Central Transport | hand books

just wanted to add this so all can read the legal terms..... this only applies to Wisconsin

175.60(15m) EMPLOYER RESTRICTIONS. (a) Except as provided in par. (b), an employer may prohibit a licensee or an out-of-state licensee that it
employs from carrying a concealed weapon or a particular type of concealed weapon in the course of the licensee’s or out-of-state licensee’s employment
or during any part of the licensee’s or out-of-state licensee’s course of employment.
(b) An employer may not prohibit a licensee or an out-of-state licensee, as a condition of employment, from carrying a concealed weapon, a particular
type of concealed weapon, or ammunition or from storing a weapon, a particular type of weapon, or ammunition in the licensee’s or out-of-state licensee’s
own motor vehicle, regardless of whether the motor vehicle is used in the course of employment or whether the motor vehicle is driven or parked on property
used by the employer

Let's drop the subject now,,,,,,,,,,, considering what has happened in the last few years with high profile violence with guns, i am not comfortable talking about this anymore, face to face fine, but not online :1036316054:

Did anyone read PG. 50 about radar detectors? Radar detectors are not permitted in company equipment OR in your possession on company property at any time. Are they trying to say I can't have one in my personal vehicle parked in their parking lot or I will be fired? What a crock of s***.

maybe i should'nt bring up the firearms that are in a couple of drivers trunk.

Yep, 1 driver at our terminal got one of those letters about working over the 60 hour limit. i should have 3 of them for the weeks before Christmas, but have not seen or heard of me getting any. I think our TM squashed them, because we never knew what the rule was to begin with until they sent out the Safety Alert Letter last week. It was our understanding you could work up to 62.5 hrs and not over. Now they say nothing over 57.5 hrs. Supposedly, the 70/8 expired on Aug. 31, 2012.

Hey lisa, come early spring, around the end of the 1st quarter, he should get a call from one of the companies he applies for. I would encourage him to fill one out for ODFL,SEFL, fed ex freight, or if he dont mind working the dock UPGF. but anyways good luck, it tok me a while before i got a new outfit to give this young steering wheel holder a chance.

Yep, 1 driver at our terminal got one of those letters about working over the 60 hour limit. i should have 3 of them for the weeks before Christmas, but have not seen or heard of me getting any. I think our TM squashed them, because we never knew what the rule was to begin with until they sent out the Safety Alert Letter last week. It was our understanding you could work up to 62.5 hrs and not over. Now they say nothing over 57.5 hrs. Supposedly, the 70/8 expired on Aug. 31, 2012.
it depends on who you are if you get one of these or not. some managers even let you fill out edit sheets, so it looks good before it goes to corporate or adjust it on computer before submitting it.

it depends on who you are if you get one of these or not. some managers even let you fill out edit sheets, so it looks good before it goes to corporate or adjust it on computer before submitting it.

i knew one terminal near me that the top 3 were always near 70 every week on P&D, so i don't think the rule is set in concrete. maybe it also helped they were busy all them hours too, they could not find more drivers, and well, someone's gotta cover the freight despite the hours.

i knew one terminal near me that the top 3 were always near 70 every week on P&D, so i don't think the rule is set in concrete. maybe it also helped they were busy all them hours too, they could not find more drivers, and well, someone's gotta cover the freight despite the hours.
Many enter working dock, when actually they are driving.

back to the handbooks,,after reading 3 times in 3 days,,, we will not discuss weapons

1) dock worker to be shutting doors to signify ready to pull out? does not say if they mean everyone or not. will not work on P&D, at my place it is ONLY us who does this AFTER we put our jack in and check any tie downs
2) medical card only issues by Vitran authorized center? violation of federal law there. anyone who is authorized by holding a fed med provider permit (online database) to do physicals may do anyone from any company, and company cannot refuse it (you will have to pay yourself if you do not use their provider) only the MRO at the FMCSA level may vacate a fed med card's status.
3) radar detectors? where did this come from? if you are from a jurisdiction that prohibits these even in your personal vehicle (Wash DC for one) then yes they can fire you since this would be an illegal possession case. but what if it is legal there (i do not even own one BTW) i do not see where they can say anything about it. Are you going to not allow me to carry road fuses in my pickup in case of a roadside emergency coming or going to work because you think they might self ignite in the parking lot?
4) workman's comp issues. that is why it says depending on your state, so if you don't know, i would check it out in case something happens. here, in my state, the patient decides everything, and company interference is criminal (I choose Dr A and they say DR B or they won't pay) i am sure Vitran's workman's comp people know this anyway, that is why it says depending on your state.

3) radar detectors? where did this come from? if you are from a jurisdiction that prohibits these even in your personal vehicle (Wash DC for one) then yes they can fire you since this would be an illegal possession case. but what if it is legal there (i do not even own one BTW) i do not see where they can say anything about it. Are you going to not allow me to carry road fuses in my pickup in case of a roadside emergency coming or going to work because you think they might self ignite in the parking lot?

If you are parking on company property they can fire you for possessing anything that they don't want you to have..."on company property"

Since I am a newbie to V, almost 2 yrs now. We knew that we could fill out an edit sheet if we were over the 14 hr rule. Not punch out, fill out edit sheet, then get paid later for the hour or so you could not put on the clock that day. Typically after P&D was done and then TM or evening supervisor would want you to do extra work. It always seemed that only 4 of us were having to do the far deliveries and everybody else is able to do the shorter ones. I liked the $$$$ so, I kept doing them. Now I see that my best week can only be 57.5. Bummer.

Since I am a newbie to V, almost 2 yrs now. We knew that we could fill out an edit sheet if we were over the 14 hr rule. Not punch out, fill out edit sheet, then get paid later for the hour or so you could not put on the clock that day. Typically after P&D was done and then TM or evening supervisor would want you to do extra work. It always seemed that only 4 of us were having to do the far deliveries and everybody else is able to do the shorter ones. I liked the $$$$ so, I kept doing them. Now I see that my best week can only be 57.5. Bummer.
Do you not have a time clock in which you punch in and out with your finger print? The clock that let's you chose whether you are working the dock or driving? If you are in P&D you can clock in on the dock and it not count as driving (pay is the same) even if you are driving. Of course we would never do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not here, it would actually be a crime to terminate someone here over this if they have the permit, it is in our law they can be fined big time and the one firing you can be charged with a crime for breaking your state given rights. I have not heard of that happening yet, and i will not be the first one. My guns are home in a 1300lb safe opened only for hunting outings (the only one behind my bedroom door is for a different kind of hunting within my castle, don't test me). AGAIN, i DO NOT advocate doing no matter what the company says, i stress that statement so no one things i am a crazed lunatic going on a rampage or hiding guns under the seat in my pickup!! i am just quoting what the law specifies due to finding other things Vitran advocated which are in violation of my state or the fed laws. I can also carry within the 1000 foot school prohibited zone, provided i am there to pick up or drop off my blood related kids (but not allowed to enter school grounds with vehicle or exit my vehicle even on public street) cannot enter any business that has a no weapons sign posted, cannot enter any business who is in business of retail sale for consumption on premises of alcohol (bar is a no no, wal mart ok since you do not drink there,,,, or at least i hope you don't) any government establishment (city hall, court, police station, post office, va and dmv offices are all covered under fed jurisdiction (fed felony,,,,ouch) but anyway, like i said, i have the training and the permit, it is tucked away in my lock box, but never used.
NW explained all of this...You need to read. We agreed to not discuss this subject any longer in the wake of all the tragic things that happened. Each state is different...Please drop it.

Yes, we have the fingerprint time clock. My occasional over 14 hrs was do to delivering extra loads, as a favor to TM or super. They told me not to punch out and to do an edit sheet if I got back later than 14 hrs.I eventually got paid for the hour when I worked less than a 12 hours day, not requiring a log. The rule now as I understand it, is time punched in, to time punched out, which includes your lunch break. Just do not work over 57.5 hrs. So, as I see it, I can not work 5 -12 hr days anymore. That's the *****. I liked my occassional 58 - 59 hr weeks.

Yes, we have the fingerprint time clock. My occasional over 14 hrs was do to delivering extra loads, as a favor to TM or super. They told me not to punch out and to do an edit sheet if I got back later than 14 hrs.I eventually got paid for the hour when I worked less than a 12 hours day, not requiring a log. The rule now as I understand it, is time punched in, to time punched out, which includes your lunch break. Just do not work over 57.5 hrs. So, as I see it, I can not work 5 -12 hr days anymore. That's the *****. I liked my occassional 58 - 59 hr weeks.

Yepper. If you work more than 6 hours (on Chronos time clock) you automatically get deducted 30 minutes for lunch with no choice, work it and you are working off the clock for free. Vitran's limit on P&D is 60 hours minus 30 minutes a day, or, 57.5 hours a week