have an interview with sysco riverside

duckdiver

TB Lurker
Credits
I have an interview with sysco riverside, I'm very excited to start a career with sysco so hopefully it goes well! I have driven for dot foods before so I'm not afraid of hard work, in fact I'm looking forward to it. It took me a year to get a call for an interview, I'm pretty stoked, they're on my list of dream companies to work for as far as trucking goes.

Do not get real excited. It seems good at first then you learn just how bad this company sucks and does not care about anyone. Our director of transportation went out there and moved up to vp got fired with in 6 months.

To clarify, the position I applied to is in riverside, California.
Had the interview with the transportation manager today, he seems like a good guy, I thought it went well. After, I did the road test, the supervisor said I did good.

After that they said they would call me, I thought they would have sent me to a drug screen and physical agility test but they didn't, hope I get the job.

To clarify, the position I applied to is in riverside, California.
Had the interview with the transportation manager today, he seems like a good guy, I thought it went well. After, I did the road test, the supervisor said I did good.

After that they said they would call me, I thought they would have sent me to a drug screen and physical agility test but they didn't, hope I get the job.

Careful what you wish for.

Out in Cali, Sysco may be alot different, the union is super strong out there, years ago I looked into going to work in San Diego for Sysco and the waiting list was long. Duckdriver may be in a good situation, I don't know personally but I sure hope the best for you Duck, there are alot worse jobs than Sysco, Fedex Freight comes to mind, I'm sure there are alot better also.

Thanks, any job is really hard to get in San Diego. All the sysco drivers I spoke with were happy about their jobs. I've been in trucking long enough to know there are a lot worse companies than sysco than there are better companies

Thanks, any job is really hard to get in San Diego. All the sysco drivers I spoke with were happy about their jobs. I've been in trucking long enough to know there are a lot worse companies than sysco than there are better companies
Here in Oklahomo we are right to work, its a constant battle to keep union members, one that I fight on a daily basis, mgmt really has the upper hand due to the non union workers that try and gain the favor of mgmt.

We got alot of Sterlings from LA, riverside, and somewhere else over in Cali, they were all clean, old trucks but nice trucks, seems the guys cared, that says alot to me!

I wish you the best of luck, I hope you get the job and make the best of it, thats what I try and do daily, its hard to do here, but I keep plugging away at it, when I think about my time at Fedex, I'm pretty fortunate to be at Sysco. I wouldn't go back to FXF if I was living under a bridge, Sysco here can be bad but its not bad enough for me to walk away. I really hope its awesome for you out there.

I almost forgot, welcome to TruckingBoards, this is a great place, I hope you find a good home here, we have a great group of people here in the food section!!

Do you guys get a lot of overtime? During the interview they made it seem like they stick to 40 hours a week and really limit it which I found odd for trucking as I'm used to working 70hr weeks

Do you guys get a lot of overtime? During the interview they made it seem like they stick to 40 hours a week and really limit it which I found odd for trucking as I'm used to working 70hr weeks

In KC yes. Avg about 55 right now, that's moving at a pretty good pace. I'd say 50-60 is the avg at my opco with most of us toward the high end of that.
Surprising that they stick closer to 40 out there. Sysco seems to have gotten a "do more with less" attitude lately which has upped the hours, at least here. If that IS the case you're pretty lucky, this isn't a job you can work 60-70/hrs a week at long term. I really wish they'd cut us to 4 days here or do something else to scale the hours back. They'd keep more people and cut down on the injuries.

I hope there is some overtime, I believe they only pay hourly and nothing else. He did mention there are some shifts like 4/10s or 3/13s

I hope there is some overtime, I believe they only pay hourly and nothing else. He did mention there are some shifts like 4/10s or 3/13s

Sounds ok in the surface, my transportation manager seemed like a good guy at my interview. The Sysco opco's around here work is 5 13's

We have a guy here that works 5 days, 2 of those he does a whole trailer for a hospital, all pallets, then comes back and does a big fat route, he works a little over 40, he is fast! I wish I was that fast but I'm to old for that. I bid my routes based on case count, low case counts, my route has grown so much over the winter that I work a minimum of 12 hrs a day now. The money is good but like Lazlo I would like to move to 4 days, we just can't get the people. I would be all over the 3/13 deal, around here they would route you out for 19 and hope you came in 3 hrs ahead...LOL!

Our opco is on 4 days a week that is the nice part. You can bet if they pay hourly they will keep you at 40hrs. The people here that are hourly they get 40 they are sent home.

We have a guy here that works 5 days, 2 of those he does a whole trailer for a hospital, all pallets, then comes back and does a big fat route, he works a little over 40, he is fast! I wish I was that fast but I'm to old for that. I bid my routes based on case count, low case counts, my route has grown so much over the winter that I work a minimum of 12 hrs a day now. The money is good but like Lazlo I would like to move to 4 days, we just can't get the people. I would be all over the 3/13 deal, around here they would route you out for 19 and hope you came in 3 hrs ahead...LOL!

That makes me tired just reading it ha-ha! You won't see me running two trailers in one day, not because I'm lazy, but because there aren't enough hours in the day, plus I would eventually just run out of gas, I'm not the fastest I'll keep going and going till my day is done, but I can't do that. I only want to leave the yard once in a day, I'm not into leaving it then coming back and leaving again. When I come back in the next trip out of the yard is me in my car going ha-ha!

The 2 days we have off over the weekend is almost barely enough. Like yesterday didn't even feel like Friday to me. It was a long day I was swing driving so I was last truck back. It wasn't the heaviest, but it wasn't the lightest either high 700s almost 800s case count wise, it was no 11,000lbs day it was pushing almost 19,000lbs. 14 stops 125 miles and the route was a combination of things, because I had two customers say "He's usually here at 10:30am" That's when I knew the sequences were all off. Basically my 3rd last stop could have been another trucks 4th stop, you know how it goes.

Usually I say to my self "We can't be late, we don't know this route or if this is even a legitimate route to begin with and not something that was slapped together 10 hours prior to when I came into work."

Last edited:
Good for you I saw a Sysco driver today at one of my stops working for the world famous Sysco Cleveland, (Sysco Cleveland is the most famous Sysco Opco in all of the United States of America :1036316054:.)