FedEx Freight | "Green"

Franklin

TB Veteran
Credits
The amount of garbage our SC puts out is incredible. Cardboard, wood, plastic wrap, paper, ALL of which can be recycled. I watched a dock worker take two practically brand new 4' 4x4's and just toss them into the dumpster. Since there is a policy where people can't take wood from work because others might complain about not getting their fair share. I can say with all honesty, there is more than enough to go around.

They made this deal out of being "green". We have a couple of blue garbage cans for recycling paper. But we need like 25 of them. We don't even pretend to try to recycle. One reason is that top management at our SC couldn't care less about recycling. He's a Ru****e and probably thinks recycling is a liberal conspiracy to cut the job creators off at the knee caps.

Just wondering how other SC's do at recycling and if it's a priority or just more PR smoke.

SBN has 3 96 gallon wheeled totes that are filled to the brim with office paper and other comingled recyclables. These totes are emptied twice a month by a licensed recycling company. The terminal has also recently installed new super efficient dock lighting and office fixtures. I don't know if this is all that can be done but it's a start.

We have a 30 or 40 yard dumpster filled with wood and pallets that's emptied once a week to help fill up our landfills.

That's a good way to go green Fedex, (NOT)

This is something I have noticed too. The part that gets me is cardboard is going for (last I looked a couple months ago) $130 a ton. But our dock workers leave it on the freight and we end up taking it to our customers. Which in turn upsets the customers with this extra burden. After seeing all the damage caused by the lack of dunnage I think it's time we start keeping that dunnage and using it on our outbound trailers. If we just so happen to collect more cardboard than is being used as dunnage in our outbound trailers then we can take it right up the street to the cardboard joint and get $ for it. As it is now it either goes to customers or garbage dumpster.

One of our guys mentioned about recycling the office paper and the CCM ignored him and just said anymore questions. We could dump our compacting dumpster half as often if we recycled

This is something I have noticed too. The part that gets me is cardboard is going for (last I looked a couple months ago) $130 a ton. But our dock workers leave it on the freight and we end up taking it to our customers. Which in turn upsets the customers with this extra burden. After seeing all the damage caused by the lack of dunnage I think it's time we start keeping that dunnage and using it on our outbound trailers. If we just so happen to collect more cardboard than is being used as dunnage in our outbound trailers then we can take it right up the street to the cardboard joint and get $ for it. As it is now it either goes to customers or garbage dumpster.

So the cardboard on city trls isn't just our problem.
The dock never seem to have time to sweep out the trls as well.
Anything to slow us down as they expect more from us.

we thow away a bunch in stl also says on compactor not to do it but we fill one in two to three days

Send decent pallets our way out west. Cuz most of the original shipped on pallets are broken by the time they get here!!

Franklin,
since you obviously care deeply about recycling, why don't you become the solution? Do the legwork on a recycling program that will save the company both money and headache. Present a solution to the SCM and his boss. If both of them refuse to let you go green, send it up the ladder another notch.

ST