SAIA | Grayslake

Wildbean1

TB Lurker
Credits
I'm considering a return to LTL. Just wondering what the true need is for city or line haul drivers at Grayslake terminal. Are they good about keeping guys running? Starting pay? How long for health insurance? Can't really afford a layoff. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Well, they need linehaul drivers more than they need city drivers at the moment. There have been some rotating cuts for city drivers, but they've been having the Chicago (technically Burr Ridge) terminal covering a lot of their linehaul work. There is supposed to be more freight coming soon due to new accounts so it will be busy in the city and linehaul soon.. I believe it's 90 days for health insurance. Starting pay is pretty decent, it was 97% of full rate when I started, not sure if it still is or not.. The full rate now is .64/mile for linehaul and 25 or 26 per hour for city. They have all new equipment over there. You could give the terminal manager (Brian) a call for more specifics 847-680-5035, option 3, ext 5750..

Well, they need linehaul drivers more than they need city drivers at the moment. There have been some rotating cuts for city drivers, but they've been having the Chicago (technically Burr Ridge) terminal covering a lot of their linehaul work. There is supposed to be more freight coming soon due to new accounts so it will be busy in the city and linehaul soon.. I believe it's 90 days for health insurance. Starting pay is pretty decent, it was 97% of full rate when I started, not sure if it still is or not.. The full rate now is .64/mile for linehaul and 25 or 26 per hour for city. They have all new equipment over there. You could give the terminal manager (Brian) a call for more specifics 847-680-5035, option 3, ext 5750..

That's exactly what I needed, Con. Thanks very much.

Con. I have an interview in Milwaukee for City driver. Do you have info on the Milwaukee Ter....? Kinda wondering why they are just looking for city, seems like a lot of LTL's starts guys on line haul? Any idea of the pay? Does saia pay overtime after 40?

Saia pays OT after 45. Milwaukee is a pass through terminal. So they probably don't have a lot of LH positions, and therefore low turnover. Lots of freight moves through Madison and Chicago, so that probably explains that.

Milwaukee hires generally hires linehaul drivers more often than they hire city drivers, but they just need city drivers for now. They still have driver(s) in Grayslake that want to transfer back to Milwaukee when they get the opportunity.. Something to consider is if you switch from city to linehaul or vice versa your seniority goes back to zero.. I'm assuming you talked to Bob about the pay already, I'm not sure what they city rate is these days..