XPO | Group of XPO workers, labor officials to gather in protest of company practices

I know that a new hire at XPO/Conway starts accumulating vacation time as soon as they get their 90 days in. So after their initial 90 days is completed, they accumulate three (3) weeks worth of vacation time during THE FIRST YEAR OF EMPLOYMENT. So that puts a new hire at XPO six weeks worth of vacation time AHEAD of an ABF new hire, since an ABF new hire doesn't get any vacation time for two years.
And yes, you read that right..........a new hire at XPO has accumulated one weeks worth of vacation time during their first (official) four months of employment. (after their 90 is completed)

Now, couple the starting wage at XPO being over $21.00 per hour versus the $18.00 per hour starting wage at most of the union shops, and there is another incentive.

Then, a line haul driver at XPO pulls down 100k per year, and a union guy (minus their 15% pay cut) gets 85K for the same miles.

The union guys have better insurance with zero cost and overtime pay, but that's where it ends. And those added financial benefits listed above for XPO easily outweighs their cost of insurance. Especially if you don't have major medical issues.

I report........you decide.

I know that a new hire at XPO/Conway starts accumulating vacation time as soon as they get their 90 days in. So after their initial 90 days is completed, they accumulate three (3) weeks worth of vacation time during THE FIRST YEAR OF EMPLOYMENT. So that puts a new hire at XPO six weeks worth of vacation time AHEAD of an ABF new hire, since an ABF new hire doesn't get any vacation time for two years.
And yes, you read that right..........a new hire at XPO has accumulated one weeks worth of vacation time during their first (official) four months of employment. (after their 90 is completed)

Now, couple the starting wage at XPO being over $21.00 per hour versus the $18.00 per hour starting wage at most of the union shops, and there is another incentive.

Then, a line haul driver at XPO pulls down 100k per year, and a union guy (minus their 15% pay cut) gets 85K for the same miles.

The union guys have better insurance with zero cost and overtime pay, but that's where it ends. And those added financial benefits listed above for XPO easily outweighs their cost of insurance. Especially if you don't have major medical issues.

I report........you decide.
You use yrc company's as a example, what about ups package/ freight? Or abf for that matter we are now back to where we were 4 years ago as of 7/1/16 Yes the vacation is pathetic & I don't see it staying that way because they cant attract any talent. As for getting 3 weeks vacation after the first year of employment I'm having a hard time believing that....

You use yrc company's as a example, what about ups package/ freight?
UPS is out in their own league, so I never use them as an example.

Or abf for that matter we are now back to where we were 4 years ago as of 7/1/16
I heard that, and that's great news.

Yes the vacation is pathetic & I don't see it staying that way because they cant attract any talent.
That wreaks of selfishness on the part of the veterans at ABF. That should have NEVER been allowed to pass.

As for getting 3 weeks vacation after the first year of employment I'm having a hard time believing that....
With all due respect, it doesn't matter what you think. It's fact.

But to be clear, you said "after" the first year of employment. That is NOT accurate and that's not what I said.
Follow me here.......the vacation time starts accruing immediately after the new employee's 90 days has been completed. And for every week worked after the 90 days, the employee gets something like 2.3 hours of vacation time added to their collection. To simplify it, those hours add up to one week of vacation accumulated over each four month span (17 weeks), during their first year of employment.

17 weeks, times 2.3 hours per week, equals 39.1 hours of vacation time. So my numbers are real close.

UPS is out in their own league, so I never use them as an example.

I heard that, and that's great news.

That wreaks of selfishness on the part of the veterans at ABF. That should have NEVER been allowed to pass.

With all due respect, it doesn't matter what you think. It's fact.

But to be clear, you said "after" the first year of employment. That is NOT accurate and that's not what I said.
Follow me here.......the vacation time starts accruing immediately after the new employee's 90 days has been completed. And for every week worked after the 90 days, the employee gets something like 2.3 hours of vacation time added to their collection. To simplify it, those hours add up to one week of vacation accumulated over each four month span (17 weeks), during their first year of employment.

17 weeks, times 2.3 hours per week, equals 39.1 hours of vacation time. So my numbers are real close.

I agree with all your numbers except one thing that is for sure not fair is that a friend in Florida that works for XPO also does not get any overtime until after 50 hours. Doing the simple math rounding up on numbers to keep it simple they miss out on $130.00 worth of OT each week or $130.00 X 50 = $6500.00 on the year . There is no guarantee of hours but while on vacation visiting we talked about city hours and he averages about 54 a week. This needs to be fixed work is working no matter where you live and trust me the traffic was terrible. He earned every penny.

. As for getting 3 weeks vacation after the first year of employment I'm having a hard time believing that....
I can assure you, it starts accruing after 90 days, and it adds up to 3 weeks at the END of the first year and 90 days.

I agree with all your numbers except one thing that is for sure not fair is that a friend in Florida that works for XPO also does not get any overtime until after 50 hours. Doing the simple math rounding up on numbers to keep it simple they miss out on $130.00 worth of OT each week or $130.00 X 50 = $6500.00 on the year . There is no guarantee of hours but while on vacation visiting we talked about city hours and he averages about 54 a week. This needs to be fixed work is working no matter where you live and trust me the traffic was terrible. He earned every penny.
Do the southern union drivers get OT After 40?

I agree that every company should have to pay overtime after 40, or better yet, after 8 on a daily basis. But unfortunately many of them don't until after at least 50 hrs. And it's no secret that those who have o/t set at 50 and after 60 hours, make dang sure that people don't go over on a regular basis.
I think that they are ripping off the employees, but that's just my opinion.

No. They get overtime after 8, on a daily basis. Cha-Ching.

SORRY my friend, there is no overtime after 8 or after 40 Their overtime begins after 50! Just called my friend in Florida to verify he has been with the company over 20 years; for sure nothing after 8 or 40 nothing until 50!!

I can assure you, it starts accruing after 90 days, and it adds up to 3 weeks at the END of the first year and 90 days.

Do the southern union drivers get OT After 40?
Not they do not. They recieve OT after 8 hrs, unless they are on a 4 day 10 hr bid. Then they recieve it after 10.

He said Southern UNION drivers. Oh yes they do.

You must be talking about XPO drivers. Either that, or your friend is wrong.

Yes my BAD I was speaking to XPO drivers in the southern zone; Sorry missed the U word; I was commenting on Con-way / XPO drivers in the south that have lost a lot of money due to the unfair OT rules inside the corporation. Has nothing to do with where you live or cost of living in different map location it has to do with doing the right thing when people work long hours!

Yes my BAD I was speaking to XPO drivers in the southern zone; Sorry missed the U word; I was commenting on Con-way / XPO drivers in the south that have lost a lot of money due to the unfair OT rules inside the corporation. Has nothing to do with where you live or cost of living in different map location it has to do with doing the right thing when people work long hours!
If you work past your 8 hours you should be compensated for it, it's not your fault the company (tm) can't adjust to the work load.

I have never liked the no ot rule in the south. Never understood why.

At ABF 7% was restored as of 7/1/16 they put 12,000+ per year into my pension ( I'm not in cspf) top of the line health coverage (no contribution toward it) they just bought 650 new tractors & I don't know the #s on trailers & but I see a lot of new ones. The loss of the weeks vacation blows & is hurting them in attracting new drivers. Other then that they don't ride you like most places.
My bad 7% will be restored 7/1/17 were @ 5% restored $24.10

I have never liked the no ot rule in the south. Never understood why.
I'll clarify that, just for accuracy purposes.
It's actually not a "no o/t rule". Some companies have their overtime beginning at 50 hours, and some even have it beginning at 60 hours.
Both suck, and I think that it's thievery, (:2437:) But just trying to be accurate with our info.