FedEx Freight | Ghost Braking

On KW's website they claim that the t680s have Bendix Wingman Fusion sytem integrated...

The only times that in aware of the Freightliner systems Ghost Braking is when the radar becomes obstructed by heavy snow or rain... If it's offline, don't drive it till you reset the ECM.

The Bendix systems glitch seemingly at random.

On KW's website they claim that the t680s have Bendix Wingman Fusion sytem integrated...

The only times that in aware of the Freightliner systems Ghost Braking is when the radar becomes obstructed by heavy snow or rain... If it's offline, don't drive it till you reset the ECM.

The Bendix systems glitch seemingly at random.
Bendix purchased the VORAD system from Eaton back in '08...who knew?? :idunno:

http://m.todaystrucking.com/bendix-buys-anti-collision-system-from-eaton

"ELYRIA, Ohio -- Bendix Commercial Vehicle Systems has signed a definitive agreement to acquire the VORAD (Vehicle On-board Radar) system from Eaton Corp."

"The transaction – which closed Dec. 31, 2008 – immediately incorporates the assets associated with VORAD operations to become a part of the electronics business unit of Bendix."

Something to think about...I have a friend at OD in the Pac NW who had this happen to him a couple weeks ago. On two occasions the same night, his brakes came on. He deadlined his tractor and when he talked to the shop, they said the computer showed nothing wrong and no codes.
He spoke with his safety guy who immediately sent a message to OD corp HQ. While in the safety guys office, they got an immediate response. Going thru people net, it happen first while being passed on a short bridge then it recorded the second event on another bridge. Looking at his load, he had some machinery that gave the trailer a high center of gravity and when passed, it showed the trailer RSS (roll stability sys ) sensed a possible roll over event starting and the" TRAILER" sent a message to the tractor computer that set the brakes. He went from 60 mph to 28 mps in seconds. The second time it happened, he was not being passed but hit a bump on the bridge and again since the trailer bounced, it sensed a possible roll over event. This is a 2016 Cascadia. The truck computer showed nothing wrong because the tractor was fine, IT WAS THE TRAILER doing the braking. So if you are pulling any trailer with the RSS and I know FEDEX has them, because it is a Govt Mandated item, this might be a lot of your problems. The sys is supposed to set the engine brake first then aplply the brakes and take away your throttle in that sequence is what he was told but, it just set the barkes the he had lost throttle. Maybe this will help you guys and your shop folks. Good Luck

Just to add...I believe he said the trailer ABS and RSS send a message to the tractor computer and then the tractor computer is whats sets off the braking action. Your safety folks might want to get with WABASH or whoever you are buying trailers from and talk to them in case your safety and maintenance folks are not familiar with the system operation.

So the next time you experience ghost braking or your power is de-rated for whatever reason, be sure to stop on the side of the road and wait on a vendor or start disconnecting the batteries yourself, I'll use the key trick and keep going!!
Never claimed to be an expert, you gave me that title...thx!!

And I'll put that in the vault right beside you claiming @citydog is a dispatcher and @Purple Hammer is a Regional VP!! :hilarious:
Maybe "Crazy Trucker" can get me VP pay and benefits too, since he gave me a trucking boards promotion from driver to VP. Lmao

Something to think about...I have a friend at OD in the Pac NW who had this happen to him a couple weeks ago. On two occasions the same night, his brakes came on. He deadlined his tractor and when he talked to the shop, they said the computer showed nothing wrong and no codes.
He spoke with his safety guy who immediately sent a message to OD corp HQ. While in the safety guys office, they got an immediate response. Going thru people net, it happen first while being passed on a short bridge then it recorded the second event on another bridge. Looking at his load, he had some machinery that gave the trailer a high center of gravity and when passed, it showed the trailer RSS (roll stability sys ) sensed a possible roll over event starting and the" TRAILER" sent a message to the tractor computer that set the brakes. He went from 60 mph to 28 mps in seconds. The second time it happened, he was not being passed but hit a bump on the bridge and again since the trailer bounced, it sensed a possible roll over event. This is a 2016 Cascadia. The truck computer showed nothing wrong because the tractor was fine, IT WAS THE TRAILER doing the braking. So if you are pulling any trailer with the RSS and I know FEDEX has them, because it is a Govt Mandated item, this might be a lot of your problems. The sys is supposed to set the engine brake first then aplply the brakes and take away your throttle in that sequence is what he was told but, it just set the barkes the he had lost throttle. Maybe this will help you guys and your shop folks. Good Luck
While I find your suggestions to be interesting and a plausible explanation for events at OD, after discussing with our shop techs/shop management at two different shops, they confirmed my assumptions that our trailers are NOT equipped with RSS, just our tractors, and our trailers are only equipped with ABS.