Holland | Guess how many miles

Stimpy

Wingnut
Credits
Guess how many miles are on this rim....

lRap2bv.jpg

Wow, man. You'd need to not notice a lot of cracks for this to happen.

I'm guessing whoever this happened to only knows how to check left front steer tires, using super trucker peripheral vision in the 2 seconds it takes to walk past it.

My guess is an improper mount
Lugs not centered on holes.
Doing a thorough pre-trip inspection must be someting of the past. That crack at 11 o'clock position was an old crack (notice the rust on the crack - new cracks are not filled with rust). I guess too many drivers are afraid they are going to lose their assigned tractor if they write something up and/or refuse to drive it for a safety defect. Dangerous stuff, especially on the steering. Should have been "red-tagged" until wheel changed.

Was told this was on a newer freightliner.
The orange wheels suggest otherwise. As lazy as Holland can be with maintenance, they're usually pretty good about putting orange wheels on tractors and trailers that had them before. They have gray wheels for the newer stuff.

An exception would be the ex-Penske trucks, some of which got orange wheels when the white ones came off. Regardless, this wheel looks like it came off a Sterling. It's older and rustier than anything I've seen on Holland equipment recently.

The orange wheels suggest otherwise. As lazy as Holland can be with maintenance, they're usually pretty good about putting orange wheels on tractors and trailers that had them before. They have gray wheels for the newer stuff.

An exception would be the ex-Penske trucks, some of which got orange wheels when the white ones came off. Regardless, this wheel looks like it came off a Sterling. It's older and rustier than anything I've seen on Holland equipment recently.

Oh, they've been good for putting rusted out wheels on the newer stuff including the 2015-17 models lately.

Oh, they've been good for putting rusted out wheels on the newer stuff including the 2015-17 models lately.
Could be I'm just not seeing it. I've only ever been to the Detroit terminal and between what's there and what they send to Canada the wheels aren't bad. Some old Speedy trailers have wheels covered in rust, but the Holland equipment I've seen is sound.

What's always funny for me is when I pick up a Speedy trailer with an orange wheel on it. Holland usually puts them on the inside so it doesn't look completely stupid, but a thorough inspection always notices. Speedy takes them off next inspection and ships them back to Holland.