XPO | "GOOD" ideas, that backfired on management........

And wisdom... wisdom is the melting pot of knowledge, experience, patience, and understanding.

So do you sign up for insubordinate of the week or ask for the two week notice form at this point in your career?

I am always amazed by these things...regardless of what is handed to some people they are more than willing to accept the consequence and defend it with vigorous tenacity as if it is a test of faith...once passed...they rise to another level of existence and recieve the badge of endurence.

It is easy to calculate numbers...and make them appear to be something other than what they actually are...just ask any accountant or financial officer of any major corporation (Enron...anyone?)...

The government has been selling these kinds of caluculations for years and even worse are the bankers...but that is another post.

It easy to attenuate the spin given by the decision makers...and the subsequent deluge of propagandizing that always accompanies these enhancements....

Just give a carte blanche endorsement to the decision...and no accountabilty is needed...all is good in KoolAid land.

Where I come from things are just a little different.

Blame it on my parents...blame it on geography...or just cultural purity...

We were raised on the premise that a man's word is his bond....and that bond is not easily broken. A promise made is one to be kept at whatever expense may be necessary to assure the integrity and excellence of the promise maker....

They are expected to do all things in their power to keep their word (bond) and in the event every avenue has been exhausted by the person then things can be "forgiven"...

Many people were promised benefits and compensatory considerations at the outset of their 'careers' with this company...only to have them conveniently 'enhanced' by the leadership as they see fit...at their disgression...for whatever reason seems to be 'critical' at the moment. It is extraordinarily easy to attack the compensation base of your working staff as quick fix to disorganized policies and mismanaged direction....it is an immediately realized return...no real investment in managerial accountability is required...just cut wages and benefits and see immediate results...in a manner of weeks...

Cutting wages and benefits (especially in this economy) exonerates the leadership from being responsible to the rank and file for their collective actions...and then produce a video trumpeting the good and wonderful reasons for the enhancements...at the expense and livelihood of many....

I once watched a video (in black and white) on YouTube similar to this mindset...children and adults in their neatly pressed uniforms...lined in perfect formation...giving glorious honor to the culture of their leadership...it was a little hard to understand tho'...as it was in German!!!...

Some will take the low road and feign intellectual superiority...they will sieze upon opportunities to loudly and triumphantly proclaim their cause...and give the promise makers all the rope they need.

All the while giving us a lesson on wisdom...which they have derived from Google searches and the ever popular 'cut and paste'.

Others of us will hold the promise makers to their word...regardless of the expense.

Rat

I have to wonder had someone really done their homework how many thousands of dollars could have been saved on all the backbelts that they bought

I am always amazed by these things...regardless of what is handed to some people they are more than willing to accept the consequence and defend it with vigorous tenacity as if it is a test of faith...once passed...they rise to another level of existence and recieve the badge of endurence.

It is easy to calculate numbers...and make them appear to be something other than what they actually are...just ask any accountant or financial officer of any major corporation (Enron...anyone?)...

The government has been selling these kinds of caluculations for years and even worse are the bankers...but that is another post.

It easy to attenuate the spin given by the decision makers...and the subsequent deluge of propagandizing that always accompanies these enhancements....

Just give a carte blanche endorsement to the decision...and no accountabilty is needed...all is good in KoolAid land.

Where I come from things are just a little different.

Blame it on my parents...blame it on geography...or just cultural purity...

We were raised on the premise that a man's word is his bond....and that bond is not easily broken. A promise made is one to be kept at whatever expense may be necessary to assure the integrity and excellence of the promise maker....

They are expected to do all things in their power to keep their word (bond) and in the event every avenue has been exhausted by the person then things can be "forgiven"...

Many people were promised benefits and compensatory considerations at the outset of their 'careers' with this company...only to have them conveniently 'enhanced' by the leadership as they see fit...at their disgression...for whatever reason seems to be 'critical' at the moment. It is extraordinarily easy to attack the compensation base of your working staff as quick fix to disorganized policies and mismanaged direction....it is an immediately realized return...no real investment in managerial accountability is required...just cut wages and benefits and see immediate results...in a manner of weeks...

Cutting wages and benefits (especially in this economy) exonerates the leadership from being responsible to the rank and file for their collective actions...and then produce a video trumpeting the good and wonderful reasons for the enhancements...at the expense and livelihood of many....

I once watched a video (in black and white) on YouTube similar to this mindset...children and adults in their neatly pressed uniforms...lined in perfect formation...giving glorious honor to the culture of their leadership...it was a little hard to understand tho'...as it was in German!!!...

Some will take the low road and feign intellectual superiority...they will sieze upon opportunities to loudly and triumphantly proclaim their cause...and give the promise makers all the rope they need.

All the while giving us a lesson on wisdom...which they have derived from Google searches and the ever popular 'cut and paste'.

Others of us will hold the promise makers to their word...regardless of the expense.

Rat

Rat, where is this company that cares about their employees, that you want Con-way to be so much like..(LTL company)

I'm just stating a fact here: All public companies have an obligation to the people who have millions of dollars invested in their company..Con-way isn't doing anything that hundreds of other companies have done in the past year.

We, the employees, are just in the way. If we don't like it, then there are thousands of folks who would line up to do the job. And probably for less money. I'm just glad I'm still able to make good money.

Now go ahead and tell me that I'm the kind of person that the company wants and that they broke their promises...that's all getting kind of old...So please save it.

And yes, I do think the videos are a waste of money and the vacation policy should've never changed..and I hate the attendence policy.

ir6cfr.jpg