Got Questions about CFI Look Here.(Unofficial)

TZ Williams

TB Lurker
Credits
:smilie_132:
With CFI merger with Con-Way I see people with many misconceptions on both sides about how CFI operates. And what we do and how we do it along with many other questions. Well here is the place for answers! I have been with CFI 15+ years and have a good working relationship with many of CFI's top people who can get answers to at lest most of your questions. I will try and answer all questions with honesty to the best of my ability.
This is open to all CFI and Con-way drivers. along with anyone interested. Information is the key to understanding. Let's all please remember NO mud slinging or finger pointing. just a friendly exchange of information. :Duel:

TZ-my post may not be welcome here but here goes-I am just finishing school this week with my CDL and after looking and applying to a lot of companies, I will probably be going with CFI. I liked what they told me compared to most other OTR companies regarding pay ( except the every-2-weeks), training, policies, etc. Only misgiving I have is that they are apparently in the middle of a take-over by Con-way. Change always changes things and I'm sure it will affect and be noticed by drivers who have been there a while while a newbie like me won't notice (ignorance is bliss). I asked my recruiter about them going to pulling doubles and was told no. Also asked about miles being off and was told I could expect at least 28-3200 or more. Couldn't really get any specifics yet about insurance (deductibles, co-pays). Also, that a very small % (less than half a percent) went to metro NYC. What can you guys tell me. Good company? Honest? Also, how are the KW 13 speeds compared to other trucks with 10's? Appreciate any info that would help me settle my mind.

First YOU ARE welcome here! CFI is one of the better company to start and work for.
Your miles will very depending on you! 2500 a week is a good est. avg. for a new driver you got a lot to learn. and how hard and willing you are to work. I say this cause new drivers let their log book work them not the other way around. and I'm not talking about running illegal. I talked to the folks up stairs and I got we DON'T run doubles that is and will be Con-Way ltl. (less then truck load) NOBODY will miss CFI more then me. but Many of the Con-Way people seem to be good folks. Always afew bad eggs with any Co. As you get more experience Your miles will improve Con-Way/Menlo has a MUCH bigger freight base then CFI has. and we will keep many of our customers. My miles avg. 12-13k a month per year. ON RECORD but you have to know I don't take much time off.. some do far less but its their work ethics and how they work I have seen many tell me they can run but can't get miles, but wont show me how they log or their load screen..SO their blowing HOT AIR to me. One thing to ALWAYS REMEMBER CFI is very,very,very serious about pickup/delivery ON TIME!!! if you do that they will jump thru hoops to help you with any other problems..CFI does not lie to their drivers,I have NEVER seen it. only heard about it from pissed off drivers but thats their story. As to pay and benfits will know the new package soon eough. dont let 13 verse 10 worry you you can learn to shift both about the same. I like 13 speed I"m lazy. WELCOME ABOARD and feel free to ask ?..

TZ thanks very much. Are the KW's cramped? I got in one at school and it looked kinda small. Also, what is their idle policy and truck/sleeper config and amenities? I know these may sound like petty things but I have pretty much narrowed the bigger concerns down. They sound really good for a newbie so far. I especially like the training pay (my own miles) and length. What about training, can I have a trainer who smokes? Are they professional who will take my inexperience into real consideration and really try to help/teach? Bear with me and thanks very much for info. Tony

Yes the T-600 KW is cramped compared to many other trucks, but CFI/Con-Way is moving up to larger trucks. they admit to a serious mistake at buying the 2007 stripped down models and all trucks trade out at 390000 miles. right now we run with 72" sleepers. Idle policy none drivers are only asked to shut down when not in truck or good weather. mostly use common sense. I don't see a problem with requesting a trainer who doesn't mind smokers. Most trainer at CFI are professionals who will work hard to help you and if not let the training dept. know and they will work with you to find one who will. Pay will be done once a week after Jan. 1st 2008 pay will be based on dispatched miles.

TZ-thanks again. I Scheduled my orientation today-I will be in Joplin Nov 26th. Really like most of what I've heard and read, especially for someone with no experience. My recruiter told me that they were in the process of buying new freightliner tractors? That was the only sticking point with CFI was the cramped conditions as I plan to take the wife (and a small Jack Russell sometimes). How "stripped down" are the 2007's? What Can I expect as far as sleeper/truck amenities? I know they have XM radio, pre and EZ pass but what about CD players and I assume I'll have to buy an inverter for a micro and TV. Thanks-Tony (Hardwood)

All our XM's play CD's and I bought and inverter from CFI. better warrinty. and they will install. which they must do with all of them some drivers hooked them up wrong and burned down afew trucks.
And a BIG WECLOME ABOARD. Tell the safety boys T.Z. said HELLO not many don't know me. They are a pretty good bunch to work with. regradless of what some will tell you.

Just alittle advice when you think they are being hard on you. EVERY job has it's UPS and Downs But the man who raised me always said SON when you take another mans money, like and dislike don't mean a %&@^ thing you do his job his way. Learn to work the system and not let it work you. every job has its own tricks. To often new drivers come in thinking they should get what I get. I spent 30yrs learning my craft and they want it all NOW. Patience is a virtue best instilled in small children and truck drivers. Don't make the mistake of compairing yourself to older drivers, learn the rules and and then the system then learn how to work it. slow and steady will always beat hard and fast in the long run.

maybe interested in CFI now with AVERITT?

How many days are you out? and how long before the insurance takes?

Poppy, I checked and they said it takes about 60 days for insure. to kick in depending on what time of the month you hire in, And you may hilite for home after 10 days out. 1 day off for every 7 days out. Nice thing is you can bank what ever day days off you dont use. I have about 88 days off coming to me now.

ive been with CFI 14 months had 1 run to nyc it wasnt offered to me i switched with another driver that didnt want to go .as for stripped down trucks cd players with xm beds cabinets 12volt outlets and u can buy a large inverter at cfi and they install it some people like a lot of frills but its work and nothing more if u want to make it a lifestyle and have a lot of frills buy your own truck in the future cause it ant at cfi anymore they have great ins and good pay per mile but u have to keep on them to keep u rolling

Hey there TZ.

Hello! This might be an unusual question, but I am now a guy from Norway that am looking for a driver job in USA. Been looking a little around, and I found that CFI seems to have good program for both experienced and new drivers as well. I have 5 years experience here in Norway, driving mostly goods with temperature regulated requirements. I have been driving semi here all the time, and the last 3 years I've been spoiled with the I-shift (automatic gear system) from Volvo. The trucks here are not that big as yours there, but it's just size. Don't bother me that much. :D Anyway, is it possible to get in contact with someone that can provide me work there in CFI? As I live in the winterland here, and used to work at snow as well as tarmac and everything else, I don't mind where I go. Just prefer to drive on tarmac the first couple of months until I get used to the trucks there. Also, I understand that I need to get driving licence and course there even I have the experience here in Norway. Will CFI be helpful to get that for me as well?? When the time I get there, I know I would need a lot of help to get around. So hope to keep in contact with you when I get there.
Rune