SAIA | Grayslake (?) Terminal

Going north to OKC.
OK .... If your going to DLS on Oakdale the George Bush Tollway will save you an hour in most cases. You can see it from the terminal. Just get back on Oakdale (going back) and head west ( a few blocks) and take it North. Coming from OK. Take it South off 35N .... Just as you start coming into Carrollton.

Last edited:
What's the charge to use it which means that I can't because I don't have a toll pass.
There are no booths to pay ... They read the plates and bill the company. Many passes are universal and are read automatically with no problems. I see drivers coming from the North all the time using George Bush. It actually saves the company money in time and fuel. Whether they have a universal pass I cant say. I don't think it's a terminating offense. I'd personally go for it and just pay it if questioned. But you should probably ask to be sure.

A high berm with native plants and trees would practically hide SAIA and put the noise to a minimum. Medline is there so we should be allowed there. Hopefully the right decision will be made. SAIA will bring a positive impact to that community. The jobs and additional tax base will help the community grow and I can't see that being a bad thing.

So I was in CGO this morning and I talked to a dispatcher and a guy who was hired to work for Grayslake (GLK). They said construction is still chugging along in GLK. They have the structure up for the crossdock and they're going to start pouring the floor and putting up the roof on it next. The outbuilding for the shop is being built as well.

As for operations, they plan on starting operations sometime between Jan-Mar 2016. They are hiring aggressively and they're starting to train linehaul/city/dock in CGO for the opening of GLK, and theres going to be a few future GLK linehaulers that will be working out of MKE for the time being. Theres already a list of current CGO and MKE drivers that will transferring to GLK when it opens..

So I was in CGO this morning and I talked to a dispatcher and a guy who was hired to work for Grayslake (GLK). They said construction is still chugging along in GLK. They have the structure up for the crossdock and they're going to start pouring the floor and putting up the roof on it next. The outbuilding for the shop is being built as well.

As for operations, they plan on starting operations sometime between Jan-Mar 2016. They are hiring aggressively and they're starting to train linehaul/city/dock in CGO for the opening of GLK, and theres going to be a few future GLK linehaulers that will be working out of MKE for the time being. Theres already a list of current CGO and MKE drivers that will transferring to GLK when it opens..
Thanks for the info. I looked at the site via Google Earth and I can't fathom Mayor Lentz's lawsuit doing anything but getting him a contempt charge. Along with the aforementioned Medline, there is a utility company (24/7 must be ok if the power goes out) and MULTIPLE other industries in the area.

Burr Ridge is on I-55 just south of the I-294 interchange. Saia is in what used to be the old K&R terminal on the west side of I-55. It's about 145 dock doors and I totally believe the comment about them having to turn down bills. Most of the terminals up here in the Midwest are way too small and spread out to handle the amount of freight that their areas can generate. Grayslake will take freight load off of both Burr Ridge and Milwaukee. There are also areas up in northern Illinois that we don't currently cover directly and give the freight to Dohrn to deliver. Grayslake will eliminate most of the Dohrn areas up there.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I looked at the site via Google Earth and I can't fathom Mayor Lentz's lawsuit doing anything but getting him a contempt charge. Along with the aforementioned Medline, there is a utility company (24/7 must be ok if the power goes out) and MULTIPLE other industries in the area.
I thought the mayor was initially bluffing. That was my gut feeling from his YouTube video. Too much over compensating with indirect threats. Like SAIA may just be throwing away millions. Even penny that SAIA puts into this terminal is at risk. He expects to win in a lawsuit in which permits have been granted. Not likely. Why doesn't the mayor think about the positives of this project instead of wasting tax payer money on attorneys that are more than happy to take their money. He should have been there before the permits where given. If this ever goes to court SAIA should win hands down. SAIA will make this a safe and beatiful terminal and it will be an asset to the community. The mayor is just an ass to the community IMO.

I thought of sending the mayor the email address of PronounceName.com but I thought it would be better to just let him make an even bigger fool of himself. Damn can't the man do a little research on how to pronounce our founders name.

I thought the mayor was initially bluffing. That was my gut feeling from his YouTube video. Too much over compensating with indirect threats. Like SAIA may just be throwing away millions. Even penny that SAIA puts into this terminal is at risk. He expects to win in a lawsuit in which permits have been granted. Not likely. Why doesn't the mayor think about the positives of this project instead of wasting tax payer money on attorneys that are more than happy to take their money. He should have been there before the permits where given. If this ever goes to court SAIA should win hands down. SAIA will make this a safe and beatiful terminal and it will be an asset to the community. The mayor is just an ass to the community IMO.
Ain't politics grand.

Glad to see us get away from the original terminal in Franklin Park Illinois. It was next to O'Hare Airport. We also had terminal in Markham Illinois. The terminals were 40 miles from each other but it would take you forever to get from one to the other on 294 in the lovely Illinois morning traffic. Dont miss that !

It's entirely possible that Medline and the other businesses were grandfathered in, and that new construction would require different, more recent, licensing. Sounds to me like the city issued the permits and that the locals are pissed. Locals do have a point. Would you want to live next door to a 24/7/365 operation would trucks running, trailers slamming, dock doors making noise, etc? I wouldn't. The mayor has a duty to those citizens so he has to put on a show. Of course the thing is going to get built. Saia has money to spend and will get it done one way or the other.

It's entirely possible that Medline and the other businesses were grandfathered in, and that new construction would require different, more recent, licensing. Sounds to me like the city issued the permits and that the locals are pissed. Locals do have a point. Would you want to live next door to a 24/7/365 operation would trucks running, trailers slamming, dock doors making noise, etc? I wouldn't. The mayor has a duty to those citizens so he has to put on a show. Of course the thing is going to get built. Saia has money to spend and will get it done one way or the other.
This is the bottom line. Everyone had an opportunity to stop this before the permits were issued. They can say they didn't all day long but that's BS. Someone dropped the ball and let this happen and now it's too late. It won't be as bad as the mayor is trying to proclaim on his high horse. SAIA has recourse too if something should happen and you can better believe they would use it. This noise issue will be minimum with the berm and landscaping and safety will be paramount when entering and exiting the facility.

Last edited:
Since this is Chicago area politicians, I wouldn't be surprised that the mayor had not raise a concern, until construction had actually started, in order to blackmail Saia and Grayslake into giving his city a piece of the pie. I imagine that the sides will work out the blackmail terms and there will be a second video with everyone singing Kumbaya. It's Chicago.

Since this is Chicago area politicians, I wouldn't be surprised that the mayor had not raise a concern, until construction had actually started, in order to blackmail Saia and Grayslake into giving his city a piece of the pie. I imagine that the sides will work out the blackmail terms and there will be a second video with everyone singing Kumbaya. It's Chicago.
Hell, it's today's America.

Just curious. But any of you Saia guys that work at Burr Ridge know if there is a Hispanic guy named Eddie that is a supervisor working there?