Grocery Chain Drivers

CenturyClass

Lead-side Recruit
Credits
Say for example the grocery chain drivers like safeway, publix, kroger, meijer or any large supermarket chain.. Do they just bump the dock and take a nap or do they have to lump cases and whatnot.And how is the pay? Just curious.:stirthepot:

If its any consolation, CC, in So Cal the Conway trucks can blow the doors off the Ralph's (Kroger) and Von's (Safeway) trucks...:)

Say for example the grocery chain drivers like safeway, publix, kroger, meijer or any large supermarket chain.. Do they just bump the dock and take a nap or do they have to lump cases and whatnot.And how is the pay? Just curious.:stirthepot:

I gotta tell you, I have seen the AWG drivers out of Springfield MO, they help doing this and that, but mostly stay out of the way, all the stores I have been at when they delivered, store employees were unloading, must be a contract thang.. ;)

Most unload with an electric pallet jack. They also help count and check in the order. Some are paid hourly, some by the load/trip, and some by mileage/stops. And then you have the third parties that run the loads for the chains(union busters)

Well, it kinda depends. I have no problem helping the guys that unload me and have a pretty good relationship with most of the stores, but I also came from a background in hauling milk and ice cream. But yes, there are some drivers that wont help at all and they do pretty well sit down and wait it out. I actually took this job because of a left foot and two blown out knees from hauling milk back when it was all pulled with a milk hook but I can't help but help.

What can I say? I like working with people. I like the customer relation part of the job. Now am I up to throwing a full trailer of groceries? Oh no! I am far too old and busted up for that! But I was young once and could throw with the best of them.....today I might break a hip! I will say this though: If you don't enjoy what you do 1. You will never be good at it and 2. You will never stick with it. I know our most recent drivers will never make it though the Holidays, they are already complaining about having to work on Thanksgiving. But this is the grocery business and it isn't for everyone. My dad was a Ralph's Grocery driver for years so I come by it honestly.

Pay is based on area and seniority, if it is a Teamster operation you will be working the extra board for a long time but on the up side you can make some serious money. Our medical (Teamcare, National Teamster Healthcare) is $10 a week for entire family, $250 deductible. Most of the pensions are pretty well gone in exchange for a 401-K plan. There is a Grocery Workers Credit Union available. A driver could do worse, it is far better than trying to ride the oil patch up and down roller coaster....no insult intended toward those who are in the oil bidness, I've done it and had it come flying apart on me.

Where I worked it was drop and switch mostly. You ran a load to the store and picked up the salvage trailer (bails, racks, etc) If it was a multiple stop, you could let the kid do it, or get r done yourself, depended on if you were in a hurry for some reason. Every chain does it different, you pretty much have to ask about a specific company

I've always wanted to work for a grocery chain. To me it would be a good private driving job. Easy and everything. But there really aren't any good chaine around here. I also wouldn't mind driving for a gas station chain doing groceries. I just dont want to work every weekend

I just called in for my superboard assignment.....Here it is coming up on Thanksgiving and nothing to do? I should be getting worked into the ground right about now!

I gotta tell you, I have seen the AWG drivers out of Springfield MO, they help doing this and that, but mostly stay out of the way, all the stores I have been at when they delivered, store employees were unloading, must be a contract thang.. ;)

Well, some of it is the driver. I don't mind helping unload but they prefer that I keep the entertainment going. Jokes about how my doctor told me I need to exercise but I can't. I start burning calories and it smells like bacon frying and I get hungry all over again. My stores love me.....when they open the back door the say things like "Oh no.....not you again"! I had one Albertsons in Texarkana ask me why I couldn't be their regular driver. I told them I didn't have enough seniority to get that bid, so I asked them why they wanted a different driver. They replied "Ours is an @$$hole".

Well, there it is. Please don't hold back, tell me how you really feel!