Grantsville, Utah

Runnindrunk

TB Lurker
Credits
Does anyone know how the running is from the Grantsville DC? I have an interview set up there and wondering how the place is to work at.

Grantsville drivers are dispatched from a different ROC (regional operating center) than we are but I can give you a little information. Grantsville is a general merchandise DC that covers stores in UT,ID,MT,NV. You would most likely start your week with a store load then depending how far out you are they would run you into another DC or maybe a relay yard to pick up an inbound back to Grantsville. Not sure what back hauls there are available in the Grantsville operating area but most of the inbound loads probably will be coming from other DC's or relay yards. We also have a grocery DC in Corrine so Im sure the guys from Grantsville are in there often.

From time to time I see Grantsville drivers on the yard at Apple Valley as well as in Red Bluff,Porterville and Hurricane. My guess is if you run west out of UT you get pulled into Mc Carran (grocery DC) for a load that might take you into CA then you could end up at Red Bluff or the Sacramento relay yard. On the other hand you could go east and end up pulling a load out of Loveland (GM) or Cheyenne (GRO). A run going south could have you ending up in So Cal. Then again you could very well end up moving empty back to Grantsville.

Key thing to remember is that the ROC will always be focused on your go home day. Generally they will try and get you back to your home domicile ASAP but you could be out all week running "wild" but you will be back when its time to go home. There have been only a few times in the past year that I have been away from Apple Valley all week most of the time I am out for a day then back up the hill with inbound freight. Apple Valley is very heavy on inbound freight so we tend to stay within 500 miles from the DC other DC's are different and will run more regional.

Thanks for the info Doug, does walmart still allow someone to transfer after a year and does the TM have to approve a transfer?

You can put in for a transfer after your year is up if the DC you want to go to has openings and your not at step two or above on the discipline ladder. As long as you meet the above criteria you should be good to go. My understanding is as long as your eligible a GTM can not hold up your transfer,drivers move around all the time because many take what they can just to get in then transfer closer to home. We also have alot of drivers that just like to try different DC's.

Thanks Doug, that's what I was told by someone else, just looking for some confirmation. I have a grocery DC about fifty miles from my house but no walmart drivers are domiciled there, hope that might change in the near future.

They seem to be slowly moving towards our drivers running more of the GRO DC loads. Right now we have 75% of the Fontana GRO DC which services most of our operating area. There are plans for a new GRO DC in Barstow but its still a ways off. Which GRO DC are near?