Government bailout of GM hurting sales as resentment drives consumers elsewhere

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Toby, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

Another bailout consequence besides the fact that the tax payers are still on the hook for the bailout of a company that needed a major overhaul is the fact that consumers are not flocking to buy the product that government motors puts out. Many consumers still have a deep resentment towards the company that the government bailed out.

The Government's Bailout Of General Motors Is Strangling GM

The Government's Bailout Of General Motors Is Strangling GM - Forbes

2. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Well-Known Member

The price tags are strangling...who has enough faith in their job to spend 50k on a new Silverado??

3. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

$30,000 - 27 is average across the board now it seems

4. sharpshooter

I was out looking this morning (out of curiosity) and the one ida picked was 47k and some change..Lmao...not even a diesel, and cloth interior to boot!! Guess I'll stick with the 90's models

And ofcourse the Gov't got their paws into the diesel P/u thing too. DEF in a P/U??? C'mon

5. autocar65

autocar65 Local 767

But the questions are 1. Has the worth of the Silverado gone up enough to warrant the price? Or 2. Has the buying power of the US dollar diminished to the point to where the Silverado now takes twice as much worthless American Dollars to buy than it did just a few years ago? If it is #2 then why are average working Americans still laboring at the same pay (or less) as they were a decade ago?

If bailing out General Motors has contributed to inflation along with all the bail outs of Banks under Bush and Obama then Americans are justified in their resentment and they are voting with their dollar. We are still allowed to do that are we not? Now when the American Taxpayer has to foot the bill for advertising for a failing General Motors? And imagine, General Motors sold Detroit Diesel to Freightliner who is owned by the German company Daimler who also owns Chrysler. And at the same time Caterpillar bailed out of truck engine manufacturing all together...thanks to the EPA. You can't buy a Pete with a Detroit in it....or a Cat 3406!

Is it any wonder the rest of the world can no longer trust us as the business leaders of the industrial world? We have got to look like we have lost our minds.

6. Bubba74

Bubba74 Well-Known Member

just get 2 or 3 part time jobs
    another result of the Barry economy

go on MSNBC tell us how great things are

I know I know Bin Laden is dead and GM is alive, all hail Barry

7. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

A good guess would be 2. They go back and justify the hike though with added technology and so called fuel savings, you never get what they advertise though because those in most cases were done on closed courses and not real driving conditions.

Ask yourself the base models of cars today were pretty much yesterday's mid to top levels with options. Do you really needtheback up camera or the blind spot sensors? Even the base models come in at the low 20's for most models of mid size and up.. Even the sprints, fiestas , mazda 2 and other compacts are going in the mid to upper teens.

8. sharpshooter

There is legislation pending to require backup cameras now, so people don't back over kids in their driveway, doesn't matter if you don't have kids..gotta have it anyway:regretful:

9. cmsdock

cmsdock Active Member

It's in the Chevy cruze diesel now as well.

10. sharpshooter

Really? I bet that boosted sales...NOT

11. dcmilkwagon

dcmilkwagon Armed, not a victim

Most EPA estimates are done with computer simulations, not actual testing.

12. Airbrakes

Airbrakes Super trucker

I recently made the switch from GM to Ford, but the bailout had nothing to do with it.

Just to throw this out there: I became a Freemason a couple years ago. I bought a Ford because Henry Ford was also a mason. Fraternity brothers tend to stick together, which is why you'll see the majority of us driving Fords and Chrystlers. There's more than just one reason why people will change their loyalty to different automakers, and two reasons have now been thrown out there.

Another reason why GM and other manufacturers have gone up in price is retirement pensions. UAW workers get lifetime pensions, as in they never run out. As more workers retire, the automakers need to make up for the deficit. If you don't wan to pay 30-40k for a new vehicle, just wait 2 to 3 years and buy certified pre-owned.

13. sharpshooter

I'd have to ask my Dad but, I believe they cut a lot of retirement benefits after the bailout.

I understand the legacy costs for GM, Ford but, what's Toyota's excuse? Toyota's sticker is less but, they don't do the 7k off stuff like the others so it comes out the same..lol

14. Northern Flash

Northern Flash Piss on our Flag, get a boycott against you.

I've always been a GM man. But never again, at least until they've paid back the American tax payer. And I refuse to buy another Chrysler product because they wouldn't cover a bad engine in the wife's 300 when it was still under warranty. Although I took them to court and won. So they DID have to pay for it in the long run. But I vowed to never buy another one of their products after that battle.

So my next vehicle will be a Ford. There's a first time for everything.

15. Northern Flash

These back up cameras and a built in vacuum are a joke to me. All it does is jacks the price up for more bells and whistles that will never get used. Most people can't afford a stripped down model let alone afford one with this crap on it. They add more crap and the prices continue to rise.

Buy used.......let the new buyers take the loss on the depreciation.

16. autocar65

autocar65 Local 767

I know I don't need it, or any of the other amenities offered to buyers. It is like taking your Christmas bonus and going to the tattoo parlor and adorning yourself instead of buying bicycles for your children. We have become selfish and it is easy to fall into the credit trap. We actually believe we deserve to take a second mortgage on our home for that European vacation we always wanted. We become enslaved to our indulgences. I know a co-worker who bought a new 18 wheeler, and new Hummer and a new home....all at the same time. He is no longer an owner operator and has terrible credit. Now he rents an apartment. All that chrome he bought for his truck now belongs to whoever bought it or it may have been repossessed by American Cold Iron Recovery. He could have bought a used truck but he needed it all now. Somehow he got the notion that there was a huge amount of money to be made in transportation...now he knows.

Once in awhile we go back to building a basic model when it comes to automobiles but as time goes by I see Government putting their oar into the car manufacturing pool and demanding unnecessary upgrades. Most of us would be fine with a basic car but are we self disciplined enough to settle for the basic model?

We might be just as addicted to indebtedness as our Government officials are, just on a smaller scale so we do not realize we are slowly becoming the property of the Government we are critical of.

17. Northern Flash

I think that that answer is NO we aren't disciplined enough. My guess is that when people buy a new vehicle that has a back up camera and built in vacuum, those are the first words that come out of their mouth when bragging to their friends and family. The bells and whistles are a huge attractant to those who want to "keep up with the Jones' ". All of these worthless bells and whistles are what helps these people take the lead in the "Jones" race. And the auto industry realizes it.......so they just keep adding "stuff".