R&L | "Great" another Dane dollie...

imported_Dubba

TB Lurker
Credits
It has come to my attention that some guys don't know how to (im)properly drain the air from a doggie dollie. Evidently some person in wilmington thinks it is fun to stand bent over draining the stupid dollie air tank in the rain/snow...

*******DISCLAIMER*********
Using this info might get you written up, fired, shot or cornholed by your TM, Mechanic or Safety. Death, dismemberment and other injuries will leave you & your next of kin penniless & destitute forever. (note- this will probably happen anyways, after all you are working for R&L ) USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

This exercise assumes a correctly hooked set of doubles with a "Doggie Dolly" inbetween the 2 big trailer thingy's.

Tractor setup-

Yellow button out, tractor parking brakes SET.

Red button left pushed in.

Trolly valve pulled down like you were doing a brake check.

At the dolly-

Shut off red & blue valves.

Remove blue & red line from rear trailer, put them in the basket with the electrical cord holding down the blue line.

Slowly turn the blue valve back on until you hear air escaping from the rear blue line.

Go crank down your landing gear, pull the 5th wheel release.

By now the air escaping from the blue line should be a much smaller amount than when you turned the valve on.

Turn the blue line off.

You will need to vent approx 5 seconds of air from the air tank to fully release the brakes.

This works on approx 95% of the great dane dollies. The ones it will not work on are unidentifiable unless you try the above procedure & it doesn't work. If you hear the low air buzzer come on in the cab, it's not gonna work on this dollie.

BOL:hide:

Why go through all that when it's just easier to drag the dang thing with out draining the air.. Who cares about flat spots on the tires besides when you run down the road it makes a real cool sound:hysterical::biglaugh:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why go through all that when it's just easier to drag the dang thing with out draining the air.. Who cares about flat spots on the tires besides when you run down the road it makes a real cool sound:hysterical::biglaugh:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Making me deadline more stuff for our **** poor tire shop... Thanks

Four words... "Send it to Wilmington"... lol Where was this?
This happened about six maybe seven years ago between STL-LOU.. If i remember correctly the trl was sent over to WIL for repairs...Guess they didn't get it fixed right lol......Yes the driver is still with us.....

Were pretty good about getting everyone else's repairs. Even terminals with shops send us lift gates. Ah we've nothing better to do I guess

I normally hang the safety chain on the cord while I'm cranking the legs down on the tail. Of course that is if the cord is still intact. If I have to hunt for the petcock... I hook the red line to the little gladhand holder on the dollie (leaving the air supply to the dollie on), pull out from under the tail, then drain the tank. It's easier then crawling under the tail, then smacking your head on the way out. :biglaugh: