Giants' Buster Posey wins NL MVP award

R-14Driver

TB Legend
Credits
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Buster Posey of the San Francisco Giants added to a career's worth of accomplishments by winning the National League Most Valuable Player award on Thursday in just his third season.

Yet the humble, 25-year-old catcher said what he took away from the 2012 season was a heartfelt appreciation just to be able to play.

Posey had the highest batting average in the major leagues at .336 and pounded 24 homers while driving in 103 to win MLB's top individual award following a 2011 season that ended for him after only 45 games in a devastating collision at home plate.

"I do know that I definitely have a deeper appreciation for being able to play baseball," said Posey, who suffered a broken leg and torn ligaments in his ankle while trying to block home on a play at the plate.

"I've seen that it can be taken away quick," he told reporters in a conference call. "Hopefully I can continue to embrace the game and enjoy it, regardless of outcomes and how you do. Just try to appreciate each minute you're out there."....................

Giants' Buster Posey wins NL MVP award - Yahoo! Sports