FedEx Freight | Ghost Braking

No you didn't not going back and forth with you it will be my last response to you on this subject. You and Red didn't find the holy grail and don't know more than our award winning mechanics.
No I didn't what? Work in the shop? Ok what was I doing on that creeper or with thay wrench in my hand? Wow! Who said this mechanic is award winning? I worked with you mechanics and of the ones I met I've seen better. I for one never said I found the holy grail, I said they missed an opportunity to gather more information.

No you didn't not going back and forth with you it will be my last response to you on this subject. You and Red didn't find the holy grail and don't know more than our award winning mechanics.
I never claimed to find anything...actually it's quite the contrary, we still know as much today as we did a week or so ago which is nothing and that's the point...the mechanic's opportunity to attempt to find something was missed!!

As for our award winning shop/mechanics, yes, we have Top Wrench contestants/winners, as well as several "Master Mechanics" at our shop and not only have they won multiple awards individually and collectively, we have one of, if not the largest shop in the system (per employees) with almost 40 mechanics!! But this still doesn't negate the fact that an opportunity was missed.
You bring up a good point i drive a 15 KW that has done it to me twice since they put in elds and cameras, but before that it never had issues.
We've been having the ghost braking issue for almost two years now and we don't have the ELD/cameras...yet. It has nothing to do with the ELD/camera but rather the collision mitigation system...the "eye" on the bumper is sensing a rear end collision and the ECM is applying the brakes when there's clearly nothing in front of the tractor (as depicted by the cameras for those who have them), thus the term "ghost braking" is used.

I never claimed to find anything...actually it's quite the contrary, we still know as much today as we did a week or so ago which is nothing and that's the point...the mechanic's opportunity to attempt to find something was missed!!

As for our award winning shop/mechanics, yes, we have Top Wrench contestants/winners, as well as several "Master Mechanics" at our shop and not only have they won multiple awards individually and collectively, we have one of, if not the largest shop in the system (per employees) with almost 40 mechanics!! But this still doesn't negate the fact that an opportunity was missed.

We've been having the ghost braking issue for almost two years now and we don't have the ELD/cameras...yet. It has nothing to do with the ELD/camera but rather the collision mitigation system...the "eye" on the bumper is sensing a rear end collision and the ECM is applying the brakes when there's clearly nothing in front of the tractor (as depicted by the cameras for those who have them), thus the term "ghost braking" is used.

There wasn't an opportunity missed if there is nothing to look at. Im not negating what your saying about the ghost braking issue, just telling my own personal experiences with the problem, and the issue on the truck i drive never happened before they put the elds and cameras in whether that is just a coincidence who knows but from my experiences it's not.

There wasn't an opportunity missed if there is nothing to look at. Im not negating what your saying about the ghost braking issue, just telling my own personal experiences with the problem, and the issue on the truck i drive never happened before they put the elds and cameras in whether that is just a coincidence who knows but from my experiences it's not.
Again, that's the point!! How do you know there was nothing to look at?? Have the mechanics at your center connected a laptop to a truck while the ghost braking was active??

Again, that's the point!! How do you know there was nothing to look at?? Have the mechanics at your center connected a laptop to a truck while the ghost braking was active??

Have no clue, but do you honestly think that its not been tried before system wide? Its probably the reason the mchanic at your center didn't waste his time. JMO

Have no clue, but do you honestly think that its not been tried before system wide? Its probably the reason the mchanic at your center didn't waste his time. JMO
I'm going to say you're probably wrong...if it had been tried system wide, don't you think there would've been a memo sent to every shop saying so...and since our shop hasn't received such a memo, does that mean we shouldn't try to find a fix when the mfg's are saying there's nothing wrong??

I'm going to say you're probably wrong...if it had been tried system wide, don't you think there would've been a memo sent to every shop saying so...and since our shop hasn't received such a memo, does that mean we shouldn't try to find a fix when the mfg's are saying there's nothing wrong??
:regretful:

How do you know that an email or memo hasn't been sent? How do you even know that if it was a plausible idea your own mchanics haven't tried it? Im sorry we don't work for a mickey mouse operation who can't fix problems if your idea was a good one to try and fix the problem then it would have been attempted by now.

How do you know that an email or memo hasn't been sent? How do you even know that if it was a plausible idea your own mchanics haven't tried it? Im sorry we don't work for a mickey mouse operation who can't fix problems if your idea was a good one to try and fix the problem then it would have been attempted by now.
I'd say that's a long shot. I don't think this ghost breaking happens in the yard where the speed limit is 10mph. And from what I'm hearing everyone knows to turn off the tractor to reset the system, so drivers aren't leaving it running when it happens on the street.

Ok CT your correct the driver in question should have just parked the truck and not said anything. That way the driver that drives it on the PM can have the same issue. Possibly causing a fatal accident. Move on!!!

How do I know?? After a 22 year relationship with our shop techs/shop management, if it had been tried by our shop or if a memo been presented, we would know about it!!

Ok CT your correct the driver in question should have just parked the truck and not said anything. That way the driver that drives it on the PM can have the same issue. Possibly causing a fatal accident. Move on!!!

Your kind of testy lately whats wrong not adjusting well to midnights? Where did i ever say the driver shouldn't have reported the incident?

Your kind of testy lately whats wrong not adjusting well to midnights? Where did i ever say the driver shouldn't have reported the incident?
If it's any of your business they are really nice!! Don't be a hater. Like I said in a previous post if Red and JD wouldn't have commented on this subject you would have never replied. Just set on the bench and watch like a good lad.

If it's any of your business they are really nice!! Don't be a hater. Like I said in a previous post if Red and JD wouldn't have commented on this subject you would have never replied. Just set on the bench and watch like a good lad.

Your right if red wouldn't have made a stupid remark then i wouldn't have responded. Not what i hear sounds to me like your having a tuff time. Good luck and be safe.

You are probably right, since this is not a brand new issue.

One would think that checking while still active and running (or at least key still on) has been tried. But, it could also be one of those things where anyone "could" have done it, and somebody "should" have done it, but nobody actually did do it.

While it is likely that this has been tried, I don't think any of us knows for sure. A simple call to Fleet Maint. might answer that question.

You are probably right, since this is not a brand new issue.

One would think that checking while still active and running (or at least key still on) has been tried. But, it could also be one of those things where anyone "could" have done it, and somebody "should" have done it, but nobody actually did do it.

While it is likely that this has been tried, I don't think any of us knows for sure. A simple call to Fleet Maint. might answer that question.
There's also another way of looking it, different mechanics regardless of their "award winning status" have different skills and tricks with this stuff. An example at work we have a LOT of Cat equipment and all our trucks have Cat engines. We have the cat diagnostic program called Cat ET, we hired a mechanic a couple years ago that came from a cat dealer, he showed us things that ET would do that we had no idea it would do, it made a huge difference in diagnosis of problems. Think about that scenario, he could find problems that our mechanics couldn't previously find. So I would think every opportunity to look into it should be taken regardless of what everyone else may have done. Me being a curious sort would have loved to have the chance to look at it while it was active since it's appears to be a rare opportunity. Maybe you should call fleet maintenance and run the scenario past them.