Holland | Going for my Drug and back test

Smuggler

TB Lurker
Credits
Howdy...I am going for my drug and back test to be a city driver...I have a few questions...since I have 7 years ltl city from R+L carriers they are going to jump me right out from casual to probation soon as paperwork clears from corp. My question is how long does it take to be union and when does insurance kick in? And how good is the union...this would be my first union job

Howdy...I am going for my drug and back test to be a city driver...I have a few questions...since I have 7 years ltl city from R+L carriers they are going to jump me right out from casual to probation soon as paperwork clears from corp. My question is how long does it take to be union and when does insurance kick in? And how good is the union...this would be my first union job
Don't be fooled, if they are giving you a "Letter" of hire on your first day it is because they need someone, it is not because you have seven years with another company. Central States: The day that you get your "Letter" starts your time, after thirty calender days go by you are a regular employee. The weeks that you work don't count towards your insurance until after your off probation (thirty days after you get your "Letter"). Once you are a regular employee, you will work at least two days a week for eight straight weeks and then, starting with your ninth week, as long as you work at least two days per week you will have insurance. Good luck with everything and be very careful, if you have an accident they will get rid of you no questions asked.
As far as the union goes it is as strong as you and everybody that you work with makes it. Thats what being union is all about, being together no matter what. If its a co-worker that you hate or really like he/she is still your brother or sister and you should always have their backs and them yours, no matter what. You can be a booty kisser and it will not get you anything but trouble from your co-workers. Show up for work and do your share each day and you will love your job once you get a few people under you. The first few years are kinda rough being on the bottom but once you get some time in and top out it is a good ride.

Hint: Don't try to be a know-it-all, even if you are. Humble yourself a little and try to get along with everybody, at least until you get your thirty days in. On your thirty-first day you are the same as the guy with forty years and then you can tell him where he can go and what he can do, lol.

So stick with it?

So if you had your choice of companys. would you say Holland is the better choice. I ask this because CCX is shooting me a offer too. Also being in Wisconsin what is my odds of getting laid off for the winter?I know R+L was busy all thru the year.
(by the way ,I took my drug test and back exam Monday)

All I know is here in Columbus we have people coming from CCX to work for us. I would say take the job with Holland.

At Holland we pull either 48 or 53 footers, at CCX you will be probably pulling pups. They have some big trailers. From my past experience at CF, the pups suck in the winter, brakes locking up, trailer sliding sideways. The brakes were either on or you were rolling trying to straighten them back out. Just my opinion though, I am very happy at Holland, and I don’t miss those pups.

Y I have been reading thru the different boards and to my amazement there is no complaining on Holland side. i think I made the right choice.:1036316054:

Holland after probation:

So if you had your choice of companys. would you say Holland is the better choice. I ask this because CCX is shooting me a offer too. Also being in Wisconsin what is my odds of getting laid off for the winter?I know R+L was busy all thru the year.
(by the way ,I took my drug test and back exam Monday)

I am a HMES line driver out of MI.

First off welcome. We don't have fast trucks like R+L, but you will adjust.

Second, Once in a while if it snowed really bad I got to leave early (when I was city.) never laid off.

Third, I unfortunetely worked at CCX. 'Nuff said.

You are out of TM right? I might have met you, my name is James, I talked to a newbie outside the term while I was waiting for the cab to pick me up.

Yes you might have met me.I have met so many people since my start and have to say I havent ever work for a more relaxed job. Then again I came from a high stressed job before signing on.I think Im going to love this job.