ABF | Harrisburg June 20, 2017, 1 P.M.: Right-To-Work Is Wrong Rally

while it is true the Teamsters have issues, RTW would effect all unions not just the Teamsters.
How does it effect a union that puts workers first? Rite now in union states the union can bend over and let a company tell them,"the union" what to do and the union just wants to keep dues flowing. What keeps the union in check? I know we can vote against a contract but what about how the union treated Louisville? The IBT just changed the rules on them and hung them out to dry. That's :horseshit: and you know it as well as I do. They are getting away with murder and have been for a while.
What about the pension crap? They have known we have been in the red when I started in 2001 and did nothing but promise they would fix it. Where were they then? Nothing has been done until 2014 and they knew in at least 2001 that the government could change the rules to screw us all. I want accountability and no one seems to care that they seen it coming and nothing was done.

How does it effect a union that puts workers first? Rite now in union states the union can bend over and let a company tell them,"the union" what to do and the union just wants to keep dues flowing. What keeps the union in check? I know we can vote against a contract but what about how the union treated Louisville? The IBT just changed the rules on them and hung them out to dry. That's :horseshit: and you know it as well as I do. They are getting away with murder and have been for a while.
What about the pension crap? They have known we have been in the red when I started in 2001 and did nothing but promise they would fix it. Where were they then? Nothing has been done until 2014 and they knew in at least 2001 that the government could change the rules to screw us all. I want accountability and no one seems to care that they seen it coming and nothing was done.
If nobody paid dues and received the benefits of union representation there would be no union. Why should a person feel entitled to union representation without paying for it? I'm not talking about what Hoffa has done to the teamsters, they are just one union, what about IBEW,IAM,UAW, why should they be penalized for something the teamsters have done?

If nobody paid dues and received the benefits of union representation there would be no union. Why should a person feel entitled to union representation without paying for it? I'm not talking about what Hoffa has done to the teamsters, they are just one union, what about IBEW,IAM,UAW, why should they be penalized for something the teamsters have done?

Because it's 2017 and a lot of other unions bend over for the company as well. Lots of shops are organized for the benefit of the union, not the members.locals love their shops that they never get a grievance from, easy dues.

Last edited:
You guys make good points about paying dues for lack of representation. I fear that the RTW crowd is leading us down the garden path, though. They don't want RTW for the worker's benefit,..... they want it to de-fund and emasculate organized labor....

However, I understand about the frustration of dealing with arrogant and unresponsive Union officials. Is RTW our only recourse....... or is it the easiest recourse? I've always been an advocate of taking our Union back... one Local at a time... That takes a lot of time and effort, though......

I'd sure hate to see the idea of Unionism fold and go under because some shyster group of lawyers concocted a scheme to help us defeat ourselves.......

What's the German word? ......" Gotterdammerung"........ Last act of Wagner's Ring cycle.......... destruction of everything......

Is RTW our only recourse.......
I see it as our last recourse. I figure that you do know that there are RTW states where workers are not forced to pay anything into the union. In those states freight has not had a problem with non paying workers. However, that does surprise me given the level of representation we have gotten of late.

Go work at a shop that has a known sweetheart contract and file a grievance, see where that gets you.
You're basing your response on everything you have seen in a teamster shop, what experiences have you had outside of the teamsters? I've been in three unions in my working career, The teamsters in the early seventies were a much better union than they are now IBEW was and still is the strongest union I was in. IATSE is still a strong union. What about the Longshoresman union? are they weak? How about the pilots union are they weak? don't base your response on one union it effects all unions.

Lol, show me the longshoremen or iatse local in buffalo. UaW I'm in right now, and it's a known sweetheart contract, our production guys are cheaper than stamping body parts in mexico, for now. The drivers do good, but so do all our nonunion steelhauler competition, so no bargaining power there, either. All the unions do at this point us get you market rate and charge dues money.

Lol, show me the longshoremen or iatse local in buffalo. UaW I'm in right now, and it's a known sweetheart contract, our production guys are cheaper than stamping body parts in mexico, for now. The drivers do good, but so do all our nonunion steelhauler competition, so no bargaining power there, either. All the unions do at this point us get you market rate and charge dues money.
I don't know about longshoremen, but I can tell you positively there is a iatse local

I didn't say they should get it for free. But if they are not doing their job why should we be forced to pay them. That's what I'm saying. Forcing people to pay no matter what leads to corruption. Look at our government for god sakes. We have to pay them or go to jail. Corruption everywhere where right?

I didn't say they should get it for free. But if they are not doing their job why should we be forced to pay them. That's what I'm saying. Forcing people to pay no matter what leads to corruption. Look at our government for god sakes. We have to pay them or go to jail. Corruption everywhere where right?

You are saying that giving freeloaders a free ride so they can exploit the union is the answer? Just look at our government for gods sake and see how many freeloaders are taking advantage of that free ride. It will weaken and eventually destroy the future of all unions.

Last edited:
And there we have yet another who knows that I think and don't think. You sound a lot like docker to me. What's the matter, a little slow over at schoolgirls?

Whats up with the schoolgirls remark? Did I miss something or did you just go from saying everything sucks to calling members schoolgirls? What is your problem?

You are saying that giving freeloaders a free ride so they can exploit the union is the answer? Just look at our government for gods sake and see how many freeloaders are taking advantage of that free ride. It will weaken and eventually destroy the future of all unions.

It's obvious you are retired, there is very little representation anymore. Who is the freeloader then, the workers, or the local? Why is almost every contract concessionary in some way, even though there is a driver shortage?why is the shop I'm at a revolving door for groups of workers, seems the union has plenty of leverage, right?