Happy Thanksgiving but not for everyone

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Magoo, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Magoo

Magoo You don't have to be Einstein to figure it out

For poor, America is 'land of less' this Thanksgiving

We're going to see a lot of soup kitchens on the news this Holiday Season.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Washington (AFP) - The United States celebrates its "land of plenty" Thanksgiving Day this week, but for the poor and most vulnerable, there is less food on the table after Congress cut aid.

And lawmakers aimed at trimming the US budget deficit are contemplating more cuts to food stamps for the poor -- formally the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program -- an initiative that helps feed almost 48 million, or one in seven Americans.
    Under the SNAP cuts, a four-person household, for example, loses $36 a month, or about 21 meals, according to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities.
    "Talk about 'Les Miserables' in America," Leonard Edwards, an unemployed food stamps recipient, told AFP.

Shame on us.

2. Northern Flash

Northern Flash Piss on our Flag, get a boycott against you.

The middle class has always been a big contributer/donor to the poor, downtrodden, and the soup kitchens. So how does the fact that the Govt. has their hand in the middle class' pocket help these people? That's right.....it don't. You think that these poor people only survive on Govt. assistance. I disagree. The middle class put a lot toward helping support these folks. Now the middle class will have to prioritize.......Pay their ObamaCare bill, or donate to the needy?

Take a guess which one I am forced to choose.

3. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

With 93 Million people taken of the rolls of eligible employment sure we will see more people in need this season.. Wouldn't it have been great to actually have a thriving economy to help all those in need more than having all those people look to government

4. Northern Flash

This is just more proof that "what the Govt. giveth, the Govt. can taketh away".

Policies that are employer friendly create jobs. With a job, the Govt. has a harder time putting the shaft to you.

5. Ice Rider

Ice Rider Well-Known Member

No---- Shame on you Mags,
    for supporting a guy that has added tens of thousands to those soup kitchen lines and to the food stamp rolls, there were far less on those programs before your guy came into power. If he had concentrated on "creating jobs" like he promised he would, instead of pushing through a liberal agenda that created ZERO jobs we would have far less on those programs. I feel no shame, I have done my part, I have supported those I have brought into this world...and then some, I have donated to good causes and in spite of your king I have managed to make a living ---so far. I received notice two weeks ago that my health insurance will be cancelled on 1-1-14 though it has covered my leukemia for 4.5 years, 3 major surgeries for my wife, the birth of my son and every medical need that we ever had...I LIKED MY DOCTOR and I LIKED MY PLAN and I AM LOSING BOTH. I hope Obama chokes on a turkey bone.

Happy Thanksgiving to those hard working self sufficient men and women out there that struggle day in and day out to support yourself and your families, working day and night, weekends and holidays, missing family events like this holiday and base ball, soccer and football games, God bless you all.

To those who had more kids than they could support, who sit around smoking cigarettes, drinking,and doing drugs waiting for another tax payer funded check to arrive, to those who can work but choose to sit on a corner with a homeless sign begging for money to buy alcohol or drugs..... LIFE IS TOUGH, BUT IT IS EVEN TOUGHER WHEN YOU ARE STUPID!

6. SuperCourse

SuperCourse WHO IS JOHN GALT?

I don't feel any shame. Wrote a check to the Salvation Army just last night. They were passing out Thankgiving baskets with turkeys and all the fixings to the needy. A very efficient operation that maximizes the dollars they receive. You can go ahead and do it your way Magoo, the IRS won't turn down your check, send it in so it can disappear into the black hole of huge government bureaucracy where 2 cents on the dollar will actually do any good.

7. kantgetryte

kantgetryte Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

And that's all I'm gonna say about that!

8. righturnclyde

righturnclyde Member

Happy Thanksgiving to all the None Obama supporters. You Obama supporters, hope you ..............!

9. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Active Member

10. dcmilkwagon

dcmilkwagon Armed, not a victim

You want to blame someone? Look in the mirror, progressive liberals are the reason we have so many "poor" people here in America.

11. Jeff

Jeff Administrator

12. Magoo

Actually the economy crashed when the previous President was in the office, considering you guys all had jobs these past years consider the guy running the show now has been doing something right.
    If we kept losing jobs like it was under Bushs last months none of your would have a job now, not a one.

13. dcmilkwagon

dcmilkwagon Armed, not a victim

I didn't mean your god barry......go further back in history, to let's say Roosevelt.

14. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Active Member

"a chicken in every pot" he said, but left out the part about who is paying for the chickens.

15. SuperCourse

SuperCourse WHO IS JOHN GALT?

The financial crisis was the result of bad mortgages. I'd be interested to hear your explaination of what Bush did to encourage this activity.

16. Northern Flash

Chris Dodd and Bowney Fwank are probably Republicans by now......if you were to listen to the Left's spin.

17. Magoo

you said : 'You want to blame someone? Look in the mirror, progressive liberals are the reason we have so many "poor" people here in America."

People are poor because the jobs they have if they do have don't pay enough.
    This could be for many reasons but it their jobs don't pay there will be the working poor.
    I think this is largely a function that people have little control over.
    Working people don't make corporate decisions or have votes on the boards, they have their labor to trade, thats about all they have.
    Unless they organize into labor unions they have little voice.
    So what ever this country has become has been the result of the moneyed class who control where goods are made and who makes them..
    For instance if Boeing decides to build plants in China what can you do about it as a worker who may lose his job.
    Only really organised workers could possibly do anything about it.
    Thats why I say its the money people who decide your future.

So I see on here often Obama increased Food Stamps and this and that.
    Heres what I ask you would you say let them eat cake or provide those without something.
    This is Conservatism give them nothing let them work, but if there is no work they can do what you told them is you might as well go to crime or revolution because we wont' give you a nickle.
    The Wealthy don't need much labor in this country but they sure will be glad you are here if we got into a really nasty war.
    Their love would pour out for the common folk then.

18. Northern Flash

It's not about a few of us members here on TB. It's about the Country. The numbers prove that we've spent trillions of dollars on "shovel ready" jobs, and there still aren't any full time jobs. Maybe if Barack Hussein Carter hadn't wasted the money on his green energy scams and kickbacks, these people that you started this thread about could be having a better Thanksgiving.

19. Magoo

He was President for 8 years & Republicans controlled Congress for 12 years in as row.
    So what your saying is they had no input in the matter.
    Thats very interesting I will consider it:coffee1:

20. cmsdock

cmsdock Active Member

Exactly but it's always the conservative at fault because they don't want to share or this or that.