TForce | Has anyone been using the Diad for awhile?

Apostolic

TB Legend
Credits
My terminal just started our training this week.
I was like a fish out of water,trying to figure out all of the function keys,from the first day of traning.

I use my computer at home on most of my off hours.
But this thing is a lot different.

I'm putting this thread up to ask if any of my co-workers on the UPS Freight truckingboards,thats been using them can offer any help for us rookies to get used to using them?

We have gotten the first two stages of the training,knowing the key functions.
Also the 4X4,next week we get to find out the rest.

The first stage was giving me fits,the second stage seemed to be easier.

I thought if I couldn't get with the program I'd of had to become a dock worker,untill I could catch up?

So whoever has been using them ,and are used to them.
What can the rest of use look forward too?
Thanks for any tips,or help,you can offer.

APO, haven't had to use one in over a year. But believe me when I say practice makes perfect. Just give it a little time. After a month of daily use, you'll be a whiz kid on it. Of course they update the boards every couple years and you have re-learn it all over again. But it's no biggie.

I talked to a regular UPS parcel guy that uses these Diads all the time Krash..
Their set-up is way different than ours.
All they have to do is to scan the bar code on their shipping lables.
Now we on the other hand have to punch in a lot of information,for billing,and tracking shippments.
After all these years in trucking (44) now,I've always thought the UPS parcel drivers had such a difficult job?
But I can see we will have it better when we catch up to their technology.

I've always said parcel,and freight are worlds apart,I'm seeing I'm right on that point.

They get a lot more stops,but theirs are close together,and they can just drop it,and go.

Our routes are stretched out,and we are at the mercy of shipping,and receiving people.
We need loading docks.
Theirs probaly a million other differences I'm not thinking of?
We are all working hard to make a living,and we are UPSer's this is the only thing I see we have in common so far.

Apo, they also double as a chock block. Near the end of the training, they'll spend a few hours on how to properly place the diad under the tire.

hugnlug these little babys are $1400.00 a pop.

So far some guy had one fall out of his door somehow when he was backing in somewhere.
Our Diad teacher told us it fell under his wheel,and became little plastic pieces.

He says that UPS fixes the ones that can be fixed when they break.

They have belt clips to hold them,but he says they slid off sometimes.
He also says theres fabric pouches that attach to our belt,and most drivers like them the best.
He told my TM to order both the clips,and the pouches,to see what works the best for us.
He also told us that 81% of UPS Freight has been taught to use them.
Its our terminals turn.

I'm finding the more I play with it the better I'm getting at seeing how the function keys work.

I did think though if most of our company has learned how to use them.
That surely someone on our UPS Freight truckingboard forum would be able to give the rest of us unlearned,and semi-unlearned like me some good tips,or pointers on getting up to speed.
But so far its not looking very good?

Isn't anyone out of the 81% of our company on here that can spill the beans about the care,and operations of this new Diad technology?

If I already knew and was currently using it,you all know I'd be more than willing to spill my guts,on whats the best way to get used to it,and put it into practise?

So calling all diad user's,where the TECH are you?

YUP its help I'm asking for,any tips,or tid-bits will be greatly apperciated,thank you.

I'm on my third diad. The third times a charm. I've given them the stress test!! The first one didn't like sand. The second took a beating in a downpour, I guess they are not made for sub duty either. This one I leave in the truck and only bring it out for special occassions. And since I haven't had any special occassions, it should last a while. That's if I don't drop it too much. When they work right there great. I can't wait for the day when we are paperless.

So now your sharing the fact that you've gone through all of the training,and your using this new to us techno box hugnlug?

Why didn't you say so in the first place?
Or maybe you did,and I missed it?

So what do you do with it?
Do you pe-con all of your pick-ups,on it?

I'm asking what do you have to do with it?

Our teacher said his terminal has been using them for a short time,and when they first started,some of the drivers were putting in the wrong zip codes,by mistake.

We can't get a lot of other information from this guy,other than the fact that he has to get us caught up with this technology,ASAP.

So can you please share anything more about the use of this Diad hugnlug?

I'm just asking you for any help you know.
I beg of you.....HELP!!!

So now your sharing the fact that you've gone through all of the training,and your using this new to us techno box hugnlug?

Why didn't you say so in the first place?
Or maybe you did,and I missed it?

So what do you do with it?
Do you pe-con all of your pick-ups,on it?

I'm asking what do you have to do with it?

Our teacher said his terminal has been using them for a short time,and when they first started,some of the drivers were putting in the wrong zip codes,by mistake.

We can't get a lot of other information from this guy,other than the fact that he has to get us caught up with this technology,ASAP.

So can you please share anything more about the use of this Diad hugnlug?

I'm just asking you for any help you know.
I beg of you.....HELP!!!

I never did mention the diad so you didn't miss any comments. I guess my priorities are on helping us and others achieve our ultimate goal, organization. The diad will make your life easier as you use it more and more. It does crash once in a while, but its easy to reboot. All your daily deliveries and pick-up will come from it. All info from dispatch will also be conveyed to you thru the diad. Good luck!!

Well thanks for the come back hugnlug,I think?

So this little brown box is going to be our new dispather?

If it crashes like you say,do we smack it on the dash,or rear of the trailer a few times to reboot it?

I still can't believe theres no-one that can give out anymore information on the operation of this mystery teckno box?

Our instructer claims theres already 81 % of our company used to using them,so where in the world are they?

I guess they have better things to do than posting on the truckingboards?

So many qestions,and so few answers?

But thanks again for your info hugnlug,(I THINK?)

APO,
You asked for any help, which I tried to provide. Regular use is the only way you'll get the hang of it. I know that most "UPS" drivers only have to scan a pkg and the info pop's up. But there are still places that do not have PAS/EDD so they still have to sheet each and every stop manually. Those who are, also have GPS in there board which let's them know with an alarm when they sheet up a pkg and they are not at the address. UPS claims it's to prevent miss-deliveries but we know different.
Now feeder driver's use an IVIS for TDP which is mounted in the tractor and is nothing like the DIAD.

OK Krash thanks for your offering to my Diad thread.
Your right I was looking for info,and you did help a little.

Next week we have to cram 3 hours of knowledge for the balance of out tranining at my terminal.
It was hard for me just to retain what the function keys were for from the first stage of traning.
So I think what I was really looking for was some short cuts to learn how to use it all the time without getting busted for messing up.

Up here in Rochester, New York the dock is very very cold this time of year.
I'm very blessed to have high enough senority to take a pass when it comes to working the dock.
But if I can't get with the program with this Diad training I may have to go to fultime dock,till I can arrange my retirement.

To think I made it to 44 years of driving truck for a living and this little brown plastic box could be my ticket to a rocking chair,till my dirt dinner comes around?

Oh well its my nature just to see what happens with this like anything elses that comes my way.
I do everything unto God,and he takes care of the rest.
No worrys,no fussing,I'll just see how everything plays out?

OK Krash thanks for your offering to my Diad thread.
Your right I was looking for info,and you did help a little.

Next week we have to cram 3 hours of knowledge for the balance of out tranining at my terminal.
It was hard for me just to retain what the function keys were for from the first stage of traning.
So I think what I was really looking for was some short cuts to learn how to use it all the time without getting busted for messing up.

Up here in Rochester, New York the dock is very very cold this time of year.
I'm very blessed to have high enough senority to take a pass when it comes to working the dock.
But if I can't get with the program with this Diad training I may have to go to fultime dock,till I can arrange my retirement.

To think I made it to 44 years of driving truck for a living and this little brown plastic box could be my ticket to a rocking chair,till my dirt dinner comes around?

Oh well its my nature just to see what happens with this like anything elses that comes my way.
I do everything unto God,and he takes care of the rest.
No worrys,no fussing,I'll just see how everything plays out?

UPS kept you in mind. With the docks being so cold, These new diads are heated so your fingers won't get cold. Its the button on the left bottom side.

Yeah right BusterNite rub it in,you road drivers don't have to have anything to do with these little brown plastic boxes.

All you have to do is turn the steering wheel,shift a few gears,and tow your wiggle wagons from point (A) to point (B).

We city drivers have to finger print freight,and now we have to be techno wizes!

Yeah right BusterNite rub it in,you road drivers don't have to have anything to do with these little brown plastic boxes.

All you have to do is turn the steering wheel,shift a few gears,and tow your wiggle wagons from point (A) to point (B).

We city drivers have to finger print freight,and now we have to be techno wizes!

Not true, Once in a while we have to think.:hysterical:

(Think) BusterNite?
Everything is routed for you to run the same lanes.
Any dispatcher thats worth his paycheck either has your set hooked for you,or gives you the trailer numbers according to the weights in the lead,and tail.

The only thinking you may do is if you want to stop ay Mickey Dee's,or Booger King to chow down,along the way.

techno wizes!!!:hysterical: maybe it's time for you old timers to retire. :thread:

DIAD Info

HEY APO/:
Don't panic about the diads....Like it was said earlier Practice makes better......I have been on the diad here on the left coast since Sept and it really does get easier......Big Brown and I have compared diads when we meet at certain stops and they look the same but remember Parcel and Freight are TWO different worlds......Here comes the big tip of the day to REBOOT press A,X and K and HOLD til the screen goes white and then release-the reboot will take you back to the start up SIGN ON screen.... If you travel in out laying areas, moutain passes, canyons, forrests or other areas of GOD's beatifull earth they sometimes are s l oooooo w to respond but the memory holds the information for radio contact back to the IS Center. If you really need more details contact direct but don't panic it is scary to start but it does get better......My biggest complaint is like you I have spent years on the typewriter and keyboard and I just haven't found all the letters easily on the diad............

Now this is what I've been looking for bigred67.

Thanks a lot.
I told my TM its the old saying its hard to teach old dogs new tricks.

He says we all have to get used to them if we want to or not.
He doesn't want to hear anything about old dogs ,from an old dog.

I've found that if I hold it in the palms of both hands,and use my thumbs to punch the keys,its a lot easier.

I have finally concord the first stage that was giving me fits.
Now I can get 14 questions out of 14 right.
I took krash's advice and just kept messing with it.
Stage two the 4X4 was a lot easier to pick up.
Coming up this next week we have to get the rest of our tranining shoved in our grear jamming brains.
Than shortly after that we have to jump into action.

I realy,am greatful for every bit of help I can get from my truckingboard co-workers that are already using them.
So thanks again for your help bigred67.

Are we going to pe-con all of our pickups with them?

(Think) BusterNite?
Everything is routed for you to run the same lanes.
Any dispatcher thats worth his paycheck either has your set hooked for you,or gives you the trailer numbers according to the weights in the lead,and tail.

The only thinking you may do is if you want to stop ay Mickey Dee's,or Booger King to chow down,along the way.

Dunkin Donuts, I always have to think about what kind of donut I want.

Just wondering, Is there a safety class in regards to the diad board. I mean while your punching in the numbers, you should be walking back to the truck, Time is money. How safe is this.