Google acquires Nest: Is it one step closer to being 'Big Brother'?

Road Dust

Mrs Ricky Ricardo
Credits
*Government's twin brother, imo*

The Internet giant is acquiring Nest, a company that makes smart thermostats and smoke alarms, for $3.2 billion in cash. Two former Apple (AAPL)
executives, Tony Fadell and Matt Rogers, founded Nest in 2011. Nest's thermostats were designed to reduce a homeowner's heating costs; the device learns its user's behaviors and can adjust the temperature autonomously. A user can also adjust the temperature over Wi-Fi from his or her iPhone or iPad.

By buying Nest, Google now has access to private information that was never under its purview.

Google acquires Nest: Is it one step closer to being 'Big Brother'? | Daily Ticker - Yahoo Finance

Oh no... Google will know how hot I like my house.

Guardrail

yes, and then your local newspaper will have ads directed solely towards you...!!!

i think George Orwell.......did it best.....and it has already come here....

Newspaper? What's that? They are about as relevant as the local weather crew. "Come back after the break and we will tell you what the weather is going to be like." How about if I look on my phone and change the channel now?

Guardrail

Newspaper? What's that? They are about as relevant as the local weather crew. "Come back after the break and we will tell you what the weather is going to be like." How about if I look on my phone and change the channel now?

Guardrail

what's a newspaper..??

something that we use to roll up and swat someone with.

i still read the papers, watch tv and listen to the radio.

sum day, i'll get "modern" and get me a phone that can do all sorts of tricks, like roll over and play dead.

till then....the old way is the only way......

what's a newspaper..??

something that we use to roll up and swat someone with.

i still read the papers, watch tv and listen to the radio.

sum day, i'll get "modern" and get me a phone that can do all sorts of tricks, like roll over and play dead.

till then....the old way is the only way......
OR, all you need....

There was a story on NPR the other day about all the new "smart" technology. It has come to the point where everything can "talk" to everything else. The "smart" phone can talk to the car, which can talk to the "smart" stuff in your house, the fridge, oven, washer, dryer, lighting system, HVAC, even stuff that hasn't been invented yet.

The technology exists today so that as you are driving home from work your car can communicate with the thermostat in your house, and change the settings from the energy (and money) saving mode to the temperature that you like to have when you get there, fire up the oven to start dinner so it will be just about done by the time you get in the door, shut off the alarm system and have the lights on just how you like them when you pull in the driveway.

The only real problem with all this high tech crap is that the hackers have already figured out how to hack into these systems and your home sweet home may not be as you expect it when you get there.

No, thank you!

There was a story on NPR the other day about all the new "smart" technology. It has come to the point where everything can "talk" to everything else. The "smart" phone can talk to the car, which can talk to the "smart" stuff in your house, the fridge, oven, washer, dryer, lighting system, HVAC, even stuff that hasn't been invented yet.

The technology exists today so that as you are driving home from work your car can communicate with the thermostat in your house, and change the settings from the energy (and money) saving mode to the temperature that you like to have when you get there, fire up the oven to start dinner so it will be just about done by the time you get in the door, shut off the alarm system and have the lights on just how you like them when you pull in the driveway.

The only real problem with all this high tech crap is that the hackers have already figured out how to hack into these systems and your home sweet home may not be as you expect it when you get there.

No, thank you!
I have my phone programmed to use as a remote control for the tv's. I thought that was pretty cool, but some of the technology is just too strange for me. There is a setting to where I can scroll just, hands free, with just eye movement. I tried that setting but since I take my phone with me everywhere, even to the bathroom, I felt uncomfortable with it on, lol.

I tried that setting but since I take my phone with me everywhere, even to the bathroom, I felt uncomfortable with it on, lol.

baby-quizzical1_zps40b1235e.jpg

Things were so much simpler when we had to use pay phones, cell phones are nice but if they went away, I don't think I would miss them, my step daughter was in tears when her phone broke, she is 19, something is really wrong with that.

Things were so much simpler when we had to use pay phones, .

i dunno about that..

i do not miss the days of trying to find a phone that worked in the truckers phone room, at nearly all the truck stops

i do not miss the days of pulling into a rest area, to find a working phone, so i could call the customer for directions and an ETA

i do not miss the days of having my wallet filled with long distance phone cards from several long distance providers as in many areas, one card would never be accepted.

i do not miss the days when i had my first "cell phone", it was a Radio shack "bag phone" and must have weighed about 20 pounds..>!!!!

i do however, miss the days when i would hear on the radio during the winter months........"no school today".......

I dunno, when I didn't have a cell phone, I just found the damn place, by a map or pulling over and asking, we are tech slaves now, a driver used to have to drive by his instinct, what he thought, now its all handed to him, I used to pride myself in my ability to locate stops.

I dunno, when I didn't have a cell phone, I just found the damn place, by a map or pulling over and asking, we are tech slaves now, a driver used to have to drive by his instinct, what he thought, now its all handed to him, I used to pride myself in my ability to locate stops.

nowadays...

i take pride in knowing that i wake up......

I hear ya, your old school, you know how it was.

that's right...

i tried, tried in vain mind you, how to teach Jesus to cross the Red Sea... so that he wouldn't get wet...

finally, after several hours of tutoring....he takes me up on "parting it"...

damn kids....

that's right...

i tried, tried in vain mind you, how to teach Jesus to cross the Red Sea... so that he wouldn't get wet...

finally, after several hours of tutoring....he takes me up on "parting it"...

damn kids....

Wasn't that Moses?

Wasn't that Moses?

it's been so long...my memory sometimes slips.......

sum dude in a long beard.....holding these stone tablets.....i thought he was nuts carrying those things around, he could have just had one of his lackeys carry them...

damn kids

it's been so long...my memory sometimes slips.......

sum dude in a long beard.....holding these stone tablets.....i thought he was nuts carrying those things around, he could have just had one of his lackeys carry them...

damn kids

Stone tablets.

And a burning bush.

Long before fire extinguishers were invented.