FedEx Freight | Ghost Braking

You are probably right, since this is not a brand new issue.

One would think that checking while still active and running (or at least key still on) has been tried. But, it could also be one of those things where anyone "could" have done it, and somebody "should" have done it, but nobody actually did do it.

While it is likely that this has been tried, I don't think any of us knows for sure. A simple call to Fleet Maint. might answer that question.
Just curious of why you took the time to make this post??
First, you claim that "it's probably/you think/likely been tried" because it's not a "brand new issue", then secondly you admit that "you don't know for sure."
(BTW, I noticed you played both sides of the fence in your 2nd paragraph)

Now, I'll disagree with your theory because as we all know, when a ghost braking event takes place you have to pull over/stop, shut the truck off, and remove the key from the ignition in order to reset the ECM so we can continue on with our tour safely. In the almost two years that we've been experiencing this issue in CLT, this is the FIRST time that a driver actually made it to the yard with the issue still active!! (In this case, the truck continued to ghost brake while driving around the yard!!) In every case beforehand, the driver had already reset the ECM in order to make it back safely which resulted in no active code being present when checked once they had made it back.

To assume that "it's probably/you think/likely been tried" because it's not a "brand new issue" is asinine...unless you can produce concrete evidence to show otherwise.

I tend to relate this issue with Michelin's 1st gen "energy tires" from several years back...everyone denied there was an issue with those tires until lives started being lost, then they released a 2nd gen "energy tire" while continuing to claim that there wasn't an issue with the 1st gen!!

You are probably right, since this is not a brand new issue.

One would think that checking while still active and running (or at least key still on) has been tried. But, it could also be one of those things where anyone "could" have done it, and somebody "should" have done it, but nobody actually did do it.

While it is likely that this has been tried, I don't think any of us knows for sure. A simple call to Fleet Maint. might answer that question.

Agreed a simple phone call would have been better than coming on a public forum trying to discredit our mchanics.

Just curious of why you took the time to make this post??
First, you claim that "it's probably/you think/likely been tried" because it's not a "brand new issue", then secondly you admit that "you don't know for sure."
(BTW, I noticed you played both sides of the fence in your 2nd paragraph)

Now, I'll disagree with your theory because as we all know, when a ghost braking event takes place you have to pull over/stop, shut the truck off, and remove the key from the ignition in order to reset the ECM so we can continue on with our tour safely. In the almost two years that we've been experiencing this issue in CLT, this is the FIRST time that a driver actually made it to the yard with the issue still active!! (In this case, the truck continued to ghost brake while driving around the yard!!) In every case beforehand, the driver had already reset the ECM in order to make it back safely which resulted in no active code being present when checked once they had made it back.

To assume that "it's probably/you think/likely been tried" because it's not a "brand new issue" is asinine...unless you can produce concrete evidence to show otherwise.

I tend to relate this issue with Michelin's 1st gen "energy tires" from several years back...everyone denied there was an issue with those tires until lives started being lost, then they released a 2nd gen "energy tire" while continuing to claim that there wasn't an issue with the 1st gen!!

Nobody has ever told us to stop and turn the truck off when this issue occurred, regardless that does not reset the computer.

Nobody has ever told us to stop and turn the truck off when this issue occurred, regardless that does not reset the computer.
Just because nobody has told "you" doesn't mean it's not what you're supposed to do...and I thought everybody knew that shutting down the truck and removing the key for 5 secs resets the ECM...just shows your inexperienced in driving as this process works for every vehicle...although some require you to also open the drivers door!!

Just because nobody has told "you" doesn't mean it's not what you're supposed to do...and I thought everybody knew that shutting down the truck and removing the key for 5 secs resets the ECM...just shows your inexperienced in driving as this process works for every vehicle...although some require you to also open the drivers door!!

Lmao this is what im talking about you don't even know how to reset a computer and your trying to say you do. Get educated on how they work and get back to me.

Lmao this is what im talking about you don't even know how to reset a computer and your trying to say you do. Get educated on how they work and get back to me.
Please, educate the class on how we're "supposed" to reset the ECM!!!

Perhaps you should take the time to read the owners manual or talk to one of our award winning mechanics before you respond!!

Please, educate the class on how we're "supposed" to reset the ECM!!!

Perhaps you should take the time to read the owners manual or talk to one of our award winning mechanics before you respond!!

Have you ever worked on a car in your life serious question? I doubt you could change your own oil. :lmao:

Have you ever worked on a car in your life serious question? I doubt you could change your own oil. :lmao:
Well I have plus worked on, diagnosed, and changed ECM's. And cycling the key does reset the ECM on may things. He ECM's that control the transmission in our loaders will glitch and you can't move, you shut it off and restart and it's fine. Please enlighten us why does the ghost braking problem go away when the key is cycled? As usual you have managed to completely derail an interesting thread with your nonsense.

Have you ever worked a car in your life serious question? I doubt you could change your own oil. :lmao:
You're an idiot!!! We're not talking wiping the ECM clean, were talking resetting the ECM...try the key trick the next time you get a check engine light in your KW...it works!!

I've got to go take a ::shit::...that'll be more productive than debating with you and at least I'll get something out of it!!

You're an idiot!!! We're not talking wiping the ECM clean, were talking resetting the ECM...try the key trick the next time you get a check engine light in your KW...it works!!

I've got to go take a :::shit:::...that'll be more productive than debating with you and at least I'll get something out of it!!

Key trick on and off several times will work but the problem will come right back. Who is the idiot read the link to "reset" computer. You might want to read up on things before you claim to be an expert. Turning the key off one time does nothing. I will have to put that in the vault next to our "Cadillac insurance you claimed" :biglaugh:

Key trick on and off several times will work but the problem will come right back. Who is the idiot read the link to "reset" computer. You might want to read up on things before you claim to be an expert. Turning the key off one time does nothing. I will have to put that in the vault next to our "Cadillac insurance you claimed" :biglaugh:
So the next time you experience ghost braking or your power is de-rated for whatever reason, be sure to stop on the side of the road and wait on a vendor or start disconnecting the batteries yourself, I'll use the key trick and keep going!!
Never claimed to be an expert, you gave me that title...thx!!

And I'll put that in the vault right beside you claiming @citydog is a dispatcher and @Purple Hammer is a Regional VP!! :hilarious:

So the next time you experience ghost braking or your power is de-rated for whatever reason, be sure to stop on the side of the road and wait on a vendor or start disconnecting the batteries yourself, I'll use the key trick and keep going!!
Never claimed to be an expert, you gave me that title...thx!!

And I'll put that in the vault right beside you claiming @citydog is a dispatcher and @Purple Hammer is a Regional VP!! :hilarious:

Your the perfect example of why people should stick to what they know and keep quiet about the rest. At the time i said roaddog was dispatching because of injury fact. Who knows or cares about plastic hammer.

Well I have plus worked on, diagnosed, and changed ECM's. And cycling the key does reset the ECM on may things. He ECM's that control the transmission in our loaders will glitch and you can't move, you shut it off and restart and it's fine. Please enlighten us why does the ghost braking problem go away when the key is cycled? As usual you have managed to completely derail an interesting thread with your nonsense.

I will respond since you bring up a decent point both times the ghost braking has happened to me i just kept driving it never did it again. He stated you just turn key off and back on 1 time which does nothing. Cycling key might be a fix for a short time but if you have issue light will come right back on.

Your the perfect example of why people should stick to what they know and keep quiet about the rest. At the time i said roaddog was dispatching because of injury fact.
Wrong...as usual!! @citydog has never worked in dispatch, perhaps you should take your own advice and stick to what you know, which isn't much...and get some new sources while you're at it!!

I will respond since you bring up a decent point both times the ghost braking has happened to me i just kept driving it never did it again. He stated you just turn key off and back on 1 time which does nothing. Cycling key might be a fix for a short time but if you have issue light will come right back on.
With some cases it happens once and done, with others it continues to happen until you reset the ECM...I've experienced both.

Actually, I said "shut the truck down and remove the key for 5 secs"...it's then when you cycle the ignition multiple times, which JD said, which is also correct and I assumed everyone knew this, my bad.

With the case of "ghost braking", which is the topic, once it stops there's no trace of it ever happening which is why I'll stand by my original statement that the shop "should've" connected a laptop to the truck while it was active in hopes of finding a solution instead of the status quo.