XPO | Group of XPO workers, labor officials to gather in protest of company practices

A few quotes from a driver about his experience with his union

How do we keep going over and over this?
As far as anyone can tell , union and non-union drivers go through the same UPS and DOWNS - if you're happy where you are , great! If you want to go elsewhere for a better deal , go for it.

Good and bad things happen on both sides , nothing is perfect.
again not the unions fault there has been greviences filed time and time again do i agree we do need to tighten up on the language in the contract and let me ask this you voted on last contract here in milwaukee wi we voted it down twice so did your terminal vote to pass it also you have a great medical plan great pay the union negotiated these things for you so before you throw stones ask yourself how did i vote you have a process it will work it self out

The government took the pension over because of Teamster corruption. If the Teamsters had done the job they were entrusted to do, the government wouldn't have taken over.
The Teamsters allowed UPS to withdraw from the pension fund. They need members to fund the pension, and somehow, the Teamster leaders thought it was a good idea to let members out of it?
UPS paid about 6 BILLION dollars to get out of the pension, and it would appear, the people in charge mismanaged the money.
That's just a few of the things my research revealed. These decision stole money from the members pockets. Sadly, I assume the same people that made those bad decisions, are still getting rich off the union member's backs and they probably don't worry about their retirement.
I am going to reply to your reply in sequence
1: Yes the government did place the central states pension fund in trusteeship. However, that was due to the entire Teamsters orginization being placed under federal trusteeship for racketeering and corruption, and the pension fund was included because it involved financial contributions on behalf of the membership that were participants in cspf. At the time of the fund being placed under trusteeship, the IRS also ordered a directive to the fund to issue a 13th check to retirees so the government could get the extra tax revenue. That was all due to the cspf being approximately 120% funded at the time. Also at that time the cspf was forced to up retirees monthly payments and introduce formulas of 25 years and out and 30 years and out at any age. Factor in the damage inflicted on the Teamsters due to deregulation of the trucking industry (that brought massive company closures) and the recipe for disaster was made.

2: The Teamsters had no choice but to let UPS withdraw from cspf. Any employer that comes forward with a check in hand for the amount of their withdrawl liability has the LEGAL RIGHT to withdraw. The Teamsters, or any other union signatory to cspf, can do nothing to keep that from happening. And it was also done within the constitution of the Teamsters union, each and every dues paying member employed by UPS had a vote in the matter, and the majority of UPS employees voted in favor of withdrawing from cspf. The Teamsters are a Democracy, the members get a vote on any and all changes to contractual obligations.

3: UPS paid somewhere in the ballpark of 6.1 BILLION ( alot of $ ) for their withdrawl. Was the money mismanaged? There have been many different analysts opinions on the issue and they do vary, that makes it inconclusive. However, at that time a perfect storm was brewing in Wall Street and the manufacturing sector aka "the recession", and nobady saw that coming. Couple that with the amount of retirees getting a monthly check outnumbering the amount of actives having contributions made, the math is easy to do. And yes there are some Wall Street fat cats out there that got fat on our dime, but if there was any link to Teamster leadership they would have already been removed from office and brought up on both internal and criminal charges by now.

None of my reply makes for juicy reproach against the Teamsters Union, but it is factual. And you can rest assure that Brad Jacobs and his band of cronies would never circulate the facts, they are much happier with their enslaved employees being in the dark. Joining the Teamsters is the only option you people have to get security in the workplace and our entire industry. You all work too hard to be mistreated and disrespected.

Absolutely!
He is no different than any corporate executive. {AKA: Thief.}
The Teamsters Union is audited by both the federal government and from within. If anyone were stealing they would eventually be caught. When you guys become Teamsters you will get a monthly magazine from the union that has updates on many different doings and subjects. In the back of the magazine are names of members and leadership that have been brought up on charges, and the charges that they are facing. This information is very transparent and available to the membership. The old days of corruption are a thing of the past for a long time now. Next time you see a Teamster ask him / her to get you a copy, or you can stop in to any Teamster local and im sure they'd be happy to give you a copy.

As I read through this I see valid points on both sides. I have worked for 20 years under the Teamsters and it was my first union job. It was where the pay was the best at the time. Since then health insurance has gone to hell all over the country except for where I am now and I am fortunate enough to have been around for the best years for the pension for the fund I am in and it is safe for some six more years or so but what happens then remains to be seen. All of that being said, Teamsters L200 I have seen my fair share of the Teamsters Union and they suck, they eat ::shit:: and I would neither blame anyone for not wanting to sign up nor would I advocate for them to do so. Just take a look at the sorry piece of ::shit:: that Hoffa and company wrote for UPS freight. First year no paid holidays, no 8 hour guarantee etc, etc, etc. ABF, no sick days for new hires 'til they're on the list as of Jan 1 of that year, no vacation for 2 years then one week 'til 8 years of seniority. All those assholes are interested in is keeping their jobs, the most important grievances, the ones that would cost the company serious money get ignored, never to be heard from again. I speak with knowledge and experience and there is nothing that you can do or say that will erase what I have seen and endured. As it stands today the Teamsters Union sucks from top (Hoffa and Co.) to bottom (the Local). :soapbox:

As I read through this I see valid points on both sides. I have worked for 20 years under the Teamsters and it was my first union job. It was where the pay was the best at the time. Since then health insurance has gone to hell all over the country except for where I am now and I am fortunate enough to have been around for the best years for the pension for the fund I am in and it is safe for some six more years or so but what happens then remains to be seen. All of that being said, Teamsters L200 I have seen my fair share of the Teamsters Union and they suck, they eat :::shit::: and I would neither blame anyone for not wanting to sign up nor would I advocate for them to do so. Just take a look at the sorry piece of :::shit::: that Hoffa and company wrote for UPS freight. First year no paid holidays, no 8 hour guarantee etc, etc, etc. ABF, no sick days for new hires 'til they're on the list as of Jan 1 of that year, no vacation for 2 years then one week 'til 8 years of seniority. All those assholes are interested in is keeping their jobs, the most important grievances, the ones that would cost the company serious money get ignored, never to be heard from again. I speak with knowledge and experience and there is nothing that you can do or say that will erase what I have seen and endured. As it stands today the Teamsters Union sucks from top (Hoffa and Co.) to bottom (the Local). :soapbox:
First off no eight hour guarantee article 18 section 2 is the eight hour for the other yes holidays need to be taken care of in the next contract and are you still in the union or working some where else if you have stayed why may i ask was it for pay benefits protections your weeks of vacation or the great medical so if you want to bash go ahead because if you are still under a contract you have more rights then an XPO driver so i say to you if you hate the union so much why stay

+++++

And I hear union people say they don't want to chance their money in a 401k because of a volatile stock market. Seems to me that while managing a 401k might require a little more responsibility from the employee, at least they have some control in their future. Pension benefits these days, aren't worth the paper they're printed on.
Mines doing very well and the fund is in great shape.

Well the company could no longer meet there demands. TNT RED STAR.

What I don't get is why do the teamster always what it's members to vote Democrat? I could never understand why a organization like the teamster would stand behind and vote for a party the put teamster pres in jail (Hoffa). The dem party did everything to break up the unions. Then Pres. Carter signed the Motor Carrier Act of 1980 which deregulated the trucking industry. Then next came Obama with Obamacare that the unions praised until they found out that the unions had to follow the law just like everyone else. I can't forget about the first black president bill Clinton the one who sign the Northern American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) IN 1993 and now their scratching there head wandering why union job are leaving this country. So you ask me how the teamster have been talking us out of jobs here are some prime example they have been doing for year by tell their member who to veto for.
The Teamsters have always supported both parties, maybe not to the same extent. They want to say I supported you now you can help me not unlike most every corporation in America. The Teamsters endorsed Ronald Reagan when he ran.

It is an honest question so why not answer it instead avoiding it
Here's an honest question for you. Arkansas Best Corporation is a growing company with several entities under their umbrella. We got a shiny new POS contract courtesy of Hoffa and Co., which included bonuses and protection of revenue from which the bonuses should be derived and that there can be no shuffling of the revenues to circumvent paying the bonus. i e their Timekeeper service. Subsequent to the signing of the contract ABF shuffled that Timekeeper revenue out of the hands of ABF Freight and into the hands of Panther, a non union subsidiary. Now, ABF still picks up, transfers and delivers the Timekeeper shipments but they do so as a subcontractor for Panther and the profits go to Panther and are not included in the calculations for the bonus. A grievance was filed on this action, a blatant violation of our 'contract', which affects every single Teamster with the company, not just one man and Hoffa has done nothing with it. Why not? Why don't you march up to his office on the 4th floor and get some data on that for us?

The Teamsters Union is audited by both the federal government and from within. If anyone were stealing they would eventually be caught. When you guys become Teamsters you will get a monthly magazine from the union that has updates on many different doings and subjects. In the back of the magazine are names of members and leadership that have been brought up on charges, and the charges that they are facing. This information is very transparent and available to the membership. The old days of corruption are a thing of the past for a long time now. Next time you see a Teamster ask him / her to get you a copy, or you can stop in to any Teamster local and im sure they'd be happy to give you a copy.
If the old days of corruption were over, they wouldn't be listed in the back of the monthly rag

The Teamsters have always supported both parties, maybe not to the same extent. They want to say I supported you now you can help me not unlike most every corporation in America. The Teamsters endorsed Ronald Reagan when he ran.

And Reagan "fired" the pilots thereby reducing the effectiveness of the threat of "striking" for future generations. I am a little young to opinionate on the 80's so I apologize if this is not accurate but that's how I remember it.

I guess the other side of that question could be,if you want to work for a union company so bad,why not apply at one.I think about all of them are trying to recruit drivers..:hide:
It definitely is and that demonstrates the mentality of the guy.

First off no eight hour guarantee article 18 section 2 is the eight hour for the other yes holidays need to be taken care of in the next contract and are you still in the union or working some where else if you have stayed why may i ask was it for pay benefits protections your weeks of vacation or the great medical so if you want to bash go ahead because if you are still under a contract you have more rights then an XPO driver so i say to you if you hate the union so much why stay
I have another thing you can address while you're in Jimmy's office...we're all looking for our contracts. I know where to find mine on the internet but the YRC guys in the Western Supplement are trying to figure out what's in theirs, it isn't even listed on the website.

I have a brilliant idea, how 'bout you guys just plain old provide us with some representation and we'll spread the word about how good you are?

If the union offered a better product, then there would be lines to get those union jobs.

If the union offered protection from the corporations the way the claim, instead of being another corporation offering protection for the corporations, then there would be lines to get those jobs.

If the union did actually honor their contracts and grievances against the company, then there would be lines to get those jobs.

It's just to many lies and not enough truth. This Teamster's L200 guy is a big part of the problem with the union mentality. He'd rather talk about how good things are where he is or how bad things are where you are and compare what coulda woulda shoulda been instead of putting forth the effort to make his way the better way to go.

Also, the Teamsters had Con-way if they wanted it. Three years ago. It was here for the taking. Teamsters wanted no part of it. They dropped the ball. Almost all them drivers are gone now. Disgusted with the death of Con-way, they took their CDL with them and moved on.