, while driving around the yard, and the decision was made to do nothing!!

I guess the real frustration stems from there being an obvious issue that the mfg's have denied, and the company has as well until the incidents were caught with the forward facing cameras...and another positive for the cameras I might add.

Just my 2 cents here and no I don't work for FedX why doesn't they company look at what has been added or changed in the trucks spec's before and after the problem started. What systems have been added or deleted possibly overlooked when they ordered the new trucks. If this problem is bad enough that it triggers the camera it has to show up some where in one of the ecu's which there are several on trucks now. It may not show up as a "active" code after key off but should be a stored fault code that could take a little digging with the laptop to find. Our trucks don't have all the things you guy's have (thank god) so just my thought is there are too many systems trying to interface with each other and then you have the wireless handheld's and e-log's etc thrown in that the computers are overthinking the "supposed" problem, Like we used to say back in my army days use the" kiss" method. "nuff said everybody stay safe and catch ya on the backhaul

You bring up a good point i drive a 15 KW that has done it to me twice since they put in elds and cameras, but before that it never had issues.

No bud your the one who doesn't know what he's talking about. First I'm more than just a truck driver, I worked 50 hours this week and drove about 200 miles the rest of the time I was in the shop turning wrenches. I regularly use the laptop hooked up to trucks to figure out problems I do understand what's going on and the challenges that these modern systems present. I laid out a pretty good argument to you but you just want to act like your usual childish self so I'm done with you.

No you didn't not going back and forth with you it will be my last response to you on this subject. You and Red didn't find the holy grail and don't know more than our award winning mechanics.